Arrangements in the Event of your Death? - German Shepherd Dog Forums
View Poll Results: Arrangements in the Event of your Death?
Yes, I have made arrangement in the event of my death. 8 40.00%
No, I have not made arrangements in the event of my death. 7 35.00%
I am thinking about it. 6 30.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-14-2015, 11:08 AM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Arrangements in the Event of your Death?

Hi! I was wondering how many of you had made arrangements for your animals in the event of your death. The recent death of my mother and husband put this in my head. My family members and friends, by and large, are not dog people and the one who do like animals are either strapped financially or have too many other responsibilities. I know that my family would do their best to find Newlie a good home, but I did not want to take a chance that Newlie might end up with someone who would hurt him or not take care of him. So, I talked to Newlie's trainer about this (He has a soft spot for Newlie, I can tell.) and he agreed that he would take Newlie as his own if something were to happen to me. I told my family about this and that his name and number are on my phone. I do feel better now that this is settled.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-14-2015, 11:14 AM
The "I'm not dead yet" Administrator.

Yes. I have contingencies. I also have money in my estate set aside for their care. You need to make it official. Put it in writing, cause if worst case happens your family will be distraught and not thinking clearly.

"So that others may live"

Hannah vom Steffenhaus, BH, Wilderness SAR
Eisenhower v.d Polizei "Ike" Wilderness SAR, CGC
B'Lena z. Treuenhanden
Nixon vom Banach, RATN
Phoster, FEMA USAR(Labrador)
Ch. Pennywise Sticky Wicket(Dandie Dinmont Terrier)
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-14-2015, 11:18 AM
Elite Member

I really need to get on this!

Karin
Dutch Shepherd - Ptygo (Tee-Go) de las Flores
Rescue GSD - Freyja (Husband's Dog)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-14-2015, 11:38 AM
Knighted Member

I've had many surgeries in the last few years. ( I just got out of one last Sunday.) I have a very good friend that loves german shepherds and loves my dogs. I told my relatives that if anything happens to me to call her. That's really the most I made plans for the future.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-14-2015, 11:50 AM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsdsar View Post
Yes. I have contingencies. I also have money in my estate set aside for their care. You need to make it official. Put it in writing, cause if worst case happens your family will be distraught and not thinking clearly.
Yes, I need to make a new will anyway because, of course, my original will left everything to my husband. When I do that, I will put it in writing about Newlie and also set some money aside for his care.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-14-2015, 12:09 PM
Crowned Member

In the event of my death, my male stays with my husband and my female will most likely go to a friend to either keep or find an appropriate home (she's a little too much dog for my husband right now... but in time that will likely change). In the event my husband and I pass at the same time, my male goes to my parents and my female goes to said friend. I also have money set aside for their care.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-14-2015, 12:16 PM

If I go Bo stays wife my wife and kid, if we all ho he goes to my sister. She loves dogs and then like that down the line. Last would be the rescue I volunteer with.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-14-2015, 02:18 PM
Knighted Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Cheyanna
Fiona goes to her favorite aunt. She was going to go back to her breeder, because he loves her. But Fiona has bonded with my good friend. Every time Fiona sees her, she has a conversation with her. It is so cute, but people at work get mad when she barks. She is just talking to her friend.

Cheyanna
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Handler for Service Dog, Fiona Van Sandstein (5/23/12 -- )
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-14-2015, 04:41 PM

I have made arrangements with friends who will be active with my dogs if something were to happen to me. I also have a life insurance policy for their care.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-14-2015, 06:34 PM

It didn't occur to me but I'm certainly thinking about it now! This may be something I will discuss with the breeder. I love my family, but none them would be equipped for a high drive GSD. I know many breeders have a first right of refusal policy should you voluntarily give up the dog, I imagine many would extend this to if you died and had to involuntarily as well. If my future breeder is open to it I would have my future dog go back to them I imagine. If not, I hope to make some very solid friends in when I get my pup and start Schutzhund so perhaps one of them would want my pup. I'm only 23 and just starting out in life/my career so it's something that hadn't really occurred to me. Thank you for bringing this to my attention.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page