Prong small 2.25 vs medium 3.0 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
View Poll Results: What is the best size prong collar for a growing GS?
Herm Sprenger small 2.25 10 47.62%
Herm Sprenger medium 3.0 11 52.38%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-18-2015, 09:45 AM Thread Starter

Prong small 2.25 vs medium 3.0

I have a 6 1/2 (64lb) old puppy who I'm about to get started on working with the prong collar and I'm curious on which one I should get for a growing GS. I'm definitely getting a Herm Sprenger, but just curious about the 2.25 vs the 3.0 for a growing GS. I've read pros for both sides, so I figured I'd make a poll to get a more definite verdict. Any other tips/suggestions would also me greatly appreciated, thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-18-2015, 09:52 AM
Crowned Member

I use the 2.25 for obedience training, which is controlled and focused work. Anything else you need the 3. An adult dog will rip the 2.25 apart if they decide to take off.

post #3 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-18-2015, 10:08 AM Thread Starter

I plan on using it for obedience down the road but my biggest need for it is stop the pulling. I've tried a couple different things to teach loose leash walking and they've been effective to an extent, but sometimes no matter how much slack I give him, he just wants to be at the end of it pulling/choking himself a little.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-18-2015, 10:18 AM

Well, I personally think a prong for a 6 1/2 month pup is too early. I put mine on at a year old. In the meantime do more obedience and redirecting exercises so he does not pull.

Also, the 2.25mm and 3mm prongs have different uses. The 2.25mm one is used for obedience and precision drills like heel work. 3mm on the other hand is used in protection in some dogs to agitate them so they get more aggressive and bite the sleeve harder.
post #5 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-18-2015, 10:52 AM Thread Starter

Nezzz, I know he's still young but I've tried a lot of different methods to stop it including stopping, turning around, having him come every time I feel a pull, and I even bought a no pull harness. The no pull harness has been pretty effective and has allowed me to delay the use of the prong collar, but he still has moments of heavy pulling. Also the harness isn't really teaching him what I want even though I still try to stop, turn, or make him come when I feel a pull. I realize patience is important with all of that but if he wasn't choking himself on the flat collar I would wait longer. The other problem is that my girl and friends take him out sometimes, and they can't control him as well as I can
post #6 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-18-2015, 10:57 AM
Crowned Member

For walking, you need a 3. You also need to teach him position! Start some perchwork with him, highly reward it. Take him for a walk with a ton of treats and reward him when he's in the right position.

Teach him to release to the pressure of hte leash. As as soon as he starts pulling, start backing up. As soon as he turns to look at you, get him back in the position you want and reward him.

And if your girl and friends can't control him on walks then they have no business taking him out. It's completely counter productive to teaching him out to walk on a leash.

post #7 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-18-2015, 11:01 AM
Crowned Member

You better go with the medium, like Jax said, the micro is going to weaken and come apart on you doing this.

Doc

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-18-2015, 11:15 AM

I use the 2.25mm for everything, with a nylon coke backup in case it comes apart. They are much easier to size, take less pressure on the leash and are easier to put on and take off.

When a dog saves the life of a man, it becomes clear that partnership knows no bounds.

Fama - T.E.D.D. OEF XI-XII (GSD)(RET)
Marshall - T.E.D.D. OEF XII-XIII (Lab)(SF EDD)
Lucian - Med Alert / Mobility SD (Cane Corso)
Pud - the old man (Pit x Lab)
post #9 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-18-2015, 11:20 AM Thread Starter

I haven't done any perchwork, but that looks like it could be very beneficial for us.

I always have treats on walks. I reward him when he looks back/gives me eye contact and when he's close to me. Problem is that sometimes he's not all that interested in treats on walks. I always have low and high value treats with me too. He likes treats, but I think playing is the best reward to him.
post #10 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-18-2015, 12:27 PM
Crowned Member

I like/use the 3.0 (medium size) for my dogs and any of the dogs I've had/have in for training.

Leesa~

Chaos v. Wildhaus, SchH2, OB3 (HOT) Forever in my heart ~ Bismark v. Wildhaus, SchH1 (HOT) ~ Kougar v. Wolfstraum, IPO 1, CGC (HOT)... Oberon v. Wildhaus, BH (HOT)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page