Which is better: 4 foot or 6 foot leashes? - German Shepherd Dog Forums
View Poll Results: Which do you think is better?
4 foot leash 18 22.22%
6 foot leash 34 41.98%
They're both equally good 23 28.40%
None of the above (please reply and explain!) 6 7.41%
Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-19-2012, 11:47 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Question Which is better: 4 foot or 6 foot leashes?

So the title pretty much says it all... Which is better: 4 ft or 6 ft leash, and why?

I am partially asking because I'm thinking of buying a new leash that matches Bianca's collar and they come in either 4 or 6 foot, 1" wide leather.
Also I'm just curious what other people use. I use 6 foot for most things (except for walks I use a custom 7 foot over-the-shoulder Biothane leash) but I am considering getting a 4 foot since it would be better for some things(like events) and I don't really have one that length. Besides the custom leash I mostly use 6 foot leather leashes that are very skinny, maybe 3/8"?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jubal/Tesla (Beauceron) 3/14/14
Bianca HIC CGC TT (GSD) 4/24/04-10/23/12

Last edited by Chicagocanine; 01-19-2012 at 11:49 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-20-2012, 12:11 AM
Banned

I got a 6' with a short handle right next to the snap - GREAT leash as it is very much easier to coontrol my dog with the handle in close traffic; but I can let him wander a bit when we can. And the 6' length is great for practicing his formal obedience.
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-20-2012, 12:20 AM
Crowned Member

I prefer the 4ft. I don't like having a lot of extra slack and never let Sage get out away from me in crowds so prefer 4ft or less when out in public

-Brandi

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
6-5-09

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-20-2012, 03:11 AM
Master Member

I chose none of the above. I think it depends on the dog and the situation. Dakota's leash is just over 1 foot. It is this way because he chew through two leashes (within a matter of seconds) and because he walks rather slow most of the time so slack isn't needed. Ditto's leash is probably 6 feet long ( I'm not measuring, this is a good estimate) it is good for running and for general walks. Daisy's is probably about 5 feet long and is good for general walks and OKAY for walking. In the future, if I can afford to do so, I'd like to have a long leash/lead (7 foot) for times when a leash isn't 100% necessary but I still dont quite trust the dog, such as on trails perhaps, a 5 foot for general neighborhood walking, and a short one for walking through crowds for each dog. When I take Ditto in crowds I use Dakota's leash and it provides great control.

Ditto GSD- 6 years old
Daisy Alaskan Husky- 4 years old
Weegee Toy Poodle- 2 years old

Always loved, missed, and remembered:

Dakota GSD mix 3/26/04-5/04/14
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-20-2012, 04:30 AM
Crowned Member

I like the 4 ft leash. I don't like Ozzy being way out in front of me. A little bit ahead is fine, but I don't like him being 5 feet ahead.

Ozzy - Chocolate Pom
-FDCh-G
-TF-III
-Fastest 2012/2013 U-FLI Pomeranian

"In a perfect world, every dog would have a home and every home would have a dog."
post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-20-2012, 06:01 AM
Banned

i voted equally as good. when your dog is trained
to heel what difference does it make? you can loop
a 6', 7', 8', etc. leash and make it half it's length,
you can fold it down or slide your hand down the leash
to take away some of it's length.
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-20-2012, 07:16 AM
Rua
Master Member

I've been using a 3 foot leash that's been really good considering we are still working on the whole "walking on the lead" thing. I have a 6 foot as well, which I plan to use once Juno gets a bit more coordinated on her lead.
post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-20-2012, 07:22 AM
Crowned Member

I prefer four foot for running and for walking in public. Only use the six foot for walks if we are out on the back roads with no people.

Leah
Niko: American Showline GSD 5 years old
Rosa: American Muppet Dog (GSD/Border Collie mix) 5 years old
post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-20-2012, 07:43 AM
Crowned Member

I use a 3' as my trial lead (can't stand extra lead bunched up in my hand or lead hanging down) and 6' for multi-purpose. DH prefers 6-8' for jogging the dogs. In a crowded area I'd use my 3' to walk a dog.
post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-20-2012, 07:50 AM
Elite Member

We use 3 foot leads most of the time, we have a dozen 6 ft leads around but almost never use them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page