What Flea / Tick Meds do you use? - German Shepherd Dog Forums
View Poll Results: Which Flea / Tick preventative do you use?
Comfortis 5 5.62%
K9 Advantix 23 25.84%
Frontline 29 32.58%
Advantage 5 5.62%
Revolution 3 3.37%
Other 35 39.33%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 89. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 50 (permalink) Old 04-15-2013, 05:06 PM Thread Starter

What Flea / Tick Meds do you use?

As I get ready to add another member to my little fur family, I am wondering what flea meds everyone uses and what ones have the best results. I have searched the forum here and its a bit of everywhere each on its own thread for the specific brand. Please take a second to answer. If you choose other comment with what.

I currently use K9 Advantix II with good results but considering changing to comfortis.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 50 (permalink) Old 04-15-2013, 05:16 PM
Elite Member

We were told by our vet when we moved to switch to Revolution because of the tick situation here. I can't really say if it's better than Frontline because we just didn't have the ticks in Pgh like we do here nor was I out in the woods as much as I am here, but he does come home with considerably less ticks than his other SAR buddies still alive/attached.

RIP Sebastian, Baby, Cheyenne, Baxter. Gone but never forgotten.

Finnian The Irish Lad WGSD: SAR
Abeni the Little Warrior: Pomeranian rescue.

"Res nos operor ut alius algo"
"Go mairidís beo"
post #3 of 50 (permalink) Old 04-15-2013, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel and Lace View Post
As I get ready to add another member to my little fur family, I am wondering what flea meds everyone uses and what ones have the best results. I have searched the forum here and its a bit of everywhere each on its own thread for the specific brand. Please take a second to answer. If you choose other comment with what.

I currently use K9 Advantix II with good results but considering changing to comfortis.
If you add your location/general area it could help people give you appropriate suggestions, especially for what takes care of your region's ticks.

Nina + Beckett (4/6/11)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 50 (permalink) Old 04-15-2013, 05:31 PM Thread Starter

The joyus question of where we live... My friends tell me we move more than people in the witness protection program haha! Right now and for the next 1.5 months Fort Meade Maryland. Then we are going back home to our little farmette in the woods of Eastern Ohio.
post #5 of 50 (permalink) Old 04-15-2013, 06:42 PM
Elite Member

I use Neem oil for ticks and fleas cos it works and is none toxic and is cheap as chips. I can put on any time and not worry about the dogs licking it or getting a reaction to it as it is totally safe to consume.
post #6 of 50 (permalink) Old 04-15-2013, 09:05 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadLab View Post
I use Neem oil for ticks and fleas cos it works and is none toxic and is cheap as chips. I can put on any time and not worry about the dogs licking it or getting a reaction to it as it is totally safe to consume.
I am all for holistic and natural ways to do things. Tell me more, are you using it like a topical? As a spray? I want to know more! I am super surprised my very close native american friend who makes tinctures for me for other issues such as Cushings has not told me about this! I am very excited please please tell me more.
post #7 of 50 (permalink) Old 04-16-2013, 09:02 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaolin View Post
We were told by our vet when we moved to switch to Revolution because of the tick situation here. I can't really say if it's better than Frontline because we just didn't have the ticks in Pgh like we do here nor was I out in the woods as much as I am here, but he does come home with considerably less ticks than his other SAR buddies still alive/attached.
Another Pittsburgh Native located here in this Raven filled State!

I will try Revolution since I am here in the old Line state for now, until I move back outside of Pgh in Ohio
post #8 of 50 (permalink) Old 04-16-2013, 08:11 PM

I switched from frontline to comfortis when it stopped working and I got fleas in my house. Now I use trifexis so I get the heartworm protection at the same time. I don't use a tick preventative. I have honestly never found a tick on either of my dogs.
post #9 of 50 (permalink) Old 04-16-2013, 08:33 PM
Master Member

Are there any recommendations for Washington? Trifexis is pretty pricey :/ and I remember a thread on hear mentioning Sprintime's Bug Off for dogs as a natural preventative.
post #10 of 50 (permalink) Old 04-17-2013, 09:30 AM
Knighted Member

I use Frontline, which my vet recommends. When we had a bad flea problem in our home, I tried several other solutions and nothing really worked, not sure how we finally got rid of them, except perhaps the seasons changed and they just died out or something. Seems like Frontline works as well as anything else and when it doesn't, nothing else does either.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page