Is it better to start with a puppy or a trained dog? - German Shepherd Dog Forums
View Poll Results: Is it better to start with a trained dog, or a green dog for competitions?
Trained dog (explain) 3 8.11%
Green dog/puppy (explain) 16 43.24%
It depends. 18 48.65%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-16-2012, 10:10 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Is it better to start with a puppy or a trained dog?

For competitions and the like. Is it better to get a trained dog and do competitions such as agility, obedience, and schutzhund, or is it better to start with a puppy or young/green dog and train it yourself, learning with it?

I'm on the fence. Let me know what you guys think.

Viking vom Zeder-Kamme (11/19/2011)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-16-2012, 10:16 PM

I have no experience with competing...but I imagine that the best part would be the relationship that is built through training the dog yourself. I also think that the accomplishment of training a dog is pretty awesome, especially if you reach a competition level.

Gracie - GSD - May 3, 2011
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-16-2012, 10:17 PM
Crowned Member

I think both ways are fine. I like a clean slate, but surely could have learned from a dog that already knew the drills.

IMO, the dog is only a part of the team. And if you are new to a sport, the trainer you select is key in how you and the dog gel....regardless of experience on either end of the line. I'm glad I started with a puppy, because I absolutely love puppies. Some people aren't tolerant of that stage and just want a dog to work...green dog is better for them. It all depends on what your goals are and what you really want individually.

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-16-2012, 10:20 PM
Banned

i would get a pup and train it. with a pup i'm getting the complete
experience from puppyhood to the ring.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-16-2012, 10:20 PM
Elite Member

Would prefer starting with a puppy so we can learn together and establish a stronger bond. I think there is something about experiencing the challenges but also the victories together..the funny blunders, etc that an already "trained" dog would not provide.

L'chaim
Elvi

Lexie (Rotti-x), Max (GSD/Husky), Sophie (WGSD)
R.I.P. Ozzy, Sabrie, Kaiser (GSDs), Peaches (Cat)

"Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending." - Maria Robinson
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-16-2012, 10:24 PM

green dog

Starting with a green dog allows you to 1 build a relationship with the dog so they want to work with you 2 allows you to dictate the methods and commands the dog is trained with 3 allows you to see the progression of the dog so you learn how to troubleshoot behavior (which will allow you to train the future dogs with more success and will make the need for trips to the trainer less frequent) 4 It is ok to have a trainer/ breeder help you pick the pup, but people and dogs have a special connection, buying a trained dog may limit your options in finding the dog you really bond with. and 5. the whole reason for sport work is to give your dog something to do with you... buying the dog just doesn't seem to have a point for sport work.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-16-2012, 10:29 PM
Crowned Member

I know of someone that bought a titled spayed female to learn from. She was a 2 and trained/titled in Germany. The handler/owner learned alot from her, because her titles were probably rushed so she could be bred/sold to the US. Learning about a dog that is already titled, and dealing with some of the training issues that went with the dog(fix the problems) gave that handler insight she'd never gotten with a young green dog or a baby puppy.

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Always in my heart
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-16-2012, 10:31 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by onyx'girl View Post
Learning about a dog that is already titled, and dealing with some of the training issues that went with the dog(fix the problems) gave that handler insight she'd never gotten with a young green dog or a baby puppy.
hmmm, interesting. Never thought of it that way.

L'chaim
Elvi

Lexie (Rotti-x), Max (GSD/Husky), Sophie (WGSD)
R.I.P. Ozzy, Sabrie, Kaiser (GSDs), Peaches (Cat)

"Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending." - Maria Robinson
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-16-2012, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onyx'girl View Post
I know of someone that bought a titled spayed female to learn from. She was a 2 and trained/titled in Germany. The handler/owner learned alot from her, because her titles were probably rushed so she could be bred/sold to the US. Learning about a dog that is already titled, and dealing with some of the training issues that went with the dog(fix the problems) gave that handler insight she'd never gotten with a young green dog or a baby puppy.
That's cool, but why would you want that? Especially when you could just train the dog the right way in the first place?
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-16-2012, 10:35 PM
Crowned Member

Because this dog basically fell in her lap. Not sure what she paid, but the person she got the dog from overpaid bigtime from the breeder that imported her. She wasn't breedworthy(heat cycles were messed up) so she had to be spayed.
I personally have learned so much from fixing a dogs issues rather than just going with the flow and having the dog be easy going.
All my dogs up until Onyx have been easily trained/non reactive. She taught me so much on behaviors and health issues. If she'd been like my other dogs, I'd still be stagnant in my knowledge.

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Always in my heart
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page