Do you let your dog sleep on your bed? - German Shepherd Dog Forums
View Poll Results: Do you let your dog sleep on your bed?
You NEVER let your dog on your bed 67 24.54%
Your dog sleeps on the bed with you every night 104 38.10%
The dog is occasionally aloud to sleep with you on the bed 46 16.85%
the dog sleeps in your bedroom with you, but it stays on the floor 56 20.51%
Voters: 273. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 131 (permalink) Old 11-13-2014, 07:55 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Question Do you let your dog sleep on your bed?

I am really curious as to how many people allow their pooches to share their beds with them at night. I have been trying to convince my parents since before we even got Lobo, to let him sleep with me on my bed; however my parents are of the opinion that it will create behavioral issues in the dog that otherwise would never arise. Their theory is that being allowed to share the same sleeping quarters as me will make him think that he has risen up on the totem pole of pack order.

So what do you guys think? I am looking for opinions, experiences and statistics on how many people share their bed with their dogs. Has anyone had a dog whose behavior took a turn for the worst after being allowed to sleep in the same space as its owner? Thank you all in advance, I am looking forward to your responses :D
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 131 (permalink) Old 11-13-2014, 07:57 PM
Master Member

No behavioral issues here but when I go to bed I put Gunther in his crate and when my husband goes to work he lets him up on the bed with me. He started taking up too much room on our queen bed haha and the running in his sleep was waking us up.
post #3 of 131 (permalink) Old 11-13-2014, 08:01 PM

Gunner has his own bed on the floor right beside our bed.

APRIL

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
NIKO-9-12-02
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
12-17-13

GUNNER-11-07-13
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 131 (permalink) Old 11-13-2014, 08:02 PM
Crowned Member

The dogs can sleep wherever they want. Most of the time I have 5 out of the 6 in bed with me. I bought a King size bed to accommodate all of us. No behavior issues at all.

Misty- Samoyed Mix, Tannor- Golden Retriever CGC
Robyn- GSD CGC, TC, Midnite-GSD CGC,TC, Brennan-Golden Retriever CGC, Batman-Husky/Greyhound , Apollo-GSD
post #5 of 131 (permalink) Old 11-13-2014, 08:05 PM
Elite Member

My dogs have always slept with me... Behavioral issues will come up long before the bed, lol. I am the boss of my bed, if I tell them to get off, they get off. My pillow and spot are off limits (although occasionally they will speak near it until they see me then move over. I expect obedience in everything else (they are pups and learning but absolutely no dominance issues have occurred and I have a very dominant female). This is just my personal experience and opinion... But I love having my pups close to me. I have an easy clean sleeping bag covering my covers for cleanliness sake, lol.

God bless (you and your new pup)
Misty
post #6 of 131 (permalink) Old 11-13-2014, 08:06 PM
Crowned Member

The day Fritz can jump up and down on his own, he is more than welcome. For the time being, he is safe on the floor...

"There is a lot to be thankful for if you take the time to look. Example.. I am sitting here thinking how nice it is that wrinkles don't hurt!". Author Unknown

Enjoy
post #7 of 131 (permalink) Old 11-13-2014, 08:06 PM
Zombie Queen Moderator

For me the question is that I don't think it is sanitary. I take a shower every single night before I get in bed and my dog does not. But to each his own.

Nancy

-NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog

- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles
post #8 of 131 (permalink) Old 11-13-2014, 08:11 PM
Crowned Member

Your parents might have a valid point ....it all depends on the particular situation.

Of the 4 dogs I have had...all were allowed to sleep in the bed....my first dog did have a different attitude about the bed...I'm guessing he thought it was his bed and sharing it with us. First dog... I plead ignorance...probably made every mistake I possibly could have.

Anyway, since then...all 3 of my other dogs have been welcome to share MY bed.

So, the notion of who ( dog included ) is sleeping in that bed and where they are on the "totem pole"...does make some sense.

$5 says...if the dog owns the bed and you try to move it around against it's will...you'll know who owns the bed.

SuperG
post #9 of 131 (permalink) Old 11-13-2014, 08:13 PM
Elite Member

My pups were taught to wait to be lifted up and down until they were 5mos old, and then were assisted down for weeks after until they had the hang of it. (basically until to heavy, lol).
post #10 of 131 (permalink) Old 11-13-2014, 08:15 PM
Crowned Member

Choice 3 is confusing....sometimes my dog does snore...does that him "aloud" ??

SuperG
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page