Do you think an untrained GSD will protect you? - German Shepherd Dog Forums
View Poll Results: Do you believe an untrained GSD will protect you?
Yes I do believe an untrained GSD will protect me 49 77.78%
No I don't believe an untrained GSD will protect me 14 22.22%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 171 (permalink) Old 01-02-2012, 09:40 PM Thread Starter

Do you think an untrained GSD will protect you?

I have heard both, I personally think that an untrained GSD will protect you if you are in trouble. I am not saying that all GSD's have that protective instinct. All dogs are different. I also want to hear why or why not if you have the time. And of course you can tell of personal incidents where your dog has protected you.
BTW i am new and haven't quite figured out how to put the poll thing up so bare with me please.

Life without dogs would be life without friends. The world would be a much lonelier place.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 171 (permalink) Old 01-02-2012, 10:08 PM
Crowned Member

Not to sound like a Congressman, but it depends on your definition of "protect."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- 6 years

At the Bridge:
Cash Adopted 2007 - 7/28/2010
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Rocky 4/19/2002 - 1/16/2015 to DM
post #3 of 171 (permalink) Old 01-02-2012, 10:17 PM
Master Member

I would think it would also depend on the dog.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 171 (permalink) Old 01-02-2012, 10:24 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoore View Post
Not to sound like a Congressman, but it depends on your definition of "protect."
Yes, this.

Too many variables... At home? Yes, he will bark and look ferocious and if I didn't give him an "ok, thanks," the barking and posing would go on. Attack? No, I doubt that very, very much.
post #5 of 171 (permalink) Old 01-02-2012, 10:32 PM
Elite Member

Against an all out attack? No.
post #6 of 171 (permalink) Old 01-02-2012, 10:33 PM
Crowned Member

Depends on the individual dog. Some would, some won't.
post #7 of 171 (permalink) Old 01-02-2012, 10:34 PM
Crowned Member

If it's at night, absolutely. Daytime, probably not, but I haven't met any skeevy people in the daytime like I have at night.

post #8 of 171 (permalink) Old 01-02-2012, 10:52 PM
Crowned Member

The GSD I had growing up did. She had no formal training but was very protective. Granted I was a child and she was very motherly. I think it has to do with the dog and most importantly your bond with the dog.
post #9 of 171 (permalink) Old 01-02-2012, 11:32 PM

Hachi & Bella are both barkers not biters LOL

R.I.P "Warrior"

Died: Sept 8, 08
R.I.P "Hachi" (2011-2012)

R.I.P "Bellabug"

Died: October 14, 2014
post #10 of 171 (permalink) Old 01-02-2012, 11:45 PM
Master Member

I've found out recently, Sasha "protects" mostly out of fear so I question her willingness to take on a true attack if her barking and lunging doesn't work like she wants it to. Strangely enough though, I really believe that my Cattle Dog would defend me to the death. This is the same dog that got hit by a car and jumped up and "attacked" the number before realizing that she was kind of sore She doesn't back down from much and is my constant shadow.

Probably just depends on the dog as well as their stability and nerves. My friends GSD (5 y/o male), untrained in protection, has attacked an intruder but he is confident and stable. Sasha, not so much....

Do you think age has anything to do with it? Older dogs more likely to follow through on a threat because their possibly more confident?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page