Which breed for first time dog owner? - German Shepherd Dog Forums
View Poll Results: Which dog breed for first time dog owner?
Border Collie 2 5.26%
Golden Retriever 19 50.00%
German Shepherd 4 10.53%
Labrador Retriever 10 26.32%
Australian Shepherd 1 2.63%
Flat Coated Retriever 2 5.26%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 151 (permalink) Old 08-24-2013, 04:07 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Which breed for first time dog owner?

Trying to find the best dog breed for, and I have narrowed it down. Hoping to hear your opinions! Thanks! You can also suggest one

Last edited by GSDLover2000; 08-24-2013 at 04:09 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 151 (permalink) Old 08-24-2013, 04:17 PM

Def not Border Collie Unless you have a LOT of time on your hands and even more energy. Amazing dogs I absolutely love them but they need an owner who will spend all their spare time with them teaching them things and exercising them. Speaking of exercise I better go outside and tire my pup out.
post #3 of 151 (permalink) Old 08-24-2013, 04:22 PM
Crowned Member

I would vote a golden retriever or a well-bred field lab. I still personally like curly coated retrievers as well (: But I understand the look isn't for everyone LOL!
The flat coated retrievers I have met have been amazing, very eager to learn and fun to work with. However, another member stated they can be "flat heads" so this may not be the best choice.
Border collies and aussies need constant stimulation, so I think they require a certain type of person to be a first time owner.

My first dog of my own was a German shepherd, got him at 3 yrs and his name was Cheeko. I was homeschooled, and spent pretty much EVERY last bit of time working with him. Even now I still think I should have started with an easier breed. Or at least a lower drive, more obedient shepherd

All of this is in general, lol.

Kymmey
Mom To~ Dakoda (b/t GSD), Acheron (black GSD)

Last edited by GsdLoverr729; 08-24-2013 at 04:24 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 151 (permalink) Old 08-24-2013, 04:22 PM
Crowned Member

They're all active and intelligent breeds. It really depends what you want out of a potential dog.
post #5 of 151 (permalink) Old 08-24-2013, 04:23 PM

Noah, I'm not voting , you have another thread going with tons of recommendations and the reasons why, your to all over the place. No one can suggest a breed for you, only YOU can figure out what will work for your family situation. Not us.

You have to have your parents on board and since they are the adults in the situation you should be asking THEM what they will agree to or not.

Diane
Ozzie vom Kleinen Hain
Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
Tranquillo's Kizzy
Jakoda's Kholee
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
"Angel" Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
post #6 of 151 (permalink) Old 08-24-2013, 04:24 PM

A lab. You said your mom liked them so why not? I love them, but they can't get REALLY HYPER!!! Mine would play fetch for hours!
If you like long coats, get a flat coated retriever. They look like labs with long hair!!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Eden
Jaxx~ 11/13/12
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog"~ Unknown
post #7 of 151 (permalink) Old 08-24-2013, 04:24 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSxOwner View Post
Def not Border Collie Unless you have a LOT of time on your hands and even more energy. Amazing dogs I absolutely love them but they need an owner who will spend all their spare time with them teaching them things and exercising them. Speaking of exercise I better go outside and tire my pup out.
Other than school, I can dedicate mornings and evening all to the puppy. I live near my school so I get off at three and home by 3:10-3:20. I would wake up early to walk the dog, I think I can handle a border collie. I really do.
post #8 of 151 (permalink) Old 08-24-2013, 04:25 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakodaCD OA View Post
Noah, I'm not voting , you have another thread going with tons of recommendations and the reasons why, your to all over the place. No one can suggest a breed for you, only YOU can figure out what will work for your family situation. Not us.

You have to have your parents on board and since they are the adults in the situation you should be asking THEM what they will agree to or not.
I got these breeds from the other thread. I want to narrow it down with experienced pet owners then go to my parents with the top 3 or 4.
post #9 of 151 (permalink) Old 08-24-2013, 04:26 PM
Crowned Member

Noah, remember with a border collie that they need CONSTANT stimulation. Same goes for aussies. This means that your mom would have to be working with the dog while you are at school.
If she has been iffy about it thus far, it is best to go with the breed SHE likes (or the closest ones to it). And definitely better to go for one who won't need her to be working with him/her during your school day.

Kymmey
Mom To~ Dakoda (b/t GSD), Acheron (black GSD)
post #10 of 151 (permalink) Old 08-24-2013, 04:30 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxx's mom View Post
A lab. You said your mom liked them so why not? I love them, but they can't get REALLY HYPER!!! Mine would play fetch for hours!
If you like long coats, get a flat coated retriever. They look like labs with long hair!!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
My mom is more OK then, she likes the look and size. I saw one, Vanna, at a shelter near my home. She was SOOOO hyper. She was barking, and whining, and just wanted to play so badly. Eventually she calmed down, and my dad and I had tog o so we couldn't take her out, but while we were leaving we saw a family take her out to go to a play pen, and the volunteer was on her heels digging into the concrete to keep her from running off with the leash. And even with the high green fence of the playpen I saw her head jumping up and down! They are SOO energetic!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page