Leave out or crate? - German Shepherd Dog Forums
View Poll Results: trust her or crate her?
Trust her and stop being so paranoid 15 51.72%
crate her and be absolutely sure nothing can happen 14 48.28%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-30-2011, 05:47 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Leave out or crate?

So for awhile now (a few months) Jinx has been getting left out while I go shopping and of course has been out for months at night. I'm normally gone no less then an hour and haven't been gone for more then 3 yet however tomorrow I have training for a new job and will be gone from 11-5. The times she has been left out there have been cookies on the counter, left over hamhocks and other goodies in the trash, and various other things and she has never gotten into any of them and never gets up on the counter for stuff no matter if I'm here or not. I don't think I have anything to worry about but nervous mommy mode has kicked in being gone for that long and debating crating her or just leaving her out. Any opinions from people here?

Jinx vom Wildhaus
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-30-2011, 05:57 PM
Knighted Member

I would probably try her, but I would make sure I checked as thoroughly as I could that there was nothing life-threatening she could get into. Or can you come back for lunch? Can someone else come halfway and check on her?
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-30-2011, 06:04 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

unfortunately it's only hubby and I and hes in Iraq so it's just me and I won't get a lunch break I'll be in training the entire time. When I actually leave there is nothing life threatening out maybe some cookies and butter on the counter but thats it and while I highly doubt she would get them (she has NEVER been a counter surfer) if she by some chance did I wouldn't be angry because I did leave them there. The hamhocks in the trash were overnight not while I was gone and generally if she gets off the bed I wake up because I'm a light sleeper and tomorrow is trash day so there will be no trash and there is nothing left on the counters (theres a stick of butter on a plate but thats up even higher on the microwave) so theres really nothing for her to get into and she has her toys all over the place. My thing is she has been left for 3 hours and absolutely nothing normally she lays on the living room floor and doesn't move til I come back (I've videod it) the last time I left I know she moved because there was a carebear on my bed so I'm sure she went back there and took a nap with it (she likes to sleep with them) Personally I doubt she will do anything because she has always been good about not getting into stuff and even as a 10 wk old puppy she never put her mouth on anything that wasn't hers (shoes cords furniture etc...) but paranoid mommy mode kicks in and worries about who knows what.

Jinx vom Wildhaus
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-30-2011, 06:15 PM
Banned

ok, so you're going to leave her out. make sure she
can't get anything off the counter. when i first started leaving my dog
out of the crate i did it gradually. he was always out of the crate when i
was home except for when we went to bed. in the begining
i would leave my dog out of the crate for 5 to 10 minutes while
i left the house. 5 to 10 minutes turned into a 1/2 hour
and a 1/2 hour turned into 45 minutes and so.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-30-2011, 06:24 PM

My dog was great as well, so at about 7 months we let him have the house to himself. Things went great except for the occassional paper he would tear apart. Then my daughter and I were off for the summer, and when we returned to school he started being destructive. Now we gate him in the mud room. We can't even leave him his dog bed as he is tearing that up. Just a warning that even though they were good, maybe the teenage years cause some misbehaving.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-30-2011, 06:32 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

doggiedad I don't think your understanding me. She is always out when I'm home now and out while I sleep. She's out whie I run all my errands and go grocery shopping etc.. She hasn't been in her crate at all for a few months now (occassionally at night she'll go in willingly but its open) She has been left alone for up to 3 hours numerous 1-2 hour trips etc.. and we did start off doing short trips and then gradually making them longer. However this is going from 3 hours to 6 which is why I'm questioning it but I'm thinking if she's good for 3 hours nothing will change at 6 that she wouldn't do in the first 6 (so I'm hoping).. not sure why you haven't read the fact that she has been left alone for hours and its not that I'm just leaving for 6 hours and expecting her to be good.

Jinx vom Wildhaus
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-30-2011, 08:00 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holmeshx2 View Post
doggiedad I don't think your understanding me. She is always out when I'm home now and out while I sleep. She's out whie I run all my errands and go grocery shopping etc.. She hasn't been in her crate at all for a few months now (occassionally at night she'll go in willingly but its open) She has been left alone for up to 3 hours numerous 1-2 hour trips etc.. and we did start off doing short trips and then gradually making them longer. However this is going from 3 hours to 6 which is why I'm questioning it but I'm thinking if she's good for 3 hours nothing will change at 6 that she wouldn't do in the first 6 (so I'm hoping).. not sure why you haven't read the fact that she has been left alone for hours and its not that I'm just leaving for 6 hours and expecting her to be good.
I'm going to be dealing / trying this soon. Is there any way, maybe on weekends, that you could test the theory and go 4.5 hours? Not sure where you'd go that long but you could do a whole lot of shopping? Maybe you could try that a couple of times. ??
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-30-2011, 08:03 PM
Crowned Member

I would put the cookies and butter away and see what happens. I've had dogs who were reliable from a young age. I've also had relapses but you'll never know until you try.

I do agree to triple check to make sure there is nothing harmful for her to get into.

Ruth & the 4 Legged Rescue Gang

Rafi the malaroo

Gio & Varda, the krazy kittens
....In my heart:
Cleo Kitty
Chama
Kai
Basu
Massie
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-30-2011, 08:19 PM

Just make sure you exercise the dog before you leave.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-30-2011, 08:24 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

chelle thats not a bad idea but my only question is what in the world would change after so many hours that a few more would change besides not going potty but thats not a concern of mine really.

I would definitely make sure nothing was out except for her toys. I probably wont make my decision until right before I leave but she eats dinner at night so it's not like she'll have a bunch of food in her tummy making her have to go potty and thankfully it's at 11 so I have plenty of time to run her some in the morning and tire her out. I think I'm leaning a bit more towards leaving her out. She hasn't been forced to be in her crate for months (once or twice while having the doors open bringing furniture in) and I have to admit part of me feels kind of bad throwing her in her crate for that long even though I'm sure she would settle in and sleep the entire time anyways I just feel bad she earned her freedom up to this point and then taking it away from her without her doing anything to break the trust she has earned. Also, no matter what happens if she does something I wouldn't get upset because I know I'm taking a risk leaving her out it would just mean next time she gets crated.

Jinx vom Wildhaus
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page