Do you make your dog do something for his medicine treat? - German Shepherd Dog Forums
View Poll Results: Do you make your dog perform for a treat with pills encased, etc?
Yes, Anything that makes the pill go in is fair game. 5 27.78%
Yes, yes, it makes me feel guilty for tricking her with her treat. 0 0%
Yes, but I always make them sit when I give them anything, no guilt. 8 44.44%
No, usually they just scarf them down anyway. 3 16.67%
No, sometimes they spit the capsules out. 1 5.56%
No, I don't bother with treats, I just shove the pills in and massage the neck. 1 5.56%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-03-2012, 02:39 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Do you make your dog do something for his medicine treat?

Ok, Ninja the ex-conehead, has actually finished all her meds. I stuffed them in pill pockets and instead of just giving them to her, I mad her SIT, and then down, and got her jazzed up and then she scarfed the thing down before she realized it was hiding a pill.

So I have a few questions, please read through and answer the most correct answer for you:

1st is do you make them do something, like Sit, or Down for the treatified pills?
2nd, if you do, do you feel guilty for making them work for it
3rd, do you think they really know, but are just going along with it?

Heidi Ho, Odie
Joy-Joy, Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Ramona the Pest, Kojak -- who loves you baby?
Tiny Tinnie, Susie's Uzzi, Kaiah -- The Baby Monster.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-03-2012, 02:42 PM
Crowned Member

No. I can't fool Jax. I consider myself lucky if I can get her to not spit it out on the first try.

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-03-2012, 02:43 PM
Master Member

I do, they think it's a regular treat that way. If I don't they think something is up. The only one I do differently is Havoc my WGSL. Dog has a nose like no other... He smells the pill and never fails to refuse to eat a treat with a pill no matter what I hide it in. I just shove pulls down his throat lol

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older and more complete than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-03-2012, 02:45 PM
Crowned Member

1st is do you make them do something, like Sit, or Down for the treatified pills?

Yes, I will ask for a sit.

Not at all

I can fool him but always have a 'chaser' treat that I hold in my hand, so he will take the treat with the med and be excited for the next treat minus the med.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-03-2012, 02:56 PM
Crowned Member

Hondo hates his heartworm prevention meds. Lonestar will eat anything..anything. So I make them each do a trick. Lonestar first - Hondo will be eager to get what ever Lonestar is getting. So not only do I use a trick to medicate in a treat..I trick Hondo into thinking he has to gulp the treat(meds) so Lonestar doesn't get any.

Hondo Von Dopplet L Bauernhof "Hondo"- GSD
Lilie's Tug McGraw "Tug" - Golden Retriever
Maggie - Mini Dachshund (Rescue)
Lonestar Pivo - Texas Blue Lacy
Ashe - Barn Cat
Katie / APHA
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-03-2012, 03:19 PM
Crowned Member

Harley swallows just about anything you throw at him. (food/treats) He's real easy to give pills to.
I think Annie is the reincarnation of a former king. She inpects anything you give her if it isn't familiar just to be sure you aren't trying to off her with arsenic or something. She spits out pills, then she smells them, then she paws at them with her foot. Final step is she walks away sulking because it wasn't something she liked. For her I throw the pill down her throat and make sure it stays down.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-03-2012, 03:30 PM

I make my own "pill pockets" and am VERY thankful that Angel will take them with no problem, as she is now getting 5 1/2 pills twice a day, due to having a tick borne disease (yes - even while on Advantix regularly!) She loves her heartworm pills, but for the others, I take a small piece of bread, flatten it out, put a VERY small amt of peanut butter on it, then wrap it around the pill. works GREAT and I dont think Angel even realizes that she is getting a pill in it!!
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-03-2012, 03:41 PM
Knighted Member

I have to give a lot of pills and I don't make Kiya or Apache do anything for them, both get pills twice a day.
Lakoda on the other hand doesn't require any daily pills but to keep her from feeling left out I give her a tiny piece of liverworst and yes she must do something for it, and I am totally guilt free for it.

Carolyn
Lakota - WGSD 1/13/10
Wolfen - WGSD 12/31/14
Bull -WGSD 2-10-10
💔
Apache - Shiloh Shepherd 12/15/02 - 6/9/15
Kiya - Shiloh Shepherd 5/15/04 -12/19/25
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-03-2012, 04:12 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by selzer View Post

So I have a few questions, please read through and answer the most correct answer for you:

1) Most of the time I don't, but sometimes I do. Like when she was going through heart-worm treatment I would occasionally make her sit or shake to get her medicine. Sasha's really good about it though as long as there is some sort of tasty snack (cheese, meat, peanut butter, etc.) surrounding the pill. In fact, since she had to take so much medicine during her treatment, she now knows the word medicine (although when I say it to her I pronounce it medsin) and she get very excited when I ask her if she wants any.

2. Not even a little bit. Sasha loves working for stuff.

3. Yes, or at least sometimes, because the little brat discovered that if she ate the meat or whatever surrounding it and spat out the pill she got another piece of meat. Well, this went on a couple of times before I caught on, and then she got it shoved down her throat, and forced to swallow it. After that, I never had a problem with her spitting it out to try and get more treats.

~Sasha~{GSD}~ 3ish~Gotcha day January, 29, 2011
~Monte~{Golden Retriever}~ (RIP)~ 1997-2009

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page