Do you have a Beware of Dog sign posted? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 111 (permalink) Old 06-25-2013, 11:08 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Do you have a Beware of Dog sign posted?

Why?

Why not?

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Amy and the dogs,

Jack - male GSD b. 8/9/10
Lillian - female Weimaraner b. ~2005
RIP Mattie - female GSD 10/18/02 - 7/24/2013
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 111 (permalink) Old 06-25-2013, 11:49 PM

No. Didn't really need it. Also there are people that don't like big dogs especially German Shepherds. We have some yahoo's in my development (lucky I am one house in from the end). I didn't want them saying I had a GSD people needed to watch out for. Just having the sign might set them off. All my neighbors knew Kaos was friendly. But his bark could wake the dead. So anyone thinking of breaking in tress-passing etc would think twice. I also used to walk him all the time. Word spreads quick about someone who has a big GSD. So anyone who would want to vandalize, break in etc not from around my development wouldn't take a chance....

I'll do the same with my 6 month old puppy Havoc. looks like he will be friendly also. But even though he still has the puppy bark. His barks are real loud when he hears something......

I did think about putting a sign on a basement window on either side of my house. That way it wouldn't be visible from in front of the house.....

Kaos 8/6/2003-5/18/2013 Things not what they used to be. Missing one inside of me. Deathly lost this Cant be real. Cannot stand this H*ll I feel. Emptiness is filling me. To the point of agony...
post #3 of 111 (permalink) Old 06-25-2013, 11:50 PM
Crowned Member

I have a BAD DOG sign and usually have a DOGS IN YARD sign but it broke and I have to order a new one.

Gayle, Faith, Ledgie, Scooby
At the Bridge: Andy, Abbey, Tasha, Tex, Echo, Yukon, JR, Too, Niki, Bo, Ringer, Kelly, Honey, Mac, Slider & Bruiser
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 111 (permalink) Old 06-25-2013, 11:59 PM

Yes I do. I posted them because I have three dogs, and though they are always friendly to a person who comes in when I am there inviting that person in, I can't guarantee that they would not attack a person who came in while I was NOT there. I have a GSD and a Belgian/GSD mix, and their teeth are huge. Their barks are fearsome. They love us dearly. They would attack if they thought someone was a threat . . .I have no doubt of that. So: Fair warning to anyone thinking of breaking and entering. And though our neighbors have had break-ins, we never have.

I should probably put a sticker up about owning guns, too. It isn't a threat, it's a warning . . .I honestly don't want anyone to get hurt. Go rob my car. It's sitting there in the driveway and I wouldn't shoot a person robbing it. But if someone comes in my house where my family is? Big dogs and guns will be on the agenda.
post #5 of 111 (permalink) Old 06-26-2013, 12:12 AM
Elite Member

We have one, but we had to replace our gate and didn't put it back up. I think the barking may be clue enough I may have dogs.....
post #6 of 111 (permalink) Old 06-26-2013, 12:25 AM
Master Member

I have two signs up...they are there for my protection not trespassers.

This sign didn't stop some guy coming to my door...despite the fact he was at the wrong house.

Whoever said you can't buy love musta never owned a dog !
post #7 of 111 (permalink) Old 06-26-2013, 12:29 AM
Crowned Member

I don't.

I suppose I am not very accomodating to our deaf population. But before you opened my gate on either side of the yard you would be able to see and hear them. And even if you got inside the gate, the dogs wouldn't be able to eat you until you opened their kennels or the house up. Then you could be eaten.

But I do have a huge paw-print on my door that says, "You may get in, but you won't get out." Or something like that.

Heidi Ho, Odie
Joy-Joy, Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Ramona the Pest, Kojak -- who loves you baby?
Tiny Tinnie, Susie's Uzzi, Kaiah -- The Baby Monster.
post #8 of 111 (permalink) Old 06-26-2013, 12:31 AM
Elite Member

I don't, because I don't have anywhere to put one. We live in a condo.

ARCHMX TDCH Pongu the Insane, CD-C, RE, RL1X6, RL2X5, RL3X2 (GSD mix, b. Apr 2010)
Crookytail the Tigerwuff, RL1, ITD (Akita mix, b. Jan 2011)
post #9 of 111 (permalink) Old 06-26-2013, 12:33 AM
Elite Member

No.

I live and lived in places that, if you post a Beware of Dog sign, it's admitting to knowing the dog is aggressive and if something happens the penalties are harsher. I also see no point in doing it, IMHO. If someone is going to try and come into my house, no sign is going to stop them.

RIP Sebastian, Baby, Cheyenne, Baxter. Gone but never forgotten.

Finnian The Irish Lad WGSD: SAR
Abeni the Little Warrior: Pomeranian rescue.

"Res nos operor ut alius algo"
"Go mairidís beo"
post #10 of 111 (permalink) Old 06-26-2013, 12:35 AM
Master Member

I used to have a "Beware of Dog" sign on my gate, but I took it off. I do still have several signs up, though, including a "No Trespassing" sign, a "Dogs On Premises" sign, one that says "I make it to the fence in 2.8 seconds. Can you?" for my Rattie, and "Warning Area patrolled by Mutt security" for my mutt. I do have a small "Beware of Dog" sign on my front door, but I'm going to change that one out eventually to another "Dogs on Premises" sign.

I also have grills on my bedroom windows to keep my Rattie from going through them to get to the mail carrier. He's broken the window twice and knocked out the screen a few times over the years. I finally got smart, and put the grills up a couple of years ago.

Last edited by LeoRose; 06-26-2013 at 12:39 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page