Would you want to know? - German Shepherd Dog Forums
View Poll Results: Would you want to know?
Yes I would want to know. 50 56.82%
No, I'd want them to wait until I got home. 38 43.18%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 64 (permalink) Old 11-08-2011, 10:04 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Would you want to know?

Say you and your spouse/partner planned a really fabulous trip, maybe for your anniversary. You'd worked and saved your money to plan just the perfect vacation and it was out of the country in a resort or on a cruise ship. You've already bought your plane tickets home. You've left your dog(s) in a boarding kennel or with a sitter and --God forbid-- your dog passes away while you're on your dream vacation.

Would you want to know, even though it would ruin the rest of your trip and you couldn't get back home? Or would you rather they wait to tell you until you get back?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- 6 years

At the Bridge:
Cash Adopted 2007 - 7/28/2010
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Rocky 4/19/2002 - 1/16/2015 to DM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 64 (permalink) Old 11-08-2011, 10:06 AM
Crowned Member

Most certainly.

Honestly though- with the number of people on this forum that wouldn't even sell their dog for the world, I would be surprised if you get many NO votes at all...

Willy
RATCHX3 High Jinks vom Neuanfang - Gotchya Day: 1/23/2013 DN, SG, SR, CA
Inspire Spark to Ignition! (Ignite) Gotchya Day: 10/8/2016
C-ATCH Pimg - RATO, UJJ (x2), DJX, HIT, CA, CGC, High in Games, Reserve High in Standard- CPE Nationals 2014
post #3 of 64 (permalink) Old 11-08-2011, 10:09 AM
Master Member

I would probably call everyday to check up on him, so no I wouldn't want them to lie to me and say he's fine when really he died 3 days ago.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 64 (permalink) Old 11-08-2011, 10:14 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greydusk View Post
I would probably call everyday to check up on him, so no I wouldn't want them to lie to me and say he's fine when really he died 3 days ago.
This is exactly what I would do and I would want to know asap.

Lauren

Sinister ~ black male GSD 3.11.09
post #5 of 64 (permalink) Old 11-08-2011, 10:16 AM

I honestly think I'd rather be told when I get home. I think the only thing more devestating than losing someone is receiving the news over the phone and not being able to do anything about it or to even get home.
post #6 of 64 (permalink) Old 11-08-2011, 10:17 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildo View Post
Most certainly.

Honestly though- with the number of people on this forum that wouldn't even sell their dog for the world, I would be surprised if you get many NO votes at all...
Wow... 50% said no at 8 votes. I'm floored!

Willy
RATCHX3 High Jinks vom Neuanfang - Gotchya Day: 1/23/2013 DN, SG, SR, CA
Inspire Spark to Ignition! (Ignite) Gotchya Day: 10/8/2016
C-ATCH Pimg - RATO, UJJ (x2), DJX, HIT, CA, CGC, High in Games, Reserve High in Standard- CPE Nationals 2014
post #7 of 64 (permalink) Old 11-08-2011, 10:17 AM
Knighted Member

I voted no.

There is nothing I can do about it. I would have left an emergency contact with a very capable person and this person would know that I would not want to know until I returned.
post #8 of 64 (permalink) Old 11-08-2011, 10:19 AM
Crowned Member

It would depend on who was caring for my animal (s). If I'd hired a professional (boarding, vet etc.) then I should be contacted the moment it happened.

If it was a close family friend, or even family, I'd let them do what they were comfortable with. For instance, if it was my mother, I know she'd be all emotional and upset. She would want to tell me face to face.

However, if there were to be any questions regarding disposal of the body, then I'd take the responsiblity to decide what to do with the remains. I wouldn't want a neighbor without any large animal experiance having to deal with how to dispose of a large animal.

I guess it really depends on the situation and the person. I was out of town at a horse show one time, when I got home my husband told me about one of our dogs that had died. He didn't seem to feel the need to upset me while I was on the road. I could understand where he was coming from.

Hondo Von Dopplet L Bauernhof "Hondo"- GSD
Lilie's Tug McGraw "Tug" - Golden Retriever
Maggie - Mini Dachshund (Rescue)
Lonestar Pivo - Texas Blue Lacy
Ashe - Barn Cat
Katie / APHA
post #9 of 64 (permalink) Old 11-08-2011, 10:21 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

I honestly don't know, but I'm leaning towards no. I wouldn't sell my dog for $10,000 either, but if I were on a cruise ship or in a hotel halfway across the world with no way to get home and nothing I could do. . . . I honestly don't know if I'd want to know.

- 6 years

At the Bridge:
Cash Adopted 2007 - 7/28/2010

Rocky 4/19/2002 - 1/16/2015 to DM
post #10 of 64 (permalink) Old 11-08-2011, 10:21 AM
Knighted Member

Although it would be in my best intrest not to know, I want to know.
This is one of the reasons I really don't want to go away right now, 2 of my dogs are seniors.

Carolyn
Lakota - WGSD 1/13/10
Wolfen - WGSD 12/31/14
Bull -WGSD 2-10-10
💔
Apache - Shiloh Shepherd 12/15/02 - 6/9/15
Kiya - Shiloh Shepherd 5/15/04 -12/19/25
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page