Do You Expect Your Dog To Accept Certain Behaviors From Kids? - German Shepherd Dog Forums
View Poll Results: Do You Expect Your Dogs To Allow Kids To Do Anything To Them?
Yes 10 27.03%
No 27 72.97%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-18-2013, 12:47 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Do You Expect Your Dog To Accept Certain Behaviors From Kids?

I posted this on another forum, but wanted some opinions up here.There was a behaviorist on my local news today who was saying that a dog is not sound if they don't let a child hug them, pull on their tail or climb/jump all over them. I don't agree with this and think that it can lead to kids thinking that they can do this with every dog.

So do you expect your dogs to allow kids to do everything to them?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-18-2013, 12:50 PM

No way, any dog can have a bad reaction no matter how stable they are. The kids that are around my dog are told very clearly what they can do (pet, give treat, throw toy) and if they do anything other than that, the kid is not permitted to play with Diesel (which hurts his feelings more than theirs!)
post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-18-2013, 01:00 PM

No. I would expect my dog to not react other than walking away if a child does these things ONCE but I do not expect them to put up with it on a regular basis. And the child would be addressed and managed by me to avoid any issues.

All beings - dog, cat, human, etc - deserves respect of their personal space. Would you be mad at a person for being upset about being picked on and their space invaded by another person?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-18-2013, 01:01 PM
Crowned Member

I do not expect my dog to be OK with being physically hurt (pulling tails, poking eyes, jumping on the dogs back) or teased by a child or anyone. At the end of the day regardless of how well behaved he is around children he's still an animal and to a degree unpredictable. We do not have small children in the house but have guests that come over with their kids, the neighbors kids ask to come play ball with him in our yard sometimes and he's great, but I supervise, always. I have before said, no don't pull on him like that, etc. I give direction & stop behavior that I don't like to see. I hate to see some kids around animals.

My husbands buddy was over with his son who has a toddler. Rusty was laying on the floor and the little boy tripped and fell right on Rusty. Rusty yelped, jumped up and started circling the little boy licking him. I was pleased with his response. Sometimes if we have guests over with a lot of little ones running around I crate Rusty.
post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-18-2013, 01:08 PM
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsdraven View Post
No. I would expect my dog to not react other than walking away if a child does these things ONCE but I do not expect them to put up with it on a regular basis. And the child would be addressed and managed by me to avoid any issues.

All beings - dog, cat, human, etc - deserves respect of their personal space. Would you be mad at a person for being upset about being picked on and their space invaded by another person?
This.

Jazz, Shiloh Shepherd, 5 yrs old, CGC HIC
Bunny, GSD X, 7.5 years old
post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-18-2013, 01:10 PM
Crowned Member

No. I expect your child to have some manners.

post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-18-2013, 01:51 PM
Elite Member

I expect my dogs to be able to walk politely past children at a five-foot distance, and as that is as close as I ever intend to get to them, that's all I need from the mutt monsters.

ARCHMX TDCH Pongu the Insane, CD-C, RE, RL1X6, RL2X5, RL3X2 (GSD mix, b. Apr 2010)
Crookytail the Tigerwuff, RL1, ITD (Akita mix, b. Jan 2011)
post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-18-2013, 02:50 PM
Elite Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsdraven View Post

this

Max Von barkstoomuch, T.D.Inc, EPI Survivor, Bloat Survivor
Heidi Von affraidofpeople
Lilah Von cantsitstill

Tester/Observer T.D.INC
post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-18-2013, 03:02 PM
Elite Member

Nope, but I expect 'em to be supremely tolerant of children, especially the very young. Additionally, they must let me intervene with the children (or parents), & not take it on themselves to 'correct' a child.

One of the most important traits to me is a dog's ability to discern child from adult & act appropriately. Not all dogs have this but it's something I treasure & seek out. It should be, IMO, common to the GSD breed, much like genetic obedience. In many ways it lies at the very heart of what a GSD is.
post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-18-2013, 03:14 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubyTuesday View Post
Nope, but I expect 'em to be supremely tolerant of children, especially the very young. Additionally, they must let me intervene with the children (or parents), & not take it on themselves to 'correct' a child.

One of the most important traits to me is a dog's ability to discern child from adult & act appropriately. Not all dogs have this but it's something I treasure & seek out. It should be, IMO, common to the GSD breed, much like genetic obedience. In many ways it lies at the very heart of what a GSD is.
this
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page