Does Your Dog 'Mingle' With Guests You Have Over? - German Shepherd Dog Forums
View Poll Results: Do Your Dog Mingle Around Your Guests?
Yes 48 48.00%
No 4 4.00%
It depends 32 32.00%
Yes, but not the whole time 20 20.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 100. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 54 (permalink) Old 11-26-2013, 02:29 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Does Your Dog 'Mingle' With Guests You Have Over?

I posted this somewhere else, and the answers were pretty much the same. Since the holidays are pretty much here, does your dog stay out amongst your guests, or do you have them in another part of the house? This isn't about your dog living there and having the right to be out. I was just wondering what you prefer to do with them or does it just depend?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 54 (permalink) Old 11-26-2013, 02:37 PM
Crowned Member

I'm very careful when I have guests over and the dogs are out. Hondo doesn't want to be a social butterfly. He'll greet and then ignore.

My main concern is for some reason folks think the best thing to do is feed the dog. I don't want any of my dogs eating tempting treats from everyone who wants the dog to like him. And it doesn't matter how often I say, "Please don't feed the dog(s)" someone is going to feed them anyway.

If I have a lot of folks over, all the dogs get crated. If it's just a handfull and I can keep an eye on things, I'll have them out. Honestly, most of the time we are all outside. If people are over and we are inside due to adverse weather conditions, I put the dogs up.

Hondo Von Dopplet L Bauernhof "Hondo"- GSD
Lilie's Tug McGraw "Tug" - Golden Retriever
Maggie - Mini Dachshund (Rescue)
Lonestar Pivo - Texas Blue Lacy
Ashe - Barn Cat
Katie / APHA
post #3 of 54 (permalink) Old 11-26-2013, 02:38 PM
Master Member

It depends on who is over. Long ago I gave up on the "it's their house too" concept that my guests had to like it.

Once in my home the dogs are very social and like to interact with the guests. Since our guests are usually regulars I know who I want them to be around, and who is likely to either act like an idiot or a tease.

It's like when walking them. It's my job to protect them and not put them in bad situations.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 54 (permalink) Old 11-26-2013, 02:47 PM
Elite Member

My house is my dog(s) home. This is their safe place and by my ethos as much theirs as it is mine. I know they don't pay taxes and upkeep and legally they have no rights to the place in any court or law. However, they do guard and watch the house as best they can. Following that line of reasoning my dogs belong here and have run of the place. They are well mannered(okay that's a fib, they are becoming mannered). They say hello and figure out who is most likely to give rubs(no treats, that's my bag). The pup(Allie) is an attention *****, she wil butterfly all the live long day. Cable will greet, get a rub or two and then retire to his bed and watch the proceedings. If food is involved both will helicopter a bit, till I tell them to knock it off.

Never cook bacon while naked.
post #5 of 54 (permalink) Old 11-26-2013, 03:02 PM
Knighted Member

Lisl is not into the 'meet & greet' scene. More like meat & eat.

She will bark at you until I tell her to stop and you'll be lucky if you can get up to use the bathroom.

She sits at my side or on the couch and will watch every move you make until you leave.

I would have to crate her if you wanted to move around the house.

Bear, Anna, Molly, Ossie, and The Countess Lisl von Schlaf

An Unhappy German is a Sour Kraut!
post #6 of 54 (permalink) Old 11-26-2013, 03:27 PM
Crowned Member

Depends on the size of the gathering. If its everybody who are regulars. They greet get affection and whatever treats I have handy,then they go off to do what they do.They are definitely my dogs in that a couple times my SIL took each for a stroll around the property and they were like" where's the Mom?" . They (chevy does not understand why they cant just sit on the floor as she believes our family room couch is hers. More then 10 people they go out.

Daisy 11/26/99-7/25/12
Miss Chevy Cruz - 1/25/2013-1/29/15
Thunder -1/25/13 -7/25/15
Lucky-GSD -Rescue -2/16/03 - 03-21-16
Charlie- GSD-Rescue - 7-4-12
post #7 of 54 (permalink) Old 11-26-2013, 03:47 PM

We let him around, he knows all friends, only rule is not to feed him anything.
post #8 of 54 (permalink) Old 11-26-2013, 03:49 PM

My small dogs stay inside and my shepherd is put outside when they arrive and then let in unless they have small children. She is great with children but a lot of kids are scared and I don't want her to accidentally jump on anyone.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #9 of 54 (permalink) Old 11-26-2013, 04:03 PM
Knighted Member

Hunter is a social butterfly with people we accept into our home. A friend of ours who he loves raised his voice in anger on the phone with his ex last week, and was facing me, and Hunter stood up from where he was sleeping and stood in front of me and postured. Hunter is a total mush and snuggle bug, as long as you don't mess with me. Haha.

SG S-Hunter vom Geistwasser CA CGN TT ATD (Service Dog, Retired Airport Wildlife Control K9)
Zenna vom Geistwasser NTD

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 54 (permalink) Old 11-26-2013, 04:13 PM

Char baby in her prime days was a velcro to me. She would sniff and investigate the person(s) but for the most part she was right back at my side.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page