Male or female: Which sex do I get - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-10-2014, 09:43 PM Thread Starter

Male or female: Which sex do I get

I'm a single male in my 40s living in a large apartment for another year, and then I'll be looking for a home with a backyard. I'm torn on which sex I should get! I understand a male will lick you all over and will be more "velcroey" when you come back home, but a female will be more aloof and like a cat. I will be a first time dog owner, please help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-10-2014, 10:03 PM
Crowned Member

I dont know, it really depends on the dog. Males can be aloof, females can be clingy, or females can be aloof and males can be all over you..when you are searching for a breeder and you find one you like, talk to them. Tell them what you want and a good breeder will match you up with a pup they think will be what your are looking for.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-10-2014, 10:06 PM

My female Athena is my velcro my male is aloof. It is all about the dogs personality not statistics. My new puppy is a female and she is extremely confident and not velcro thus far but too soon to tell.

Athena- Long Coat GSD -CGC
Sinister Black- GSD
Nemesis- GSD
Titus- GSD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-10-2014, 10:18 PM
Crowned Member

Ask your breeder to pick out the most appropriate puppy based on all your criteria. not choosing a sex just opens up your options.

post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-10-2014, 11:37 PM

"Male or female: Which sex do I get"

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboy View Post
I'm a single male in my 40s living in a large apartment for another year, and then I'll be looking for a home with a backyard. I'm torn on which sex I should get! I understand a male will lick you all over and will be more "velcroey" when you come back home, but a female will be more aloof and like a cat. I will be a first time dog owner, please help.
Well, as a single male in your 40's, if I were you I would be trying to get all the sex I could. Sure, sometimes the boys will lick your face, and girls may be aloof like a cat, but hey, you only live once. The sex you get is more of a personal preference in my opinion

Ohhhh...DOGS...you're talking about dogs! Forgive me Sorry, I just couldn't help myself lol.

But in all seriousness, I don't think personality is in any way determined by gender. I have a female and she is always licking my face and is currently velcroed to me. If you don't have a preset preference for other reasons, then you should definitely find a good breeder, talk with them about what you want out of your dog and what your living situation is, and a GOOD breeder will pick a dog they thing will suit you best. If you don't have a gender preference, that just means it might be easier to find the perfect pup for you

Oh, and WELCOME!

Proud Mommy of Princess "Zelda" von Gonzohaus
Born: 25 October 2013
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-13-2014, 05:03 PM

Its all about what you want. It seems like from your description you have already decided the sex of the new puppy. Just not shared what you are looking for with us.

Oh and if you want a Velcro dog, sex does not matter. Its all in the training and way you interact with a new dog. I can walk into anybodies house with a shepherd after being introduced and have their dog Velcro to me in 10 min like I was an old friend. I teach this behavior to my interns every year.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-13-2014, 05:21 PM
Knighted Member

I don't see anything in his post that leads to an assumption that his decision has been made about what sex he has chosen.

Bear, Anna, Molly, Ossie, and The Countess Lisl von Schlaf

An Unhappy German is a Sour Kraut!
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-13-2014, 05:51 PM
Elite Member

My female is a cuddle bug, my male is the aloof one. Male prior to that was a cuddler. Female prior to that male was attached but not cuddly. Depends solely on the the dog and sex really isn't a way to stack the deck for your preference.

Suffice it to say that a GSD will make it clear they are bonded, might not be with licking and attempted lap-sitting but they will show their affection.

Never cook bacon while naked.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-14-2014, 08:34 AM
Crowned Member

I had a female GSD before, we didn't bond, she wasn't clingy, in fact she would leave with anyone and she wasn't super affectionate but she was confident, bold and nothing really phased her.

My male GSD is extremely affectionate, we are very bonded, he's very velcro with me, he won't willingly leave with anyone. He's smart, easy to train and a very easy dog to live with. He has protected me before as well.

Lauren

Sinister ~ black male GSD 3.11.09
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-15-2014, 01:14 PM
Crowned Member

My females have been pretty cuddly and Lucky is a cuddler when he's in the mood but he is my shadow. Chevy and Thunder not big time cuddlers however if I go from room room all three are w/ me.

Daisy 11/26/99-7/25/12
Miss Chevy Cruz - 1/25/2013-1/29/15
Thunder -1/25/13 -7/25/15
Lucky-GSD -Rescue -2/16/03 - 03-21-16
Charlie- GSD-Rescue - 7-4-12
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page