View Poll Results: What would you do?
Help the dog on your own 65 81.25%
Call for help 15 18.75%
Leave the dog 0 0%
Voters: 80. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 85 (permalink) Old 02-07-2013, 07:31 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Question What would you do if you hit a dog?

One of the guys at work hit a dog on his way home yesterday. His reaction was to jump out of the car and rush the dog to the vet, where sadly the dog died. He is upset, but was very surprised when another good citizen blocked the road to protect him from getting hit. On another note another guy at work lost 2 GSD's when someone hit them both and kept going. What would you guys do?

Misty- Samoyed Mix, Tannor- Golden Retriever CGC
Robyn- GSD CGC, TC, Midnite-GSD CGC,TC, Brennan-Golden Retriever CGC, Batman-Husky/Greyhound , Apollo-GSD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 85 (permalink) Old 02-07-2013, 07:35 PM
Elite Member

I would do both option one and two..If it wasn't completely obvious what damage was done I'd call the vet and explain everything and if they told me there were things I could do immediately to help I would do those before rushing it to the vet.

I hope I'm never in that situation

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Megan
Lara
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(12/14/2012) CGC
Jarvan
(12/25/2015) BH
post #3 of 85 (permalink) Old 02-07-2013, 07:35 PM
Elite Member

I would get out and rush it to the vets.

I unfortunately lost my GSD Diesel in November when she was hit by a truck right in front of me. The guy in the truck had ample time to stop or even slow down but he didnt, even after he hit my dog he sped off like nothing happened... Worst moment of my life and it will haunt me forever... I still have flashbacks and nightmares of it happening, I would not wish that on anyone and I would do whatever it took if I was the one driving to help save the animal

Penny - GSD - 11/11/2012

Diesel - GSD - 03/15/2010 - 11/05/2012
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 85 (permalink) Old 02-07-2013, 07:36 PM
Knighted Member

I've hit a critter before (not a dog). It died at the vet. I still get nightmares about it :'c. I stopped and I'd stop for a dog, take it to the vet and pay the medical bills. But it's be traumatizing either way...
post #5 of 85 (permalink) Old 02-07-2013, 07:36 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandiah89 View Post

I unfortunately lost my GSD Diesel in November when she was hit by a truck right in front of me. The guy in the truck had ample time to stop or even slow down but he didnt, even after he hit my dog he sped off like nothing happened... Worst moment of my life and it will haunt me forever... I still have flashbacks and nightmares of it happening, I would not wish that on anyone and I would do whatever it took if I was the one driving to help save the animal
Omg, that is horrible. i am so sorry I hope that guy never has an animal, that's just wrong to drive away.

Megan
Lara
(12/14/2012) CGC
Jarvan
(12/25/2015) BH
post #6 of 85 (permalink) Old 02-07-2013, 07:40 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandiah89 View Post

My dalmatian was hit by a car right in front of my son who was about 5 at the time...she was across the street with my sister and seen my son, she got out of her collar and ran to him. She did live, but it was very expensive. The guy had plenty of time to stop..the guy behind him did. My son was hysterical.

Robyn- GSD CGC, TC, Midnite-GSD CGC,TC, Brennan-Golden Retriever CGC, Batman-Husky/Greyhound , Apollo-GSD
post #7 of 85 (permalink) Old 02-07-2013, 07:41 PM
Crowned Member

I'd take it to the vet if needed and contact the owners if at all possible

If the dog died right away I would still contact the owners if at all possible, if nothing else to express my regret and I know if I was the owner I would want to know what happened.

Shanna

My Pack:

Jasmine - Female Miniature Poodle - born Aug 15, 2010
Loker Delgado Von Stalworth - Male GSD - born Jan 26, 2012
Koda & Zazu - 7 year old male cats
Alex - Male Cocker Spaniel (rescue) - RIP Cuddlebug 2007-2010
post #8 of 85 (permalink) Old 02-07-2013, 07:42 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

The dog that was hit yesterday had a microchip and the owner came in immediately, but there was nothing the vet could do. When my co worker tried to pay for it, the vet told him that because he did the right thing that this one was on the house. The dog had to be put down, but the owner got to say good bye.

post #9 of 85 (permalink) Old 02-07-2013, 07:52 PM
Master Member

What would you do if you hit a dog?

I hit a dog the day I got my permit so my time legally behind the wheel. Thankfully my dad was with me and the dog wasn't hurt but I was an emotional wreck, the owner made an offhandedly comment about teaching his dog a lesson about chasing cars. My dad left our phone number in case any vet bills came up, never heard from the guy again.

If it ever happened again I'd extend the same courtesy in hopes that someone would do the same for me.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Courtney M.
SG1
, BH 07/01/2013
post #10 of 85 (permalink) Old 02-07-2013, 07:55 PM
Crowned Member

I would help the dog. If I couldn't lift it safely, I'd call for help.
I carry crate/towels/muzzle in my van...I could never just leave the scene.
A few weeks ago, my daughter texted me and asked where the dogs were. Her friends parents just arrived at the house my daughter was at, and said they saw a GSD get hit(right by my area). My dogs were inside, and I assumed that the dog was helped. Come to find out the dog ran off when everyone stopped to help/she was injured and crying. Another week passed with heavy snowfall and then I saw a CL ad with a missing GSD right near my home. So I e-mailed the person to let them know about the hit GSD and gave them contact info on the witnesses. She's still missing, but I guess she was spotted the following day of the hit...I can't imagine she's still alive

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page