How many dogs have a purpose? - German Shepherd Dog Forums
View Poll Results: My dogs primary job is to ______??
be my companion. 43 81.13%
breed a strong bloodline. 1 1.89%
compete in dog sports. 3 5.66%
be a working dog. 4 7.55%
do something else. 2 3.77%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-27-2015, 04:51 PM Thread Starter

How many dogs have a purpose?

Hey guys,

I'm curious to find out how many of you all have a dog for companionship or for money like breeding or competition or as working dogs?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-27-2015, 04:55 PM
Knighted Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Cheyanna
Fiona is my service dog. That is her purpose.

Cheyanna
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Handler for Service Dog, Fiona Van Sandstein (5/23/12 -- )
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-27-2015, 04:59 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheyanna View Post
Fiona is my service dog. That is her purpose.
whats the service fiona performs?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-27-2015, 05:35 PM

My dog falls somewhere in between. I wanted a companion, a protector, and a competitive sporting dog, and I knew my Dutchie could be all three. Would I get rid of him if he failed to be one or two of the three? No. But I'd probably get a second dog to fulfill that need.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-27-2015, 05:42 PM
Elite Member

My dog's role is companion and exercise partner. I didn't want guard or protector, but it came with the package. My ball throwing skills have improved a lot with the daily practice.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-27-2015, 05:49 PM

I voted "do something else" though I suppose I could have picked "be a companion"... but that didn't quite feel right. I didn't get my dog to have a companion; I got my dog to put him to work, for me. To track coyotes and deer, to carry items on hikes, to look plain mean and scare away people that have bad intentions and to help motivate me to live a more active lifestyle.

On that note I suppose one thing you left out in your poll, unless you consider it to be in the "be a working dog" category is a guard dog. (Which for the record I don't think my dog belongs in that category).

When the stars threw down their spears,
And watered heaven with their tears:
Did he smile his work to see?

Did he who made the Lamb, make thee?
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-27-2015, 06:10 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryGirl01 View Post
I voted "do something else" though I suppose I could have picked "be a companion"... but that didn't quite feel right. I didn't get my dog to have a companion; I got my dog to put him to work, for me. To track coyotes and deer, to carry items on hikes, to look plain mean and scare away people that have bad intentions and to help motivate me to live a more active lifestyle.

On that note I suppose one thing you left out in your poll, unless you consider it to be in the "be a working dog" category is a guard dog. (Which for the record I don't think my dog belongs in that category).
i used the broad categories that was in our forums in terms of "topics." breeding, dog sports or working dogs. the companion was my answer and then of course there's always someone who feels they are in the "other" categories.

but i too picked up a high drive dog intentionally to keep me out of the house and/or off my butt. i'm hoping with all the new skills were learning, i can transition my ziggy from being a companion to competition or working dog. we'll see.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-27-2015, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZiggytheSheprador View Post
i used the broad categories that was in our forums in terms of "topics." breeding, dog sports or working dogs. the companion was my answer and then of course there's always someone who feels they are in the "other" categories.

but i too picked up a high drive dog intentionally to keep me out of the house and/or off my butt. i'm hoping with all the new skills were learning, i can transition my ziggy from being a companion to competition or working dog. we'll see.
Same here, would love to get my dog into something like SAR if I ever find the time and if he fits the criteria.

And I wasn't trying to imply that there was something wrong with your poll, just making an observation. Sorry if it came off that way, and I did try my best to pick the right answer lol

When the stars threw down their spears,
And watered heaven with their tears:
Did he smile his work to see?

Did he who made the Lamb, make thee?
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-27-2015, 06:49 PM

Butters is just my companion/house pet and eventual work-out buddy. (once I'm actually able to jog for more than 2 minutes without getting a cramp. lol)

Though, even if I had the time and money to do more with her, I don't think I would. She's happy just being around us, snoozing, playing, etc. She's pretty mellow and isn't a high-drive dog, so she really does make the perfect house pet.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-27-2015, 11:30 PM

I marked companion, though my dog will have an official 'job'. But, as others have stated, I also wanted: a dog to encourage/require me to get out into the world more and make me feel safer in it (hiking, travel, backpacking, etc.), a dog that would look intimidating to deter questionable people, a 'hobby' to take up a dog sport or two for fun, a constant companion/friend to traverse with.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page