German Shepherds Forum banner

Has Your GSD Ever Attacked Someone Before?

• Yes, both genders have.

Votes: 0 0.0%

Has Your GSD Ever Attacked Someone?

6K views 34 replies 34 participants last post by  TankGrrl66 
#1 ·
Has your GSD, male or female, attacked someone before?

#28 ·
No. We previously owned a yellow lab and a more sweet and gentle dog it would be hard to find. Newlie likes people, but he nipped several dogs at doggie day care. No blood or anything like that but I wasn't willing to chance it so he doesn't go to doggie day care, doggie parks or anything like that anymore. I do think Newlie would react if my husband or I were in danger. Shortly after we got him, I took him out just for a little walk up and down or street. It was probably about nine o'clock and dark outside. Newlie all the sudden wheeled around and planted all four feet with an attitude that said "Make my day" and I turned, too, because I had not heard anything and couldn't imagine what he was doing. There was a jogger coming up right behind us. I pulled Newlie over to one side to give the jogger room and Newlie did lunge, but stopped when I told him "No." As I say, he generally likes people and is happy to see them, but I think the combination of some guy coming up behind us in the dark was enough to activate his protective instincts.

#30 ·
Tokara is my two year old female GSD. She has the typical GSD temperament with the aloofness to strangers that walk up to me without invitation but is awesome with kids. She's never bitten anyone however she has nipped someone on the butt. It was totally on me. We were having food delivered and I ran to do the door which likely made her anxious and on top of that I didn't do the routine I normally do. (Sit and stay four feet from the door). Anyhow, I opened the door and got the food then the guy returned with the drinks. When I walked out a second time, Tokara got out and went into a barking fit.
I called her back and told her no firmly. Since then I have had no problems with nipping or biting. However, certain things still irk her. Like if I'm outside on the porch and someone walks up to the house where I'm sitting she will give a low growl but she often stops when I tell her to.
She is a very well behaved dog. Doesn't bark unless she needs to, great off leash and recalls very nicely. She has excellent obedience skills. I have no doubt she would be able to get into Schutzhund.
At least I know that if I were ever to get into a bad situation I would have my trusty companion to help me get out of it :p
In short, she has nipped once but never attacked anyone.

#32 ·
Nope, 6 GSD's and 2 foster GSD's in nearly 30 years and not had an attack.

Mayhem has growled at a few kids and Havoc has barked at a few strangers that have approached me and given me the willies. I don't consider those 'attacks'.

#34 ·
Yes and no.
My cousin was being rough with me(we fight sometimes xD) and when Dakota saw she began barking and growling. Dakota jumped on her, bit her sleeve and began shaking. When I said 'drop it,' she let go. Other than that, she never bit someone and made them bleed. Closest she got to biting was biting my cousins sleeve. My cousin doesn't bother me anymore xD

#35 ·
One bite

I have had one GSD that has bitten someone before, two sep incidents. No "attack".

Details: I had only owned this dog for three weeks, also my first GSD. The day after I adopted him (he was three years old, had been neutered for one month prior, was chained to a trailer those first three years) I was out walking him with my other small dog...three off leash dogs almost killed my small dog. My GSD bit the owner of the other dog when she tried to intervene, as he was going after the largest of the three dogs. He stopped the fight. The bite did not break skin, but left bruising. Her dog that instigated and did the most damage almost killed my small dog.

Fast forward ~3 weeks, the first time small dog was in the clear to go out for a walk after surgery (again, she almost died). A man walked briskly past me and hit my shoulder with his shoulder. My GSD turned and grabbed his arm. One puncture maybe 1/4 inch deep. Still, another bite.

I completely re-evaluated how I handled my dogs and how I interacted with them. I did counter conditioning with the GSD, showing him that he didn't have to be on guard duty all the **** time. I was ready at that point to throw in the towel if this didn't work. I put a lot of effort in, but since then he has been the best dog ever.

No more aggression since then.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.