Attention RAW Feeders - German Shepherd Dog Forums
View Poll Results: Why did you choose to feed a RAW diet to your dog?
Itching 6 20.69%
Soft stools or diarrhea 1 3.45%
Clean teeth 11 37.93%
Poor coat condition 3 10.34%
Food sensitivities 5 17.24%
Overall Health 26 89.66%
Quality Control 12 41.38%
Breeder Request 0 0%
Illness 0 0%
Commercially made Raw 3 10.34%
Home made Raw 11 37.93%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-21-2015, 09:20 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Attention RAW Feeders

Why do you feed your dog a RAW diet?

Carmspack Gus
Nov/25/2012
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-21-2015, 09:39 PM
Knighted Member

I forgot to click it but I intially switched because my GSD always had digestive troubles on kibble, very rarely had a normal stool but on raw he's been doing fabulous not to mention the raw stool are so much smaller and break down so quickly. Other things I noticed were his coat became so shiny I almost needed sunglasses to look at him lol and all the build up on his teeth disappeared, they are pure white... no yellowing, no build up and no bad breath!

I do a prey model home made raw though I do supplement with omega's 3's and some of Carmen's supplements. I've seen big positive changes in all 3 of my dogs across the board, never going back to kibble.

Ollie vom Grunenfeld HIC CGC
Anastasia(Mishka) vom Feuergarten HIC
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-21-2015, 09:43 PM
Crowned Member

I initially switched due to quality control...it was when dogs were dying and then the recalls began in late 2006-early'07. My sisters pup(Onyx's littermate) died and it was pinpointed to bad kibble.

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-21-2015, 09:48 PM
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by onyx'girl View Post
I initially switched due to quality control...it was when dogs were dying and then the recalls began in late 2006-early'07. My sisters pup(Onyx's littermate) died and it was pinpointed to bad kibble.
That was another reason and another that I'd lost 3 pets to cancer back to back to back, I'm not saying raw fed dogs don't get cancer or have health problems but diet does play a huge role in health and like going to a reputable breeder I wanted to increase my odds of healthy long lived dogs.

Ollie vom Grunenfeld HIC CGC
Anastasia(Mishka) vom Feuergarten HIC
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-21-2015, 09:59 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

I myself had not thought about it until I met Carmen and saw her dogs. she had some older dogs that looked amazing and full of life. Their eyes were bright, coats shining.
I thought it was a crazy amount of work and rediculously expensive. ...my assumptions and I was wrong.
I had almost made the decision to never get another GSD after losing our first just shy of 7 yrs old. Then I started thinking about all the steroids he had been on for his horrid itching, enzymes for his EPI, meds for chronic ear infections, horrible breath. To this day I wonder if I could have increased his life span by feeding raw. ..something I will never know.

Gus has never been fed kibble. He looks fantastic and I too will never feed kibble to my dogs again.

Carmspack Gus
Nov/25/2012
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-21-2015, 09:59 PM

Mainly a money issue, went through a bunch of kibble to find the right one that didn't upset his stomach and that happened to be Orijen, but at $96.00 for a thirty pound bag was breaking the bank. Was able to buy two and a half to three months worth of food for that price.

Nitro- BH TT- GSD 7/2/11
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-21-2015, 10:01 PM
Crowned Member

I can't remember why I put Jax on raw. Nutra made her sick. Made all the dogs sick so it wasn't her. She started refusing TOTW. I think at that point I put her on raw. Then started the cat with IBD when I flipped the SD I/D over and ready "corn" as the second ingredient. Banshee was started when she started getting growths. Seger as always been on raw. He thinks kibble is candy.

post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-21-2015, 10:07 PM

Lots of different reasons so I voted overall health. Over the years, I've had numerous dogs, both rescues and purebreds. They've all had health problems of one type or another. I wanted to give Mystique the best possible chance so I researched for the best possible dog food to feed her. Turns out the best (in my opinion) isn't even dog food. Pearly white teeth, shiny soft coat, bright eyes, lots of energy... can't dispute that kind of evidence.

Mystique: Solid Black, 11/10/2013
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-21-2015, 10:17 PM

Overall health. Butters seemed to be doing okay on kibble (and we tried to get her the best. ..Or at least "best" as far as kibble goes), but when I saw all of the benefits of raw, I saw no reason not to do it. It was cheaper than kibble, better for her health, her teeth, her coat, etc.

Needless to say, I was not disappointed with the results. I will definitely be staying far, far away from kibble, and plan to switch my kittens to raw eventually as well.

Butters - 10/11/14
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-21-2015, 10:40 PM
Master Member

Dakota used to have constant hot spots and trouble holding any muscle on kibble. My other dog, Alice, stayed on kibble at first because she did fine. But I eventually switched her too after seeing how Dakota flourished on it. So I decided to put her and the puppy on raw for their overall health.

Dakonic German Shepherds

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page