Spay/Neuter, Leave Untouched, Breed then Spay/Neuter - German Shepherd Dog Forums
View Poll Results: What Would You Do?
Spay/Neuter 17 56.67%
Leave Untouched 11 36.67%
Breed Then Spay/Neuter 2 6.67%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-03-2013, 06:23 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Spay/Neuter, Leave Untouched, Breed then Spay/Neuter

Hey Guys! There is a possibility that I get a dog, and I just want to hear your opinions on neutering/spaying. If I were to get one it would be female, and I would want to breed her. I wouldn't do it myself, or deliver them myself, and I would not do it for money. I just find it interesting, and would want the dog to experience it then rather never let her by spaying. Let me hear your thoughts!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-03-2013, 06:27 PM

I personally think it's silly to breed a dog simply to let her experience pregnancy and puppies. If the only other reason to breed the dog would be because you find it interesting, wouldnt it be cheaper for you (and a heck of a lot easier) to find a breeder who will let you come and watch/help? I know when I was younger and interested in dog pregnancy and birthing that one of my mom's friend's let me stay over the night her dog went into labor.

I'm probably choosing not to get my male neutered, but its for the health aspect vs letting him experience what making babies is like..

Sara

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Judah
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-03-2013, 06:31 PM
Knighted Member

Your female dog would never miss not being a mother, or experiencing the birthing process. Dogs don't think like that.

If you want to "experience the miracle of life" through whelping a litter of puppies and raising them, foster a pregnant dog for a shelter or rescue. You'll be able to get your experience, but without being the person responsible for adding to the over population problem.
Sheilah
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-03-2013, 06:32 PM Thread Starter
Banned

That isn't quite what I meant. I don't see the benefit in spaying/neutering.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-03-2013, 06:37 PM
Crowned Member

My female is 3 yrs and currently intact. I do not plan to breed, but I wanted to allow her to fully develop before I spayed her. Now that she has completely matured, I am going to run a few blood tests to ensure her safety (her sister had a severe reaction and nearly died when put under for her spay) and then if they come out normal she will be spayed.
My male is just a baby right now, but I do not plan to neuter. I have owned unaltered males in the past and am fully capable of handling them, while preventing unwanted litters (just as I manage my female to prevent this outcome). If something medical pops up that urges me to neuter then I will do so. But even then, he wouldn't be neutered until 2-3 yrs of age.

Kymmey
Mom To~ Dakoda (b/t GSD), Acheron (black GSD)
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-03-2013, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSDLover2000 View Post
That isn't quite what I meant. I don't see the benefit in spaying/neutering.
I literally just posted a thread on the pros/cons of it and some people linked to some good articles. Over here

Theres a difference in choosing not to spay/neuter because of health reasons/not seeing the benefit of it, and the way you worded it as wanting to breed your hypothetical female dog so she could experience having a litter.

Sara

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Judah
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-03-2013, 07:53 PM

We plan on keeping our GSD intact. We neutered our Rotties at 6 months of age and ended up losing one to bone cancer. Had I known the risks (especially with them being a high risk breed for bone cancer) I would have kept them intact too.

If I had a female, I would also wait until she was fully matured before spaying her, if at all. I haven't done much research on females because I only have males.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Tami

Strider - GSD 12/17/12
D'Argo - Rottweiler 5/17/01
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-03-2013, 08:03 PM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxyMom View Post
We plan on keeping our GSD intact. We neutered our Rotties at 6 months of age and ended up losing one to bone cancer. Had I known the risks (especially with them being a high risk breed for bone cancer) I would have kept them intact too.

If I had a female, I would also wait until she was fully matured before spaying her, if at all. I haven't done much research on females because I only have males.

I have seen intact rotties with bone cancer, probably the same percentage as spayed/neutered ones, just throwing that out there too
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-03-2013, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ugavet2012 View Post
I have seen intact rotties with bone cancer, probably the same percentage as spayed/neutered ones, just throwing that out there too
Haha! I know, but according to some studies, Rottweilers were 3.8 times more likely to develop osteosarcoma if they were neutered before the age of 1. Not significant a number, but still.

Tami

Strider - GSD 12/17/12
D'Argo - Rottweiler 5/17/01
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-03-2013, 08:27 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSDLover2000 View Post
Hey Guys! There is a possibility that I get a dog, and I just want to hear your opinions on neutering/spaying. If I were to get one it would be female, and I would want to breed her. I wouldn't do it myself, or deliver them myself, and I would not do it for money. I just find it interesting, and would want the dog to experience it then rather never let her by spaying. Let me hear your thoughts!
Are you sure you want to hear my thoughts? How about you be a tester for my new breeding spiel:

I thought I wanted to be a breeder when I was young. I dreamed of breeding top-quality dogs, showing, titling, winning, the whole thing. I used to go to AKC shows when I was a child and I thought it was the coolest thing EVER, and if only I could be a part of it! If my parents had been on board with letting me get a dog and show in Jr. Showmanship, it would have been a dream come true. But sadly, the dream died when I started working professionally with animals and saw the fallout of bad breeding, overbreeding, and puppy mills. At first I thought I would just be one of those GOOD breeders. Even into my late twenties I thought that. But the more I worked with other people's animals, the more I became acutely aware of the ethical issues surrounding breeding, and eventually I realized I don't have the temperament for it.

If you aren't going to breed her yourself and you aren't going to deliver pups, who is?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page