Okay to tie dog outside? - German Shepherd Dog Forums
View Poll Results: Is it okay to tie dog outside (No Fence)
Yes 21 18.92%
No 90 81.08%
Voters: 111. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-12-2012, 07:20 PM Thread Starter

Okay to tie dog outside?

Do you think it is okay to tie your GSD outside for 5-10 in the yard instead of taking the dog out and staying out there with it? This would be in the front yard with no fence.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-12-2012, 07:23 PM
Crowned Member

Well this was an easy one...no.....did you get a puppy for Christmas?

Rosa

Mom to;
Shiloh, 8.5 year old LCGSD
Shoshona, 7.5 year old LCGSD
Eli, 5 year old LCGSD

Every dog deserves to have a human that thinks they are the greatest dog that ever lived!
post #3 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-12-2012, 07:26 PM
Knighted Member

Unattended-no
If you are out there with him, like you say, but he just needs a tie out for safety- then I don't see why not- and I'm sure he'd like to be hanging out with you.

Edit: Do you mean this will replace all walks- or just sometimes?

ADCH Mikko (USDAA) SCH-B; (NADAC) EAC, EJC, TN-E, TG-E, VerO; (AKC) NAJ, CGC; (NACSW) NW1 - 9 year old GSD

Last edited by I_LOVE_MY_MIKKO; 01-12-2012 at 07:32 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-12-2012, 07:31 PM
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbie4christmas View Post
Do you think it is okay to tie your GSD outside for 5-10 in the yard instead of taking the dog out and staying out there with it? This would be in the front yard with no fence.
Oh wow. Good luck with this one.
post #5 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-12-2012, 07:38 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbie4christmas View Post
I can't vote because I don't know enough details. Is this a pup? I'm *assuming* so with your username.

If a pup, nope.

My adults (non-GSD) are on a tie out sometimes. Especially on nice days. They like to just kinda veg out in the sunshine.

But if this is a youngun, I wouldn't leave him/her alone on a tie out. Most pups wouldn't like that a whole lot anyway.
post #6 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-12-2012, 07:43 PM
Knighted Member

In a front yard, unattended? No. Even in a few minutes, a pup can get loose, run off and get hit by a car or get stolen by someone or get poisoned by a nasty neighbor.

Debbi-
Mom to:
-Dharma Van Fluffy Pants GSD
-Pippa Von Neurotic Butt- GSD
-Tessa- 11yo GSD- Waiting at the Bridge. RIP sweet girl.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-12-2012, 07:43 PM
Knighted Member

Why do you need to tie the dog out? Do you mean 5 to 10 minutes?

Did you just get your pup? If so and you are potty training, you need to take the dog out on a leash to quickly potty break him.

Even if he is potty trained, it's better if you take him out on a leash (definitely on a leash if there's no fence) so you can monitor his urination and feces. Poop tells you a lot

Safety issues. There are some people out there that wouldn't think twice about getting out of their car and stealing your pup. Purebreds (specially puppies) would fetch a decent price on craigslist. Also, stray or loose dogs can come to your yard (unfenced) and attack your pup (easy pickings on a tie out).

Ash
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #8 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-12-2012, 07:44 PM
Crowned Member

5-10 what? Minutes. Probably ok. Hours? Heck no.

- 6 years

At the Bridge:
Cash Adopted 2007 - 7/28/2010

Rocky 4/19/2002 - 1/16/2015 to DM
post #9 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-12-2012, 07:49 PM
Crowned Member

My parents leave the dog tied for up to 1/2 hour. But that is in the back yard, and even then some roaming dogs did get to him once, and some lady was feeding him treats one day.

Usually they set the timer for ten minutes, but he gets 1/2 hour in the morning.

I think a puppy is much more vulnerable than an adult dog. They can be stolen easier, bullying or teasing will have more lasting effects, and getting attacked by whatever can really be bad.

Anyhow, it is an ok question, but my guess is that you are going to get a lot more no's then yes's, and you should qualify 5-10 minutes.

Also for a pup, you want to be there so you can praise any pottying.

Heidi Ho, Odie
Joy-Joy, Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Ramona the Pest, Kojak -- who loves you baby?
Tiny Tinnie, Susie's Uzzi, Kaiah -- The Baby Monster.
post #10 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-12-2012, 07:49 PM
Banned

If you are just tethering him for 5 to 15 minutes or so and you just run in to check the stove, take a quick whizz or are watching from the dry warm house there should be no problem. I am assuming you have a good setup of course, then it's ok. Tethering a dog for long periods isn't a good idea though.
If you are out say working in the garden or on the car and you want him with you and you don't have the luxury of a fence it should be ok. You just need to keep monitoring him though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page