Boarding kennel- cage free or not? - German Shepherd Dog Forums
View Poll Results: Cage free, in home or kennel boarding?
Cage Free 4 15.38%
In Home 5 19.23%
Kennel/ Run 17 65.38%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-08-2011, 12:55 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Boarding kennel- cage free or not?

If you had to take your dog to a boarding kennel- or when you take your dog to a kennel- do you prefer in home, cage free or a kennel with a run?

by in home I mean your dog living with other dogs in a person's home. (5 or so dogs)

By cage free I mean a doggie daycare type situation, with the dogs in crates at night and playing together during the day. (10-15 dogs)

By kennel with a run I mean a floor-to-ceiling kennel with a door into an individual run (actually big enough to play in) and they can play with other dogs (no more than 3 strangers together) IF they are well socialized/trained, supervised for 20 minutes or so 2-3 times per day. (we have a max. of 5 dogs at a time)

We own a boarding kennel like the last example (kennel w/ runs) and there are tons of the in home and cage free places popping up- we're wondering what people in general prefer. (we're not changing- don't feel the alternatives are safe but we're curious!)

Last edited by King&Skylar; 11-08-2011 at 12:57 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-08-2011, 01:06 PM
DnP
Elite Member

I prefer the cage free kennel. In fact, that is the last kennel I took Phoenix to and he LOVED it. He is a super social dog and was quite the happy camper when we picked him up. Sadly that kennel will not be open over New Years this year and we will be headed down to visit friends in TX.

I've had to bite the bullet and find a new place for him. It is a typical kennel facility w/ individual kennels and no play time/interaction with other dogs. I checked out another four facilities until I settled on this one. All four operated the same way with the facility I chose being the smallest and most friendly w/ Phoenix. (I took him along for the staff to meet him at each facility)

Diana

Bentley - the light that brought me out of the darkness

RIP Phoenix, Brightstar Rescue, 2006 - 5/6/2017
RIP Dakota 1/5/93 - 10/23/2006
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-08-2011, 01:14 PM
Master Member

I prefer the kennel with a run mainly because my dogs are not particularly social and wouldn't do well with dogs that they don't know and I have a hard time leaving them as it is

However, I worked for many years at a cage-free boarding facility and it was incredible. My older dogs were boarded there because they got along well with other dogs and I trusted the owner (my boss) deeply. I do agree with you though that the situation can be unsafe if the employees are not "with it," or the dogs are stressed out by strange dogs.

Different strokes for different folks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-08-2011, 01:16 PM
Knighted Member

I chose "in home" for my personal dog. Like have a friend come over, that my dog likes and has a good relationship with.
That's only because she's got health issues that I wouldn't want to cause extra stress and stimulation (seizures) and that the meds are given correctly.
The other dog, she's sociopathic and will adapt anywhere.

Ironically, I work for a cageless facility and it's owned by a behaviorist. So, while my dog has spent the night there with me before and used to LOVE going there to play...it's a lot of activity for her.
We do give dogs "days off" some dogs are modified to come on later, etc.
I'd say if you had a 'group/pack' setting like you said "a lot of these cageless places are springing up" how are the dogs evalutated? Are they tossed on the floor at anytime of day? (it's not "just like the dogpark") How are they run, how clean are they? And, most importantly what is the experience of the people running it.
Some of these places have no basic clue of dog behavior and have a young person tossing tennis balls around. Those places tend to create a sense of competition for the dogs.
I saw one place that actually offered aromatherapy for dogs. I mean what is that? Essence of cow manure to roll in? They are dogs I mean.
*wink*
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-08-2011, 01:25 PM
Elite Member

Since I own a place that is a daycare/boarding facility I'm biased . I will say though, that not all dogs thrive in an environment like ours. We have the dogs out playing all morning, then crated for a nap at lunch, then out playing all afternoon. Certain dogs do not love this type of environment which is why we require all dogs to attend a a day of daycare first to make sure they don't have issues. There are quite a few dogs that I recommend stay at a more traditional facility, their vet's or do in-home care. I think the best place for the dog is where they will be most comfortable.

Annette

Last edited by bocron; 11-08-2011 at 01:34 PM.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-08-2011, 01:27 PM
Crowned Member

My friend boards my dogs. She has a small farm. Her "kennel" is located in the basement of her home which is a walk-out basement, so the dogs are released directly into the yard which is double-fenced. She has three runs in the basement. I generally reserve two and let her rotate which dog has a buddy when I board three dogs. My three dogs are always outside together but not with her own dogs or any other boarding dogs (her rules and mine). She lets them out to potty several times a day and gets up at night. I do not bring my dogs to any boarder or facility where they would have to eliminate in a kennel or run. If the weather is nice she lets my dogs play outside for hours. She will also play fetch with them. All I ask is that the dogs are kept safe and secure. She feeds them my kibble and occasionally marrow bones, but she keeps them separated for marrow bones.

I personally would not allow my dogs to go to a "cageless" facility or any caged facility where they would have to pee or poop in their run.

My boarder has an LLC with proper insurance. She knows pet first aid, pet CPR, and is an APDT certified trainer.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-08-2011, 01:48 PM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liesje View Post
My friend boards my dogs. She has a small farm. Her "kennel" is located in the basement of her home which is a walk-out basement, so the dogs are released directly into the yard which is double-fenced. She has three runs in the basement. I generally reserve two and let her rotate which dog has a buddy when I board three dogs. My three dogs are always outside together but not with her own dogs or any other boarding dogs (her rules and mine). She lets them out to potty several times a day and gets up at night. I do not bring my dogs to any boarder or facility where they would have to eliminate in a kennel or run. If the weather is nice she lets my dogs play outside for hours. She will also play fetch with them. All I ask is that the dogs are kept safe and secure. She feeds them my kibble and occasionally marrow bones, but she keeps them separated for marrow bones.

I personally would not allow my dogs to go to a "cageless" facility or any caged facility where they would have to pee or poop in their run.

My boarder has an LLC with proper insurance. She knows pet first aid, pet CPR, and is an APDT certified trainer.

Now THATS the way to go!

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older and more complete than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear."
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-08-2011, 02:52 PM
Crowned Member

I have what I feel to be the perfect setup. A young friend of the family (20 years old) just comes and lives at my house when I have to go somewhere. He's in school and lives at home, so he's happy for the chance to get out of his parents' house for a few days. My dogs love and trust him and he loves them and takes good care of them. I pay him what I'd pay a boarding kennel, and in addition to taking care of my dogs he gets the mail, brings in the paper, sleeps in the guest room, and generally keeps a "presence" in my house when we're not there. I really really love this setup.

If I didn't have that, I'd use a kennel with runs. I would NOT use a cage free/doggy daycare type setup. I don't want my dog socializing with strange dogs when I'm not around to supervise.

Edit: I voted wrong. I voted for "in home" thinking it meant in my home.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- 6 years

At the Bridge:
Cash Adopted 2007 - 7/28/2010
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Rocky 4/19/2002 - 1/16/2015 to DM
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-08-2011, 02:52 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bocron View Post
We have the dogs out playing all morning, then crated for a nap at lunch, then out playing all afternoon.

This is what the place I took Skylar to for training was like for boarding- I like that kind of place for some dogs, because they do get along great and the staff knows what they're doing.

It's the places that have 3+ acres of fenced land for the dogs to tear around on, no breaks or a pre stay temperament testing that are popping up around here- and they advertise as "save your dog from the kennel, cage free boarding" and the owners don't much have experience/ training.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-08-2011, 02:55 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liesje View Post

That is a great setup!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page