Do You Think Any Dog Can Do Well In Apartments? - German Shepherd Dog Forums
View Poll Results: Do You Think Any Dog Can Do Well In An Apartment?
Yes 23 57.50%
No 5 12.50%
It Depends More On The Dog 13 32.50%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-26-2013, 10:22 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Do You Think Any Dog Can Do Well In Apartments?

If the owners give the dog the right outlets for the particular dog, do you think any dog(regardless of breed) can do well in an apartment/condo? I think that they can, but it really depends on how committed the owners are. Our local shelter has decided to rule out adopting to families who live in an apartment/condo at all because of the increase in landlord issues, even if the adopters have a good track record of having a dog in their unit. When I look at applications for my dogs, I am open to wherever they live, as long as they can have pets.

Last edited by Gharrissc; 03-26-2013 at 10:25 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-26-2013, 10:29 PM
Knighted Member

Yes, I raised my first GSD in a first floor walk up in Chicago and another dog before her. It was a large apartment and we were a block away from a large park and three blocks from the lakefront.
Even though we were in an apartment we also had a nice backyard for the city. I think if you give plenty of exercise and mental stimulation it shouldn't matter whether you live in a house or an apartment.

Bear GSD 10/16/11
Elsa GSD 12/23/03 - 11/10/11
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-26-2013, 11:46 PM
Crowned Member

Yes, any breed without a doubt. I have 3 and they do well. All of mine have been raised in an apartment without issue. They get mental and physical exercise and socialization. In the summer I get the small pool and out and all of us sit outside for hours playing in the pool and just relaxing. They take turns going with me places all the time. Just this past week we did a Easter Egg Hunt and they all loved it....there is always stuff to do, you just have to take advantage of it.

Misty- Samoyed Mix, Tannor- Golden Retriever CGC
Robyn- GSD CGC, TC, Midnite-GSD CGC,TC, Brennan-Golden Retriever CGC, Batman-Husky/Greyhound , Apollo-GSD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-26-2013, 11:51 PM
Elite Member

Raising my girl in an apartment, I just have to spend a ton of time outside :], it hasn't been a problem at all, more of an annoyance for myself than anything but she's happy here! (think potty training = running down 3 flights of steps to put her in the grass) :P

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Megan
Lara
(12/14/2012) CGC
Jarvan
(12/25/2015) BH
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-27-2013, 12:12 AM
Crowned Member

Yes, most definitely.

I currently have 2 GSD's in my apartment. One is a pretty laid back guy but my female is extremely high energy, very high drive and needs a lot of physical and mental stimulation.

We train 2-4 times per week (schH and agility) and hike at least 1 time per week with daily walks and play sessions.

I do allow my dogs to play a bit in the house due to not having a yard, but they are not allowed to run around or anything.. just a bit of tug or mouth sparring or chasing a ball around with us interacting with them.

My potty time is a walk around our block (20mins) a few times per day.

Today they stayed inside with me all day long with a few potty breaks (no walk, just potty and right back inside) due to me hurting my back. They slept and sat outside on our balcony and watched the people and squirrels go by....

As long as YOU make the commitment to do your part, they will be fine.

One good thing about living in an apartment, is having lots of people, kids, elderly, dogs and elevators, smells, noises, etc.. to socialize your dog with all at your doorstep!

G Wild Winds Zephyr of Cognac BH, HIC, NTD, ITD, CGN, TT
Wild Winds Archangel Raphael HIC, TT
XX z Weberhaus
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-27-2013, 12:14 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mego View Post
Raising my girl in an apartment, I just have to spend a ton of time outside :], it hasn't been a problem at all, more of an annoyance for myself than anything but she's happy here! (think potty training = running down 3 flights of steps to put her in the grass) :P

I did potty training from the 18th floor!!! We went out every 2 hours... I think we had 1 mess when he was sick and that was it. Happy THAT is over for sure! I don't believe in puppy pee pads for training.

G Wild Winds Zephyr of Cognac BH, HIC, NTD, ITD, CGN, TT
Wild Winds Archangel Raphael HIC, TT
XX z Weberhaus
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-27-2013, 09:47 AM
Elite Member

I think that any breed will do just fine in an apartment. I've always found that the rules against allowing people to adopt who live in apartments or houses with small backyards are silly.

Just as everyone else said, as long as the owners are prepared for the challenge; the 2 am run down the steps or in the elevator to get out to the grass for puppies or sick dogs, having to go out to find exercise spots and lots of walking, they'll be fine. A friend of mine has two Huskies who live in his apartment and he does all the right things. The problem with apartments and dogs happen when the owners aren't prepared for the extra things you need to do.

As for apartment/condos...(sorry if this is off topic) but I feel that they should either allow all breeds or no breeds at all.

RIP Sebastian, Baby, Cheyenne, Baxter. Gone but never forgotten.

Finnian The Irish Lad WGSD: SAR
Abeni the Little Warrior: Pomeranian rescue.

"Res nos operor ut alius algo"
"Go mairidís beo"
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-27-2013, 10:37 AM
Crowned Member

I don't think any breed can do well in an apartment. I don't think the scenario should be considered a breed specific problem. It would depend on the individual dog.

Exercise & Potty Training would lay heavily on the owner. That would depend on how much time and effort they are willing to provide to the dog. But it could be done. No doubts there.

Where I would find the difficulty would be a dog who is either fear aggressive or overly aggressive. Even if the owner is 100% careful with their dog, it would bark and bark everytime it heard a noise. Each time the neighbor's toilet flushed. Each time someone closed a door. Ect.

If the dog was raised in an apartment enviornment and was desensitized to that type of activity then it could work. But bringing an adult dog into that type of situation could result in failure.

Hondo Von Dopplet L Bauernhof "Hondo"- GSD
Lilie's Tug McGraw "Tug" - Golden Retriever
Maggie - Mini Dachshund (Rescue)
Lonestar Pivo - Texas Blue Lacy
Ashe - Barn Cat
Katie / APHA
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-27-2013, 11:45 AM
Knighted Member

I said it depends on the dog, but was really looking for "Depends on The Owner"
We have Catahoula Leopard Dog at my job. I wouldn't recommend one of these for an apartment dog. Especially if you are in specialized nursing (like trauma or ER) and pull 12 hour shifts.

But then again, with all the urban sprawl here and building up....we are going to see more of this. As I'm surrounded by computer geniuses (Apple, HP, Google, Intel, etc) for some reason Breed Research is just an impossible concept.
Especially now with the magic of the internet.......*sarcasm*

Gunny GSD & Zoey the Weasel
Sean M. Walsh K-9 Memorial Fund
our goal is to help police agencies establish and maintain a canine team in memory of Sean
Sean's Dogs.com
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-27-2013, 01:14 PM
Knighted Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Cheyanna
Yes. Fiona lives with me in a second floor condo. She goes almost every where with me. But I think the owners have to be conscious of getting them exercised. Having a big backyard does not mean a dog will get exercised. That is silly. GSDs don't necessarily exercise themselves.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Cheyanna

Handler for Service Dog, Fiona Van Sandstein (5/23/12 -- )
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page