What is the number of dogs on this forum with issues of some kind - German Shepherd Dog Forums
View Poll Results: Where does your dog fit in on this poll?
My dog has no health or temperment issues 41 47.13%
My dog has health problems (allergies, HD etc.) 21 24.14%
My dog has temperment issues (reactive, aggressive, nervous etc.) 33 37.93%
I am not sure if my dog has any issues 7 8.05%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 87. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-23-2013, 01:21 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

What is the number of dogs on this forum with issues of some kind

I have been here for quite awhile now and as time goes on it seems as though most here have dogs with issues. I am looking to see just how many people here have a GSD with no health and/or temperament issues.

Last edited by Saphire; 10-23-2013 at 01:24 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-23-2013, 01:25 PM
Banned

Actually, most don't have issues. What you have to realize is that you're just going to see more questions/threads about dogs with issues than you are about dogs without issues. Like...there's just no reason for me to post questions about my dog since I don't have any issues with him to ask a question about.

So, in summary, my dog is perfectly healthy with no temperament issues. Hips/elbows tested and good, also GSDCA temperament tested, and working on obedience titles.
post #3 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-23-2013, 01:26 PM
Crowned Member

Echo has both health and temperament issues (allergies and weak nerves).

I think that online forums may always be skewed towards more people having dogs with issues, as people come on specifically seeking advice, rather than those with no issues coming on just to share stories, etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-23-2013, 01:36 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

I am hoping that there are lots here with perfectly healthy GSD's and that they come here to read and do not post as often. I myself have had two GSD's, Floyd RIP had multiple problems and now Gus who has no issues of any kind. They couldn't be more opposite.
As a family we were always stressed somewhat with Floyd mostly worry. He didn't eat well, had EPI, allergies, Dog Aggressive, weak nerves so he did not recover from negative experiences, I could go on and on. He was a big responsibility from waking up to going to bed each night.
Gus however has been so very easy. LOVES his food, no allergies, no health issues to date, no temperament issues, doesn't react to negative situations at all. Stress free and what a difference and impact that has on our family.

I am curious to see what the results show.
post #5 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-23-2013, 01:56 PM
Crowned Member

No health issues, in a few months he'll be going for his official OFA's, otherwise healthy as a horse and never had a sick day in his life.

Temperament: rock solid in all aspects (crowds, fireworks, gun, elderly, children, never shied at anything so far). Biddable even when in drive and will cap when needed and loves to learn. He does have a lower threshold when it comes to dogs however, he will bark at most if they're within a 5' radius but responds easily to redirection and a correction if needed and will settle. Knowing the breed standard now I don't think he's completely out of the ordinary in that way but my goal is 100% neutral all the time. It's a work in progress

Shanna

My Pack:

Jasmine - Female Miniature Poodle - born Aug 15, 2010
Loker Delgado Von Stalworth - Male GSD - born Jan 26, 2012
Koda & Zazu - 7 year old male cats
Alex - Male Cocker Spaniel (rescue) - RIP Cuddlebug 2007-2010
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-23-2013, 02:00 PM
Crowned Member

I put not sure, so far so good with Tuke 3+Yo and Ranger 1+Yo, but Zoey does have allergies.
post #7 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-23-2013, 02:03 PM
Crowned Member

Every once in a while we have icky poop, I'm guessing due to digesting something that shouldn't be digested of at least that is my conclusion. Robyn gets eye boogers every now and then, which I would think is environmental allergies. I don't consider either health issues and both dogs have great temperaments and solid nerves.

Misty- Samoyed Mix, Tannor- Golden Retriever CGC
Robyn- GSD CGC, TC, Midnite-GSD CGC,TC, Brennan-Golden Retriever CGC, Batman-Husky/Greyhound , Apollo-GSD
post #8 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-23-2013, 02:22 PM
Crowned Member

Lucky- he has really weak hocks ,and not the best hips but he is almost 12 we think and he's healthy and pretty mobile . He has some fear issues however he is pretty manageable. Daisy lousy nerves but lived to be just shy of her 13th birthhday. She was happiest with her family in her yard and her couch wth an occasional romp in the local park's pond. Neither have or had allergies. Chevy, healthy little girl, great w/ humans but has some allergies . Appears to have nerves of steel however is dog aggressive with unknown dogs. She bite the dog statue at the vets. Thunder great to the point of almost being too friendly with humans. A saint with toddlers. I have never had a dog with serious health issues or rather chronic ones so I cant really say what that would be like . I have to say though Thunder and Chevy's reaction to humans is a blessing. Lucky is much calmer w/ them around in his reaction to folks coming in and out of our house. I didnt vote yet but will say temperment issues with all three. Dog Reactivirty w/ all three and minor health with all three.

Daisy 11/26/99-7/25/12
Miss Chevy Cruz - 1/25/2013-1/29/15
Thunder -1/25/13 -7/25/15
Lucky-GSD -Rescue -2/16/03 - 03-21-16
Charlie- GSD-Rescue - 7-4-12
post #9 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-23-2013, 07:12 PM

I'm probably going to vote the first one, however, a question

When you say no health issues, are you referring to a health issue that is on going? Such as allergies, IBD, Sibo, bad hips, that type of thing..

Reason I ask,,my dogs have gotten 'sick' at times, such as Masi had some mystery illness in the spring and almost died, but I wouldn't say it is something that is ongoing.She's always been otherwise "healthy"..I'm assuming you mean an "ongoing" health issue..(maybe I answered my own question LOL)..

Temperament, I'd say Masi has pretty normal temperament for a gsd..She's no social butterfly that's for sure, but I think, in my opinion her temperament is what a gsd should be.. OK, I'm voting number one)

Diane
Ozzie vom Kleinen Hain
Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
Tranquillo's Kizzy
Jakoda's Kholee
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
"Angel" Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
post #10 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-23-2013, 07:15 PM
Crowned Member

Niko, although very healthy, does have some temperament issues. He is very sharp, a bit underconfident, and can be reactive. He is also dog fear aggressive, mostly due to bad puppyhood experiences.

Leah
Niko: American Showline GSD 5 years old
Rosa: American Muppet Dog (GSD/Border Collie mix) 5 years old
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page