How many pets are your limit? - Page 9 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
View Poll Results: How many pets is the most you can handle?
1-3 65 52.85%
4-6 42 34.15%
7-9 10 8.13%
10 or more 6 4.88%
Voters: 123. You may not vote on this poll

8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #81 of 92 (permalink) Old 09-18-2018, 08:55 PM

At one point we had 3 cats and 2 dogs in the house. They all pretty much got along. Now, I limit it to 2 dogs. I want the energy to work with them, not just survive having them.

And if my hubby ever gets a fish tank it is 100% his responsibility...
Sabis mom likes this.

about.me/car2ner
Patton CGC BH
Chief fetch fanatic

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #82 of 92 (permalink) Old 09-18-2018, 10:33 PM
Crowned Member

Well, at one point I had 21 dogs, 7 cats and a chicken. In my house.
Over the years I have had horses, goats, doves, snakes and various other creatures and critters.
For years between patrol dogs, fosters and my pets I maintained 3-9 dogs. Then I had 3 dogs, then 2 dogs and when Bud died I had just one dog in the house for the first time since I was a child.
I like it.
I know for a fact that I can handle multiple dogs, and who knows what the future holds, but I have truly enjoyed being able to focus 100% on Shadow. She likes it as well.
post #83 of 92 (permalink) Old 09-19-2018, 07:33 AM

Right now, no more than 2 dogs and 2 cats. That's my limit.

If we ever get our 40 acres, more dogs will be fine and any cats can then "safely" be indoor-outdoor (Safely as in: not get run over by a car and highly unlikely to be preyed upon due to the canine presence).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #84 of 92 (permalink) Old 09-19-2018, 11:34 AM

For me depends on what all kinds of animals you're talking about. For me at the moment I'd prefer 2 dogs, possibly 3 but 2 would be ideal, only have one right now. I could handle several cats, but all of mine are indoor/outdoor. 4 would probably be the max I'd go inside/outside but a couple more if they were mostly feral and outside only would be doable. At one point we had 2 horses, 2-3 dogs, and 4 cats and that was fine. One thing is it really depends on the individual animal personalities and how they all interact with each other and any people in the house. By myself with nobody else in the picture I would probably have 2 dogs and 1 maybe 2 cats if I had two cats close to each other.
post #85 of 92 (permalink) Old 09-19-2018, 02:56 PM
Elite Member

I don't have a "limit" per say, but it all depends on how much time I have to care for them, how much space they require, and if it is financially feasible. Right now I have 1 dog, 1 cat, 1 snail (its fish buddy just died), and 6 newts. I would LOVE to get another dog but we just can't afford another right now.

SQUIRREL!

Last edited by GandalfTheShepherd; 09-19-2018 at 02:58 PM.
post #86 of 92 (permalink) Old 09-19-2018, 03:15 PM
Elite Member

We moved to a place with a few acres in the country so we could have animals. Right now we only have two GSDs and a cat. And that's my limit! When the kids are more independent, I'll almost certainly get some outdoor pets--chickens and possibly goats or a miniature donkey. If my kids were older, and if food, heartworm/flea control, and veterinary care were less expensive, I would probably welcome a 3rd dog.
post #87 of 92 (permalink) Old 09-20-2018, 07:44 AM

We currently have 2 dogs and 2 cats. Cats are indoor only, though I'm considering letting the male become indoor/outdoor since he's a menace to the female cat.
The shiba is more like owning a cat in that he doesn't really like doing anything. He'll play a bit, but for the most part he lays around and sleeps. So I guess, technically, it's 1 dog and 2 cats and 1 faux cat lol.

I wouldn't mind another dog (my husband might, though). I already train with a group that does IPO and that's what I would like to do with my next one. Katsu could do it, but she wouldn't excel at it like she does nosework.

If my husband could have it his way, we'd have 7 cats. He loves cats even though he has allergies to them.

+ Kalbi CGC 6/21/2015
+ Blackthorn's Out of the Frying Pan NW1 SCN BCAT SIN RATN TKN (Katsu) 9/12/2017
+ Blackthorn's Skofnung RATI RATN RATO (Steel) 07/23/2018
post #88 of 92 (permalink) Old 09-20-2018, 10:08 PM

I always envisioned having one dog, and we have one dog.

I can't imagine double the poop, walking 2 dogs (separately and together), or dealing with their interactions (what if they don't always get along)! I sometimes think that Rumo would love to have a "dog sibling" but I personally don't want another dog.

When I'm jogging down the trail with Rumo on a nice fall day...one human and one big dog feels pretty perfect, more than enough!

@Sabis mom: "...21 dogs, 7 cats and a chicken. In my house. " WOW.....and the chicken was alive and well....WOW.

Rumo ~ rescue shepherd/husky mix
post #89 of 92 (permalink) Old 09-21-2018, 12:13 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSDchoice View Post
I always envisioned having one dog, and we have one dog.

I can't imagine double the poop, walking 2 dogs (separately and together), or dealing with their interactions (what if they don't always get along)! I sometimes think that Rumo would love to have a "dog sibling" but I personally don't want another dog.

When I'm jogging down the trail with Rumo on a nice fall day...one human and one big dog feels pretty perfect, more than enough!

@Sabis mom: "...21 dogs, 7 cats and a chicken. In my house. " WOW.....and the chicken was alive and well....WOW.
Great Dane, Elkhound, Bluetick, Rottie/Lab and 17 various Terrier types from medium SCWT to large Airedale cross. Momma cat and 6 kittens someone left on my doorstep and Priscilla Hen who ruled the roost. No fights, no issues, no sleep, lol.
This is why I maintain that it's all about rules. I tolerated no crap, ever. We got along and I headed of building issues before they started. Pris actually lived outside and in the garage but was frequently found meandering through the kitchen tuning up errant pups. Chickens purr when they are happy!
post #90 of 92 (permalink) Old 09-21-2018, 12:21 AM
Elite Member

Two cats, one GSD, one fish and 2 children - thats all the animals I can handle!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page