Are you sick of Pit threads? - German Shepherd Dog Forums
View Poll Results: Are you sick of Pit threads?
Yes 34 66.67%
NO 17 33.33%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 94 (permalink) Old 03-29-2012, 08:57 AM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Are you sick of Pit threads?

OK so first let me apologize I'm in a mood today. I logged on with my coffee to get a little distraction for the day, and first off found one thread that was completely unrelated now turning into a Pit debate AGAIN.

I do not have a Pit, don't know enough about them to know if I ever would. I grew up around family that had them, they were lovely dogs. Most of my childhood memories was of playing and snuggling for hours with them. I couldn't wait to get to my Aunt's to play with them. I'm not saying they're all lovely any more then I'd say every GSD is a good example. BUT seriously....why does everything have to turn into a back and forth??

Little story, I took Sherman to the pet store this week. We were over by the tag dispenser getting new tags. There was a lady checking out with a Weim. Her dog kept trying to get to the end of his leash to see Sherman. He was squealing and pulling and acting up. Sherman held his sit for awhile but finally lowered his front end in a playful stance, with his butt wagging as fast as it possibly could and let out a playful bark. The woman yanked her dog back over to her and said loudly "NO Rocky that Pit wants to hurt you" WHAT? first he's not a pit, second my 2 yr old can read dog emotions better than that woman!! I couldn't help myself and I replied "he's not a pit, he's a new breed of poodle "

Point is, so many dogs are mistaken for pits....that woman is probably sitting on a Weim forum right now talking about the horrible Pit she encountered at Petsmart. Maybe we can't all agree to disagree...but I wish we could. I for one don't think you can judge an entire breed on their over breeding and bad fortune of having a "rep" and often owned by less than stellar owners.

Anyway that's just my rant for the day. Now you can all turn this into a Pit debate
Here's a pic of my offending Pit, who gets identified as a Pit much more often then people actually guess correctly

Candice
Mr Sherman Tank
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Everyday brings a new challenge

Kaos
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 94 (permalink) Old 03-29-2012, 09:03 AM

SHERMAN got mistaken for a PIT????? holy crap, now that's a really ignorant person! personally i adore a good pit bull. i've known some really wonderful pitties. i've known some that had been turned really terrible, but i didn't love them less, it wasn't their fault they were so awful. i detested the human that made them that way.

i would have a couple of them myself if i could convince my husband that bullies aren't any more dangerous than any other breed of dog. but in all the years we've been together it's the one thing i haven't been able to change his mind about in dogs. but i think i've done pretty well considering the first "pet" he ever had in his life was when he came to stay w/me and i had dogs. lol

i'm sorry you ran into an idiot. that's the problem w/the world. it's really packed full of them.

dw
post #3 of 94 (permalink) Old 03-29-2012, 09:18 AM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Sherman gets called a Pit at least once a week. For the most part it's been good comments, so I don't always correct them I just smile and nod and figure Sherm is doing his part for being a good ambassador for the breed However when people have been outright prejudice based on his look rather than his behavior, I always state that he's a new designer poodle breed.....let them take the heat for awhile!!

I just don't understand why it becomes SO heated all the time. Yes my dogs have been attacked by off leash dogs, they were

1. German Shepherd
2. Black Lab
3. numerous little dogs
4. Golden Retriever

Candice
Mr Sherman Tank

Kaos
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 94 (permalink) Old 03-29-2012, 09:32 AM
Elite Member

I don't see Pit in Sherman...AT ALL! I know it is probably here in the threads somewhere, but what breed(s) is he?

-Jessica

Cheyenne von der Price-Sable GSD-12/20/10-CGC
Faegan vom Johnson-Haus "Panzer"-Black GSD-12/31/11-S.T.A.R. Puppy
post #5 of 94 (permalink) Old 03-29-2012, 09:34 AM

i gotta say we've never been attacked by a pittie dog on our walks. it's almost always been by little dogs and once by rotties, and once by dobies. but i can't say that's a good thing. if you look in the back yards around here you'd see the pits are on tow chains hooked up to fences or trees. so, tho it's good for ME not to be run down by pitties, it's bad for them cuz they just don't have any quality of life at all in the areas that i see them in. it's rare to see one treated strictly as a pet.

dw
post #6 of 94 (permalink) Old 03-29-2012, 09:38 AM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jprice103 View Post
I don't see Pit in Sherman...AT ALL! I know it is probably here in the threads somewhere, but what breed(s) is he?

I've never thought he looked like a Pit either. He is actually an English Mastiff/ GSD mix. I think because he is so "thick" maybe that is why he gets mistaken?? Having him has truly taught me how breed "ignorant" people can be...which is unfortunate, how many other dogs are labelled Pits?

Candice
Mr Sherman Tank

Kaos
post #7 of 94 (permalink) Old 03-29-2012, 09:40 AM
Knighted Member

We had a great pit for years. He would never hurt anyone in the family but did protect my husband from being mugged a couple times. When he got older and crossed the bridge we still had a half pit/half GSD. She was a great dog too, protected the neighborhood from burglaries at least four times. I think pits are great, but too many people abuse the breed and give it a bad name. Now I have two GSD's and I still miss Spook, my pit.

Teri

Amorette Vom Godinghofer of Summerland (AKA Abby) 5/21/15
Snake Vom Eselspfad RN CGC (AKA Raina) 3/5/08
Pyrate CGC 4/1/03-5/16/12 RIP

Too many to list waiting at the bridge but remembering them all
post #8 of 94 (permalink) Old 03-29-2012, 09:42 AM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonwyke View Post
i gotta say we've never been attacked by a pittie dog on our walks. it's almost always been by little dogs and once by rotties, and once by dobies. but i can't say that's a good thing. if you look in the back yards around here you'd see the pits are on tow chains hooked up to fences or trees. so, tho it's good for ME not to be run down by pitties, it's bad for them cuz they just don't have any quality of life at all in the areas that i see them in. it's rare to see one treated strictly as a pet.

dw
Our neighbors next door had a Pit when they moved in. He was a sweet boy....fought cancer 3 times, finally at the age of 16 they had to say goodbye. Our other neighbors have a "well-bred" one that is nice as well. It makes me sad around here, how many are in the Humane society and rescues, well over 1/2 the dogs available are Pits. Many of them will never know the love of a family and a home due to peoples ignorance in over breeding and mistreatment....then when they do end up in rescues so many "good" homes are scared to give them a try. Just one of many things that makes me sad.

Candice
Mr Sherman Tank

Kaos
post #9 of 94 (permalink) Old 03-29-2012, 09:51 AM
Elite Member

When my children were young, 7 and 3, they had friends down the street who had a Pit. This was the first Pit I had ever known. This dog was the SWEETEST dog you would ever meet! The kids would climb all over him, try to ride him, and give him big hugs (that practically squeezed this dog to death lol) and he just licked them, and loved them! Sometimes he'd get out of their backyard, and come down to our house and look in our front door. We'd let him in and he would make himself at home and play with my kids. I NEVER ONCE had reservations about leaving the kids alone with him, and often left the room when he was in the playroom with my kids...I trusted him that much!

So yes...due to some bad breeding/poor raising, these sweet. lovable dogs have gotten such a bad rap and it is SO sad!! If we hadn't gone the GSD route, we would have gotten a Pit! No question!!

-Jessica

Cheyenne von der Price-Sable GSD-12/20/10-CGC
Faegan vom Johnson-Haus "Panzer"-Black GSD-12/31/11-S.T.A.R. Puppy
post #10 of 94 (permalink) Old 03-29-2012, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysweetkaos View Post
Many of them will never know the love of a family and a home due to peoples ignorance in over breeding and mistreatment....
one of the most enraging things i see so often is the ads on Craigs List for pit puppies, parents on premises. with all the pits in rescue and inshelter people are still breeding these dogs like they were an endangered species. you can't look on the list on any given day w/out seeing at least 3 ads for a new litter of puppies! i can't figure out where these people think these puppies will end up. can they really be that uninformed?

dw
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page