mistreated pets - German Shepherd Dog Forums
View Poll Results: What kind of steps do you take to care for them?
Everything I can 7 70.00%
Almost everything 3 30.00%
Just the basic 0 0%
to an extent 0 0%
Not so much 0 0%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-20-2015, 11:36 AM Thread Starter

mistreated pets

This poll is mainly just for an assignment I have to do for a class, where i have to do primary research (bleh). In general my topic is about the mistreatment on pets, whether it be about neglect, abuse, or any other form mistreatment. So if you guys can take a couple of minutes to do this it will help greatly.

Blaze 3 Year!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Athena 8 yrs
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Max 8 yrs

Thor 4 Yrs

Sacha 5 Yrs

Lacy 5 Yrs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-20-2015, 11:44 AM Thread Starter

I would also like to add, that it's sticking around till the 18th of Dec. Also any other help on the subject would be greatly appreciated, and just post whatever you feel you need to add. Thx

Blaze 3 Year!!

Athena 8 yrs

Max 8 yrs

Thor 4 Yrs

Sacha 5 Yrs

Lacy 5 Yrs
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-20-2015, 01:09 PM
Crowned Member

I don't think the poll is clear on what you are asking.

What mistreated pets? In shelters? Privately owned? Are you asking if people go out and try to adopt mistreated pets intentionally? Steal them from their abusers? Rehab and rehome or keep them forever? Euthanize to release them from their demons? Start a rescue for them? Warehouse the unadoptable ones in a sanctuary?

More importantly, even in rescue, we don't always KNOW which ones have or have not been abused. Some dogs are just shy by nature (even some owned dogs who've been in good homes from puppyhood), but people wrongly assume it's because they were mistreated.

There's also a huge conceptual gap between dogs that have been neglected and those that have been physically abused. And even in the neglect category, there are those whose psychological needs were simply ignored (growing up without exercise or training in a wealthy home where they were otherwise fed and care for), others that were loved and got good psychological care in a poor home that couldn't afford vet care and developed illness (e.g., heartworms), and others that were left on a chain to starve to death or discarded with serious wounds on the side of the road to die. That's the spectrum of neglect. So what are you getting at?

I really can't wrap my mind around what you are trying to get out of the "data" you hope to generate.

Last edited by Magwart; 11-20-2015 at 01:16 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-20-2015, 01:21 PM
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magwart View Post
I don't think the poll is clear on what you are asking.

What mistreated pets? In shelters? Privately owned? Are you asking if people go out and try to adopt mistreated pets intentionally? Steal them from their abusers? Rehab and rehome or keep them forever? Euthanize to release them from their demons? Start a rescue for them? Warehouse the unadoptable ones in a sanctuary?

More importantly, even in rescue, we don't always KNOW which ones have or have not been abused. Some dogs are just shy by nature (even some owned dogs who've been in good homes from puppyhood), but people wrongly assume it's because they were mistreated.

There's also a huge conceptual gap between dogs that have been neglected and those that have been physically abused. And even in the neglect category, there are those whose psychological needs were simply ignored (growing up without exercise or training in a wealthy home where they were otherwise fed and care for), others that were loved and got good psychological care in a poor home that couldn't afford vet care and developed illness (e.g., heartworms), and others that were left on a chain to starve to death or discarded with serious wounds on the side of the road to die. That's the spectrum of neglect. So what are you getting at?

I really can't wrap my mind around what you are trying to get out of the "data" you hope to generate.
I agree--I don't really understand, the poll itself doesn't seem to correlate with what your posts say. Maybe you can clarify a bit--the poll questions seem aimed at pet owners in general and the level of care we give our animals, but not about abuse or neglect.

Susan
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-20-2015, 03:22 PM
Crowned Member

What pets? Dogs, fish, hamsters?
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-20-2015, 03:51 PM
Master Member

I'll own clicking on 'almost everything' because there is always more you can do. I've seen end of life care for humans, pretty sure you can do the same for dogs, and no, I would not send a pet somewhere to be put onto a respirator, or other 'heroic' technological measures etc.. I may have a different interpretation of what 'everything' means. If someone hires a dog walker once a day, they could hire a dog walker twice a day, or a live in care-giver for there dog to cuddle and exercise your dog while you are at work. Or you could move from your suburban home to large acreage, go into debt fencing it in, and give your dog extra room to play all day.
Maybe I'm over-thinking the questions?
Or maybe the questions could be really specific. Rescue organizations have questionaires, how much $ do you spend per year on vet care (with dollar amount ranges & check boxes), how much exercise, do you take training classes, where does the dog sleep, where does the dog stay when you are at work. How much time does your dog spend alone. Maybe some dog rescues could show you their questions and you can set up a more complicated poll or just change the poll to a few aspects of dog care.

SONIC (Potcake+BC) DOB JL 2014, Mine Jan 12 2016

Cats: Riker, Simba, Batman
Angels: Dynamo GSD, Zandor GSD Mix, Misha GSD
Me: Artist, geeked out on dog training
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-21-2015, 11:21 AM

I agree with others, in that the questions don't really provide good categories with definite answers. I'm surprised your teacher didn't help you design questions. I don't really even feel like I can honestly answer the poll.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-04-2015, 02:35 PM
Knighted Member

To be fair to the OP, survey research is one of the hardest types to conduct. It's hard to write good, clear, discrete items that really get at the kind of data you want to collect.

That being said, yes the professor should have helped with this.

The first step would have been defining your population of pets (dogs, cats, pets in your neighborhood, etc.). The second would have been using concrete, measurable actions to create a set survey items. I would not think that you could get useful information from a single item. What's more, each item should ask a clear, unambiguous question, and the response options within each item should also be unambiguous and not overlap with one another.

I'll stop there, but I'll leave it at yeah, your instructor kind of hung you out to dry on this if they wanted you to take a poll or survey and didn't give you any guidance for how to construct a good one.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-04-2015, 02:44 PM
The Administrator from the Great White North, eh?

It would also help if you showed some interest in your information gathering. Sounds like you don't care one way or another, and are only doing this because you have to.

So that being the case, why should we all do your work for you?

I'd be happy to participate, if I knew you were taking the assignement more seriously by putting some thought into the subject you are researching, and really cared about the results.

Lucia

2009-2018

Keeta BH, OB1, TR1, AD
Rottweiler/Hairy Dog mix?? 2004-2015
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-04-2015, 02:49 PM
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

WHose mistreated pets?

I'm confused. I agree with the others that if you can describe exactly what you are really looking for, we can answer the poll better.

Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus NA NAJ NF

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page