how would you react? - German Shepherd Dog Forums
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-19-2012, 10:52 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

how would you react?

hypothetical question/situation.

Lets say you go to a friend or family members house in which you have not visited in a while or have never been to, and this person has a small yappy pooch in this house, how do you react. The behavior of the dog is for this situation, barking wildly at you as soon as you enter, or jumping on you from the moment you get inside.

I know as GSD owners, we tend to not tolerate this behavior from our dogs, so how would you react when another dog, be it an "ankle biter" acts this way towards you.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, Mar 19, 2011

Prince vom Gildaf "Charles" August 16, 2012
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-19-2012, 11:01 PM
Crowned Member

Unfortunately if the owner isn't doing anything, your best bet is to just try and ignore, once the dog sees it's not getting any reaction it may stop. If they're physically touching or jumping on you, I don't see how a firm but gentle push or poke would be wrong. If it continues tell the owner that you're uncomfortable and ask them to remove or control the dog, that may be enough "hint" that the owner will step in

Shanna

My Pack:

Jasmine - Female Miniature Poodle - born Aug 15, 2010
Loker Delgado Von Stalworth - Male GSD - born Jan 26, 2012
Koda & Zazu - 7 year old male cats
Alex - Male Cocker Spaniel (rescue) - RIP Cuddlebug 2007-2010
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-19-2012, 11:04 PM
Master Member

I would attempt to calm the dog down if possible. If not I would ignore it. I don't see how this requires your correction as it is not your dog.

Ditto GSD- 6 years old
Daisy Alaskan Husky- 4 years old
Weegee Toy Poodle- 2 years old

Always loved, missed, and remembered:

Dakota GSD mix 3/26/04-5/04/14
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-19-2012, 11:11 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

It is just a completely hypothetical scenario... I was reading the chihuahua on dangerous breed thread and was thinking about the breed stereotypes. You go over to a friends house with a big ole dog trying to jump on you, you get mad, but if it is a smaller dog, does a big dog (such as a gsd) owner get mad? just kinda wanting other perspectives on this.
I guess what im getting at is would you just let it happen or would you tell the friend they need to correct it or correct it yourself (if this was happening to you)

, Mar 19, 2011

Prince vom Gildaf "Charles" August 16, 2012
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-19-2012, 11:13 PM
Elite Member

I would ignore the dog and the behavior. I might turn my body to stop the jumping, since jumping dogs irritate me, but I would not correct the dog or reprimand the owners in any way. If the dog was being overly obnoxious I might mention it in conversation, but in a nice, non-confrontational way. It is not my dog so I have no right to issue any type of correction. I would only help if they asked.

Chrissy

Pookie, Papillon 4/17/09
Kaiser, GSD 4/14/11
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-19-2012, 11:17 PM
Master Member

If the dog was jumping and didn't stop after I greeted it, I would tell it "down." But I wouldn't take it further because it isn't my dog. I would do the same for a big dog. I wouldn't say anything to the owner, but if they asked I would offer them advice and demonstrate how to train his/her dog. If the dog was too annoying I wouldn't return to their home, but I am pretty tolerant when it comes to annoying dogs.

Ditto GSD- 6 years old
Daisy Alaskan Husky- 4 years old
Weegee Toy Poodle- 2 years old

Always loved, missed, and remembered:

Dakota GSD mix 3/26/04-5/04/14
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-19-2012, 11:28 PM
Banned

i would ignore it but if it was to much i would
ask them to confine the dog. leave and invite them
to your house.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-20-2012, 07:08 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verivus View Post
I would ignore the dog and the behavior. I might turn my body to stop the jumping, since jumping dogs irritate me, but I would not correct the dog or reprimand the owners in any way. If the dog was being overly obnoxious I might mention it in conversation, but in a nice, non-confrontational way. It is not my dog so I have no right to issue any type of correction. I would only help if they asked.
This.

Leah
Niko: American Showline GSD 5 years old
Rosa: American Muppet Dog (GSD/Border Collie mix) 5 years old
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-20-2012, 07:19 AM
Knighted Member

I had this happen a few years ago. A little yapper was tormenting me. The owner finally picked him up, and held him for the duration of my stay.
As I was leaving, I shook my friends' hand, and the little yapper lunged at my sleeve and shredded my leather jacket sleeve.

He laughed, I was P.O.'d, but shrugged it off, and was glad it wasn't a GS.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-20-2012, 07:28 AM
Crowned Member

The girl I work with has a dog like this, the first time I went to her house, the dog barked non stop. I tried to play with her, tried, ignoring and I tried feeding it. Only when I gave her food did she stay quiet for more then 10 seconds. Needless to say this dog barked at me non stop every time UNTIL they got a second dog...all of the sudden when I went there she let me hold her and gave me kisses..I was amazed that she changed like that and very quickly.

Misty- Samoyed Mix, Tannor- Golden Retriever CGC
Robyn- GSD CGC, TC, Midnite-GSD CGC,TC, Brennan-Golden Retriever CGC, Batman-Husky/Greyhound , Apollo-GSD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page