Potty Training... Bell/no bell/another method - German Shepherd Dog Forums
View Poll Results: Which method do you prefer for your dog to signal he needs to go out?
I use the bell and love it. 1 6.67%
I just take him out on a schedule or watch his signals. 13 86.67%
I have another method that I like (scratch door, another method) 1 6.67%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-22-2014, 10:24 AM Thread Starter

Potty Training... Bell/no bell/another method

So my dog is now 15 weeks old and knows where to go but has no way of really signaling to me that he needs to go. I pay attention to him most of the time, and can recognize when he needs to go usually but I really want to find a way for him to get my attention, even if it's just scratching the door. I've heard about using the bell, but I've also heard that the dog will just learn to ring it just because he wants to go outside. Looking for ideas, recommendations, etc...

Thank you for any input
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-22-2014, 12:43 PM

I've never tried the bell thing. I have always just stuck to a schedule and the pup gets in the habit. When they need to go out they always managed to get my attention and let me know.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-22-2014, 12:54 PM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhaney81 View Post
... but I really want to find a way for him to get my attention, even if it's just scratching the door. ...

Thank you for any input
Careful what you wish for dhaney81.

I am a method 2 person (schedule and watch for signs) but lately his way of getting my attention is to act like a butt head. He starts breaking rules, disobeying and generally being a pain in the butt whenever he wants to go out. I am thinking of training him to ring the bell...

Linus van Pelt Haus Juris CGC. My Sweet Babboo, born March 17, 2014.

Madeline Ronan Heart (Maddie) Dec 1997 -- November 22, 2013 Rescue GSD, Sable
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-22-2014, 01:22 PM
Knighted Member

I've trained her to use a bell and I love it.

Yes, when she was younger, she would ring the bell at the site of a leaf, bird, butterfly, but she has not bluffed us in years.

It's funny now I have my parrot that when the bell is rung the parrot says "Dakota, want outside, go to your spot" (we have a special potty area).
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-22-2014, 02:51 PM Thread Starter

You're probably right Mister C, especially for when he gets bigger(which I can't wait for!). It's just hard for me to get on a precise take-out schedule. I usually just take him out every once in a while or I'll pick up on some of his signals and take him out. He really doesn't have that many more accidents in the house but if he had a way to signal me sometimes, I would think that those few would got to none hopefully. The bell doesn't seem worth it from what I'm hearing though.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-22-2014, 03:47 PM

When Dixie was younger I would take her out on a schedule, Now that she's older she will tell me when she needs to go potty. If I had a bell she would be one of those dog's that ring's it just because she want's to go out and play. Or ring it and when I acknowledge her bring me a toy lol

Bree

Dixie-Born 06-04-12
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-22-2014, 04:01 PM
Elite Member

I use to take him out often as a puppy. After he woke, a certain amount of time after he ate, etc. And if I saw any signs of searching to go. I work from home so it was really easy to watch him. He only had two mistakes his first week, which was mostly due to me watching him closely. I knew he was really trained when one night he woke me up whining to go outside. He had explosive diarrhea & was scratching at the door to go outside. He nearly jumped through the kitchen window (poor guy). If he had to go THAT bad and didn't I was convinced he was house trained.
We still have somewhat of a schedule now. When we wake up, sometimes at lunch time, after work & before bed. He doesn't always do both. Sometimes if he doesn't go poops he will later on in the night whine/moan when he is ready to go outside to do his business.

GSD/Dinozzo (A.K.A. SG Jocose vom Mittelwest); Cats: R.I.P. Xena & Zora; Ferrets/Falkor, Draco, Drogon

Last edited by KathrynApril; 12-22-2014 at 04:01 PM. Reason: added ", which was mostly due to me watching him closely."
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-22-2014, 04:07 PM
Elite Member

When I was growing up we use to have a golden retreiver & cocker spaniel mix (looks of a golden retreiver with cocker spaniel size legs)...who she would just bug you when she wanted to go out and if you asked her "Do you want to go out?" She would get all excited. She pretty much only went outside to go potty and played mostly in the house.

GSD/Dinozzo (A.K.A. SG Jocose vom Mittelwest); Cats: R.I.P. Xena & Zora; Ferrets/Falkor, Draco, Drogon
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-22-2014, 04:33 PM
Crowned Member

My dogs are all adult dogs and go outside on a schedule. If they need to go outside (differently than the schedule), they'll come tell me. They'll just stand and stare at me and I'll say "Do you need to go outside?" and they'll go to the door.

My Mini Doxie (who was a rescue because she couldn't be potty trained) is the only one that I have that will vocalize if I'm not paying attention to her wanting to go out. I think that's because she's small....I 'over look' her. So she'll do the potty song and dance for me.

Hondo Von Dopplet L Bauernhof "Hondo"- GSD
Lilie's Tug McGraw "Tug" - Golden Retriever
Maggie - Mini Dachshund (Rescue)
Lonestar Pivo - Texas Blue Lacy
Ashe - Barn Cat
Katie / APHA
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-22-2014, 04:45 PM

Somehow mine learned to bark at the door when he wants to go out. I didn't teach him that, but it works for us.

I used the bell for a previous dog and she used it to summon me for ridiculous things. It soured me on the bell but I should try it for our little Yorkie. It can't hurt.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page