Do you share food with your dog? - German Shepherd Dog Forums
View Poll Results: Do you share your food with your dog?
Yes. I don't mind if my dog begs. 27 16.36%
No, not while I'm eating, but sometimes a little afterward 107 64.85%
Never, because that makes you weak in the dog's eyes 5 3.03%
Never, because it's never good to give dogs any amount of human food. 26 15.76%
Voters: 165. You may not vote on this poll

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 64 (permalink) Old 11-18-2014, 09:19 PM Thread Starter

Do you share food with your dog?

I have a female GSD who was adopted at 1 y/o but never had people food from me.

My question is about a 2 y/o female Siberian Husky I just adopted. This dog is very alpha over my GSD. She was previously owned by a young and inexperienced owner who probably did everything wrong. I have noticed that she is very bad about begging whenever I walk into the kitchen. Obviously people have fed her while they ate, something I absolutely abhor. I knew even as a child that was not a smart idea.

The Husky loves car rides. I got some fast food while she was in the passenger seat. I made her sit and behave while I ate, making it very clear that it was my food and not hers.

But then it occurred to me as I was finishing that I have read Huskies are very much about pack dynamics. That's how twenty dogs could get along well enough to pull a sled together; they all had to know their place.

Obviously the pack leader eats first. But am I a better leader if I give the dog a tiny bit when I am done? And yes, people food is not for dogs, I understand, but I'm talking about a tiny amount. I am just wondering if it helps or hurts in establishing the owner's alpha role.

Last edited by Clancy_Wiggum; 11-18-2014 at 09:25 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 64 (permalink) Old 11-18-2014, 09:25 PM
Crowned Member

that husky knows you are not a dog so bury the alpha pack leader theory.

I do not give my food to my dogs. I used to when it was just Jax but Seger is way to pushy. My food is mine. Your food is yours. Period. I don't let any of them beg while I'm eating. I don't even let them stare at me while I'm eating. It drives me nuts.

post #3 of 64 (permalink) Old 11-18-2014, 09:32 PM
Crowned Member

....hmmm.....yeah i do. Everyone gets a little piece of something, sure. They dont beg though. They wait at the bottom of the stairs and i eventually flip them something
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 64 (permalink) Old 11-18-2014, 09:43 PM
Knighted Member

I have to make fruit/vegie smoothies with a Nutri-Bullet for my sister--strawberries, frozen blueberries, bananas, carrots, spinach, etc. so she can get super-digestible nutrients. The minute my two hear me get the Nutri-Bullet out, they dash into the kitchen and sit, happy expectant looks on their faces, because they know I'm going to toss a few goodies their way--they love it all!

Susan
post #5 of 64 (permalink) Old 11-18-2014, 10:22 PM
Elite Member

Kaiju knows that he loses the chance to get anything if he begs while I'm eating. But if he minds his own business and hangs out on his bed or chews a toy while I eat, I may chuck him some appropriate scraps. And he's well-mannered in the car, so it's not unheard of for me to grab him a little pupacinno at Starbucks or a kids froyo at a drive through. He just will never get it if he practices any bad behavior. So if I get him an ice cream at the drive through and he tries to nose into my face before I've offered it to him, you better believe it's getting trashed at the end of the lane (or I might eat it). I think the most important thing is to make sure that when you offer scraps, you aren't reinforcing behavior that you don't want.
post #6 of 64 (permalink) Old 11-18-2014, 11:47 PM

Exactly, begging gets nothing, ever. At the end of my plate if my dogs are relaxed they may get a nibble if it is appropriate food for them.

"If dogs could talk it would take a lot of the fun out of owning one."

Andy Rooney
post #7 of 64 (permalink) Old 11-18-2014, 11:59 PM
Elite Member

I chose yes, but I don't allow them to beg. If we're eating dinner we tell them to lay down.

I have shared a cheez it or two while I was snaking in the living room.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Riley - 11/05/2012-8/30/2013 (Myasthenia Gravis)
He will always be in my heart.
post #8 of 64 (permalink) Old 11-19-2014, 12:45 AM
Administrator & LOTR Addict

They must lie down and leave me be while I eat. Then I share with them. If they are rude, they get nothing. The begging doesn't bother me as much as the drooling.

Lisa Clark

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena IPO1 KKL CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) IPO2 KKL B/HOT, and gone but not forgotten,
Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

post #9 of 64 (permalink) Old 11-19-2014, 12:53 AM

If I'm cutting up raw chicken or beef I give them a slice but my dogs are always outside while we eat
post #10 of 64 (permalink) Old 11-19-2014, 01:14 AM
Crowned Member

I do but rarely. My dad is guilty of this and he gets busted every time. Misty my oldest tells on him every time. I can be in the other room and I know because he is the only one she barks at. I scream from the other room for him not to as I'm peeking around the corner and he is telling her to shush and telling her they are in trouble. Most of all I love his face as he tries to play it off. I don't really care that he does, but I enjoy his reaction

Misty- Samoyed Mix, Tannor- Golden Retriever CGC
Robyn- GSD CGC, TC, Midnite-GSD CGC,TC, Brennan-Golden Retriever CGC, Batman-Husky/Greyhound , Apollo-GSD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page