German Shepherds Forum banner

What is your dogs favorite tug material?

• Leather

Votes: 3 12.5%
  • French Linen/Bite suit material

Votes: 2 8.3%
  • Jute

Votes: 6 25.0%
  • Fire hose

Votes: 1 4.2%
  • Other - please explain

Votes: 12 50.0%

What is your (your dogs) favorite tug material?

4K views 22 replies 19 participants last post by  SammieGSD 
#1 ·
Just curious as to what type of tug material your dog prefers?

Zefra really doesn't care what it is as long as she can bite it, but I have noticed she is a little extra "zingy" for her leather tug than the others.

Stark really loves his french linen tug, and could care less about the others, especially the leather ones.

So, what's your dogs favorite?

#4 ·
I voted OTHER, she will tug on ANYTHING.

#5 ·
Funny thing is, she locks on to that puppy sleeve like there is no tomorrow and yet I have never tried the jute tugs. I am placing an order this week for a jute tug just to see how she takes to it, might try one out at training on Sunday to see before hand though.

#6 ·
I recently found this fleece tug with rabbit fur braided in. I was leery of fleece thinking that she'd tear it up really quick, but it seems to be holding together just fine. And the scent of the rabbit fur definitely adds to the tug drive (which I can only imagine would be a prey drive at that point). All I know is my girl tugs on this unlike anything else I've tried:

Clean Run: Bunny Braided Fleece Tug Dog Toys

(So I voted 'other'. If I didn't have this tug, my girl prefers jute over fire hose. I have not yet tried french linen or leather.)

#8 ·
Willy, I make my own fleece tugs like that all the time for the dogs! They love them but Stark manages to shred them. I have started using cotton in the same way though which seems to last longer.

BTW - LOVE cleanrun! ;)

#9 ·
They love them but Stark manages to shred them.
While tugging? I definitely agree that if used as a chew toy- they have little to no lifespan. But I use mine ONLY for tugging, and ONLY while working/practicing. I'm trying to make it that "crazy special ultra awesome toy" that comes out only for awesomeness.

And yeah- cleanrun has gotten a LOT of my money. I did buy my jute tug through them as well, which was Pimg's favorite before the rabbit fur came along.

Lastly- I'd be interested in a "how-to" for making fleece tugs. Specifically in creating the loop. Perhaps you could create a new thread for it?

#11 ·
Willy, not sure how he shreds them, but yes, even just playing tug. I think it is because he is mouthy on tugs? Who knows!

I will definitely do a "how to" once life settles a bit for me, working 10-12 hour shifts 6-7 days per week right now. Plus training ALL DAY on the ones I have off or after hours with the dogs... lol.

#17 ·
Kaylee will tug on rope or rubber tugs, but reluctantly. She likes jute pretty well. Her favorites though are braided fleece or suede. I think the suede ones I bought as puppy tugs. She's not interested in regular leather or fire hose.

My rescue boy does not yet tug with me. It makes him nervous. he does sometimes tug with Kaylee, though.

#18 ·
Kacie tugs but not with oomph. Onyx won't tug at all. Karlo tugs with just about anything, but his favorite is the french linen two handle, that gets him going more than a ball on a string or jute. He wrenches my shoulder and neck big time!
I have several different tugs, the fleece braided rope is another favorite and lasts pretty long. I don't use it for training though.
My dogs will shred stuffies, but the fleece ropes made by the local SPCA volunteers last.

#19 ·
I voted other, because Masi will tug on ANYTHING you put in front of her,,she LOVES to tug,,thank god she has a good "out" because she could jerk a person's arm out of the socket:))

#21 ·
The least favorite of my dogs is the firehose kind of tug. It's too hard, they prefer something they can sink their teeth into. I had linen tugs that they both liked, but Halo managed to kill it the second time we used it with her. we replaced those with leather, which they both like. I use braided fleece in flyball and Halo goes nuts for it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.