Mandatory Spay and Neutering - German Shepherd Dog Forums
View Poll Results: Mandatory Spaying and Neutering
Yes, I am for it except for licensed breeders 15 11.63%
No, I am against it. It is my pet and I will decide what is best for my dog. 100 77.52%
Neither, please explain. 15 11.63%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 129. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 141 (permalink) Old 01-23-2012, 03:16 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Mandatory Spay and Neutering

I just read this article in Cesar Milan's website, Cesar's Way.

What are your thoughts on mandatory spay and neutering?

Solving the Stray and Unwanted Dog Problem | CesarsWay.com

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[COLOR="Purple"]Michelle
Mom to
Stella ~ GSD
Figgy ~ Tuxedo Cat
CoCo ~ Tabby Cat

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

RIP

Rio, GSD
SheRah, GSD Mix
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 141 (permalink) Old 01-23-2012, 03:23 PM
Banned

Licensed breeder could still be "puppy mill", so that would need to be defined.
post #3 of 141 (permalink) Old 01-23-2012, 03:44 PM
Crowned Member

noooooo....I agree that the majority of pets should be s/n because the owners can't keep them from breeding. However, I had a female that was 4yrs before spay. Doesn't take a genius to make sure she isn't let out alone when in heat. And the jury is still out as to the health effects of s/n. How about the ppl that show? Not breed, just show in confirmation. If they are s/n they can't be shown.

I think mandatory anything is a slippery slope. Mandatory rabies...and now we are seeing teh affects of over vaccination. Not saying rabies shouldn't be mandatory but maybe the yearly should be evaluated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 141 (permalink) Old 01-23-2012, 03:50 PM
Administrator & LOTR Addict

I voted no. This is between myself and my vet and what is right for my dog. Everyone else needs to MYOB.

Lisa Clark

SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena IPO1 KKL CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) IPO2 KKL B/HOT, Jarka (up and coming) BHOT, and gone but not forgotten,
Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

post #5 of 141 (permalink) Old 01-23-2012, 03:55 PM
Elite Member

why does everyone else think they know what's best for everyone else? Seriously. I used to think breeders really needed to be regulated, now I could care less because it really doesn't matter.

if someone has 400 breeding dogs stacked on top of each other in sheds producing puppies by the thousands, they do it because people buy them.

The guy that spends 150 bucks for two dogs out of the newspaper and decides they need money for rent and to buy his momma a new pair of shows, breeds his dogs for some extra cash. More often than not, they find homes for these dogs. Whether they make money or not isn't really important. If they make it, they probably breed again and sell them, if not, they probably won't, but either way they usually find homes for all of the dogs because people wanting puppies are everywhere.

and they guy that spends thousands every year titling, working, training and proving his dogs has a few litters and yes, most of them also find homes.

almost every single dog you see in a shelter or rescue was somebody's pet once. There is no shortage of people wanting dogs, but there is definitely a shortage of those willing to live up to their responsibilities of owning a dog. Fixing that is about the only thing that is going to fix this problem without placing all the burden on those it will affect the least.
post #6 of 141 (permalink) Old 01-23-2012, 03:56 PM
Crowned Member

No. No no no no no. Responsible dog owners shouldn't be punished because of irresponsible dog owners.

- 6 years

At the Bridge:
Cash Adopted 2007 - 7/28/2010

Rocky 4/19/2002 - 1/16/2015 to DM
post #7 of 141 (permalink) Old 01-23-2012, 03:59 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax08 View Post
noooooo....I agree that the majority of pets should be s/n because the owners can't keep them from breeding. However, I had a female that was 4yrs before spay. Doesn't take a genius to make sure she isn't let out alone when in heat. And the jury is still out as to the health effects of s/n. How about the ppl that show? Not breed, just show in confirmation. If they are s/n they can't be shown.

I think mandatory anything is a slippery slope. Mandatory rabies...and now we are seeing teh affects of over vaccination. Not saying rabies shouldn't be mandatory but maybe the yearly should be evaluated.

I agree. I have recently decided not to spay my puppy. Well at least not until she has reached maturity. However I also feel that I am a responsable owner and can handle it.
post #8 of 141 (permalink) Old 01-23-2012, 04:00 PM
Crowned Member

No No No...not the answer to mandate spay/neuter laws....ugh...
post #9 of 141 (permalink) Old 01-23-2012, 04:01 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoore View Post
No. No no no no no. Responsible dog owners shouldn't be punished because of irresponsible dog owners.
I agree

[COLOR="Purple"]Michelle
Mom to
Stella ~ GSD
Figgy ~ Tuxedo Cat
CoCo ~ Tabby Cat

RIP

Rio, GSD
SheRah, GSD Mix
post #10 of 141 (permalink) Old 01-23-2012, 04:06 PM
Master Member

I saw that article as well. It's very interesting. I am for mandatory SN for all mixes as well as breeds that are over represented in shelters such as pit bulls and chihuahuas.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page