Would you buy a pup you liked from a breeder you didn't? - German Shepherd Dog Forums
View Poll Results: Would you buy a puppy you really liked from a breeder you didn't?
Yes, I mostly care about the dog. The breeder is secondary 15 30.00%
No, I believe when you buy a dog, you buy the breeder. I wouldn't buy from one I didn't like. 35 70.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-19-2011, 10:22 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Would you buy a pup you liked from a breeder you didn't?

If a breeder who didn't meet your personal standards, whatever they may be, had a breeding with the bloodlines you wanted and a puppy you really liked, would you buy?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- 6 years

At the Bridge:
Cash Adopted 2007 - 7/28/2010
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Rocky 4/19/2002 - 1/16/2015 to DM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-19-2011, 10:26 AM
Crowned Member

No...because if you look especially if the bloodlines are popular you can always find someone who is breeding similar lines. I don't really care about all that BYB breeder stuff-more just a feel I get from someone. I don't feel like I have to always stay in contact with the breeder either just wouldn't want to buy a dog from someone I didn't like simple
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-19-2011, 10:29 AM

I voted yes, I'm going to live with that dog for the rest of it's life not the breeder (tho I have not ever bought a dog from a breeder I didn't like

Diane
Ozzie vom Kleinen Hain
Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
Tranquillo's Kizzy
Jakoda's Kholee
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
"Angel" Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-19-2011, 10:32 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

To clarify: I'm not talking about someone who abuses or neglects their dogs, just someone who doesn't meet your personal standards for a breeder.

- 6 years

At the Bridge:
Cash Adopted 2007 - 7/28/2010

Rocky 4/19/2002 - 1/16/2015 to DM
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-19-2011, 10:38 AM
Crowned Member

I voted no.

I if didn't like the breeder, I wouldn't even know if they had a puppy I really liked because I would never go to see the puppies in the first place.

There are some breeders I don't care for as human beings, either because of their nasty personalities, or their ethics. (or both!) They may have perfectly nice dogs, but I will NOT give them my money!

But don't feel that you are stuck to a breeder for the life of your dog either. When I but a puppy, it is MINE to do with as I see fit. I won't have a breeder trying to tell what to do and not do with said puppy.

I've never bred a litter and never will, but I breed horses and when I sell one, it is then up to the buyer to care for, use, and feed it as THEY see fit. It never crosses my mind to tell them what they can and can't do with it. If I thought they were going to mistreat it, I wouldn't sell it to them in the first place.

Tracy

Siren vom Banach { Sable female GSD 3-20-08}

R.I.P. Wrangler male ACD/Aussie mix. 9-29-99 to8-29-11.
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-19-2011, 10:44 AM
Master Member

I would go with a no. I have very high standards for what I expect from a breeder and I don't settle for less because I can always find better.

I want a breeder who socializes their puppies as much as possible so those puppies have the best possible chances at success. A breeder who fully health tests and titles their dogs to prove what they can do. While I do look at pedigrees and bloodlines, the immediate dog I am working with is important to me. Just because a female comes from great bloodlines doesn't mean she wasn't a wash out and is may very well produce more wash outs. I don't want an accidentally turned out nice dog. I want a dog that proves through generations and immediate family that they can, will, and do excel in the things I want out of my dog and they have the health and structure to bring them through it.

If I didn't like a breeder personally, to me its asking for problems. Especially if the breeder knows it or doesn't like me back. Whose to say they would give me the dog I wanted? Or if they didn't follow through on a replacement of a puppy if something happened. Not to mention being in the dog world is about making contacts, learning through each other etc. If I can't talk bloodlines and training and find out what their immediate lines are like and what to expect in a friendly manner then I'm not going to get much out of it.

I like to have long intellectual conversations about lines and what theirs specifically produce and the different ways each puppy from each litter has turned out thus far.

I can't do that if I don't like them, or they don't like me.

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older and more complete than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear."
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-19-2011, 10:44 AM
Crowned Member

Emoore....this is a question that has much controversy.
*It would totally depend on the person buying..(I think).*
IF the person has enough knowledge about specific lines, temperament and health regarding those lines and is completely willing to take the chance (knowing that breeder support is questionable)...then, they can take such a risk......I have.
BUT....for the person who has limited experience...then they should absolutely connect with their potential breeder.....
*It is a very important decision.....*

Huerta Hof German Shepherds

....where breeding is still considered an art....
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-19-2011, 10:52 AM

just to add I agree with Robin)

Diane
Ozzie vom Kleinen Hain
Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
Tranquillo's Kizzy
Jakoda's Kholee
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
"Angel" Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-19-2011, 11:11 AM

It would depend a lot on my reasons for not liking them, to be honest.
If I just didn't like the breeder's personality or attitude in general, as in they're just a rhymes-with-punt but this had little to nothing to do with their knowledge or dedication to the breed, the care of their dogs or whatever support they intended to provide for the life of the puppy, then I would probably still get a puppy from them, if it was everything I wanted: personality, lines, potential.

But if I disagreed with their ethics, the way they operate their kennel or the care of their dogs, if I knew they were the type to mail out their dogs to have them come back as 'paper champs' (titles on paper for dogs with shoddy or no working ability), then as I would not support a business with questionable ethics and practices, I would do the same for this breeder and their kennel, no matter how nice the dogs were.

SG2 CAC Discoe vom haus Huro, BH, AD, CD, TDI, CGC-A, CGC, HOT, OFA-Excellent, CERF

RIP Reba von Treue Freundschaft, CGC, TDI
May 11, 2005 - May 23, 2013
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-19-2011, 11:13 AM
Crowned Member

I agree with Robin too.

I have plenty of experience, I've had GSDs for over 30 years. The best dogs I've had are the ones I have chosen for myself rather than bring chosen FOR me. I don't need a breeder that is there waiting, ready and willing to help with any silly question I may have. (But for a newbie, this can be VERY important.)

Tracy

Siren vom Banach { Sable female GSD 3-20-08}

R.I.P. Wrangler male ACD/Aussie mix. 9-29-99 to8-29-11.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page