Yes, I think children should be allowed 33 41.77%
No, I don't think children should be allowed 11 13.92%
Perhaps they should be allowed but only at a certain age 38 48.10%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-05-2012, 04:11 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Field trip to high kill shelters

Would you allow your child to go on a Field Trip to a High Kill Shelter and why? What would you want them to learn from such a trip, or what would you want to protect them from if you decide against it? If you don't have children, do you think it's a good or bad idea? Do you think it should be based on the age, if so what age do you think it would be alright for the child to go?

I got this idea from another thread where a child went to a Shelter and was very upset by seeing the overcrowding that usually exists in such places.

Rosa

Mom to;
Shiloh, 8.5 year old LCGSD
Shoshona, 7.5 year old LCGSD
Eli, 5 year old LCGSD

Every dog deserves to have a human that thinks they are the greatest dog that ever lived!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-05-2012, 04:15 PM
Crowned Member

How old are the children? Younger elementary - no. I would take them myself so I make sure they don't see 'to much' but still understand. Older elementary (5th/6th grade) - yes. High school - most definitely.
post #3 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-05-2012, 04:30 PM
Crowned Member

This was my child

It was actually not a high kill shelter but dogs are euthanized there. This was a couple of years ago when she was in 6th grade. The class was working on a "awareness" project that included community service. I can't remember the details now. But at that time they just opened a new shelter in our area and the class was invited. I remember talking to her about what she could potentially see (at that time we did not have our dog, but she was use to being around her grandparents dogs) and her maturity level was so that we thought it was ok and she wanted to go.

Was it what she thought?? No and yes she was upset but she was NOT traumatized. It was the perfect time to have an honest discussion about the importance of pet ownership. She took the whole trip to heart and donated some of her allowance money a few weeks later..very proud of her!

My mom works with handicap adults & my kids have been exposed to adults with disabilities..we volunteered as a family for various things the "home" my mom works at puts on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-05-2012, 04:36 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Courtney View Post
This was my child

It was actually not a high kill shelter but dogs are euthanized there. This was a couple of years ago when she was in 6th grade. The class was working on a "awareness" project that included community service. I can't remember the details now. But at that time they just opened a new shelter in our area and the class was invited. I remember talking to her about what she could potentially see (at that time we did not have our dog, but she was use to being around her grandparents dogs) and her maturity level was so that we thought it was ok and she wanted to go.

Was it what she thought?? No and yes she was upset but she was NOT traumatized. It was the perfect time to have an honest discussion about the importance of pet ownership. She took the whole trip to heart and donated some of her allowance money a few weeks later..very proud of her!

My mom works with handicap adults & my kids have been exposed to adults with disabilities..we volunteered as a family for various things the "home" my mom works at puts on.

Yes, your post was the one that got me thinking about this. I was just wondering what other people thought about this. I think its very good idea. We have to start somewhere and I can't think of a better place to start (teaching kids about pet overpopulation and responsibility) than when they are young.

I agree with Jax in that there should be based on a child's age and not overexposing really young kids (kindergardners, 1st graders), but for those age groups it would be great if the shelters went to them and did little talks.

Rosa

Mom to;
Shiloh, 8.5 year old LCGSD
Shoshona, 7.5 year old LCGSD
Eli, 5 year old LCGSD

Every dog deserves to have a human that thinks they are the greatest dog that ever lived!
post #5 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-05-2012, 04:47 PM
Crowned Member

I voted no but more because of my lack of faith in the educational system to present it properly.

That being said I can't imagine a child would grow up in my home and not be aware of responsible pet ownership and that when we fail the dogs pay the price. They would also know the way around the local shelter pretty well just from trips with me.

I think it is an important part of a child's education but I would want to be the want to do the educating.

Betty

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-05-2012, 04:47 PM
Crowned Member

Honestly I think adults need to go on a field trip like that, they are the ones buying the animals then abandoning them, or over breeding them. I wouldn't let a child go unless they were old enough to understand why the dogs were there and why they needed to be put down so when they are older they won't make the same mistake and dump their animal.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-05-2012, 05:13 PM
Crowned Member

Absa-frickin-lutely. Everybody who ever considers owning a pet should have to visit a kill shelter. Not small children, but once they're 8 or 10 yes.

- 6 years

At the Bridge:
Cash Adopted 2007 - 7/28/2010

Rocky 4/19/2002 - 1/16/2015 to DM
post #8 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-05-2012, 07:11 PM

Well yes, for sure. Kill shelters do not promote the fact that they euthanize dogs to the public. They don't tell the kids that certain dogs have 24 hours left to live. They stress responsible ownership, spay and neuter, and adoption rather than buying from pet shops or byb. They are quite secretive about the actual killing of animals. (Based on the two county shelters I'm familiar with.)

Many children are not taught these things by their parents. If it happens that a couple kids get interested in helping homeless animals, they can volunteer at a shelter and feel like they are making a difference.
post #9 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-05-2012, 07:14 PM
Master Member

I think it's a great idea. So many young kids/teens/adults need this trip. So many people thinks its ok just to dump their dog off at a shelter. It's similar to a jail tour. HOPEFULLY, something will click. Unfortunately, this day in age its hard for anything to click into peoples brains!

Brody: GSD May 2010 Von der Sauk
Zella : Pitbull, July 2006
Fritzy: GSD February 2008
Pita: Cavalier July 2011
post #10 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-05-2012, 07:18 PM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syaoransbear View Post
Honestly I think adults need to go on a field trip like that, they are the ones buying the animals then abandoning them, or over breeding them. I wouldn't let a child go unless they were old enough to understand why the dogs were there and why they needed to be put down so when they are older they won't make the same mistake and dump their animal.
I agree100% with adults needing a field trip. When I worked at the humane society I would give tours to the volunteers to "Building B" where the public wasn't allowed. This is where strays were held, as well as rabies quarantines, and other dogs who were not available for adoption. Many, many people cried when they walked through.

Taking kids, sure as long as they're old enough...I don't think it does much good to send a kindergartener through there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page