Are you active in dog sports? - German Shepherd Dog Forums
View Poll Results: What dog sport(s) are you active in?
Obedience 36 58.06%
Rally 19 30.65%
Tracking 16 25.81%
Agility 20 32.26%
Conformation 11 17.74%
Flyball 4 6.45%
Dock Diving 5 8.06%
Schutzhund 27 43.55%
French Ring 1 1.61%
Other 20 32.26%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-04-2011, 10:14 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Are you active in dog sports?

I am curious how many people on this forum are active in specific dog sports. I would say that one does not need to be competing in order to be classified as active- but I would hope that one is at least in a weekly class to be considered active. I would also think that if one is competing but not taking classes- they are also active in the sport.

Note- This poll is geared to dog sports and as such I did not include the working occupations like police K9 and S&R.

Willy
RATCHX3 High Jinks vom Neuanfang - Gotchya Day: 1/23/2013 DN, SG, SR, CA
Inspire Spark to Ignition! (Ignite) Gotchya Day: 10/8/2016
C-ATCH Pimg - RATO, UJJ (x2), DJX, HIT, CA, CGC, High in Games, Reserve High in Standard- CPE Nationals 2014

Last edited by wildo; 10-04-2011 at 10:17 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-04-2011, 10:17 AM
Crowned Member

I do agility with Kopper and we're on the wait list for rally.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- 6 years

At the Bridge:
Cash Adopted 2007 - 7/28/2010
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Rocky 4/19/2002 - 1/16/2015 to DM
post #3 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-04-2011, 10:19 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

You know Emoore that I'm going to use this list to see how many people we should see posting regularly in the Agility forum! You have been marked! lol

Willy
C-ATCH Pimg - RATO, UJJ (x2), DJX, HIT, CA, CGC, High in Games, Reserve High in Standard- CPE Nationals 2014
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-04-2011, 10:22 AM
Crowned Member

We're just baby beginners. I lurk, but most of the time I don't even know what you guys are talking about. Handling systems, running contacts, 2 on /2 off. . . I have no idea what that means. I just go to class and play agility.

- 6 years

At the Bridge:
Cash Adopted 2007 - 7/28/2010

Rocky 4/19/2002 - 1/16/2015 to DM
post #5 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-04-2011, 10:25 AM
Crowned Member

Currently Nikon and Pan both do Schutzhund and SDA (each have three phases) weekly, SDA on Thursday and Schutzhund on Sunday plus we meet once a week with friends in town. Pan is starting a 6-week obedience class tomorrow. We dock dive and do agility in the late spring and summer so not right now (outdoor facilities so we can't do it when it's cold and when it gets dark so early). Because SDA and SchH are time consuming right now I only do agility for fun and do no compete. I lure course (trial) whenever it is available but do not train for this. We also go herding each summer but are wait-listed for lessons.
post #6 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-04-2011, 10:32 AM
Elite Member

I got Saber mainly as a pet but wanted to try a few things, but I am hooked and LOVE dog sports! She is 11 months old. We started tracking at 14 weeks, entered competition Novice obedience classes just before she was 5 months and will trial in the spring, and started dock diving this spring with our new DockDogs club (we practice several times a week and went to the fair this summer too!) We have done one puppy agility class and will try another next year, and we are in nosework classes right now. I have my eye on herding and treibball for spring too! It is all so fun and Saber loves everything we do together!

Shawn
Mom to five kids and
"Saber" Jette vom Wildhaus BN RN CAX JJ-N HIC CGC
Kira vom Snoozhaus ZZZ CGC!!!

Saber's Blog:
post #7 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-04-2011, 10:42 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoore View Post
We're just baby beginners. I lurk, but most of the time I don't even know what you guys are talking about. Handling systems, running contacts, 2 on /2 off. . . I have no idea what that means. I just go to class and play agility.
I don't bite! You should definitely pop in and ask if you don't know. You know I've only been doing this for 8 or 9 months- so I'm hardly an expert. But even in the short time I've been doing it, my understanding has grown immensely and some of the things that my instructors told me that I didn't understand- I get them now. Sometimes I wish I could go back and learn a ton about agility prior to starting to train it. Wow- training would go a LOT different if you knew anything about the sport prior to training it! But you know, we all live and learn.

Willy
post #8 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-04-2011, 10:48 AM
Master Member

Frank and I do Obedience and Rally, I'm hoping and planning to try and go all the way to OTCH.

frank(Rosehall's Duke of Hearts CD, BN, RN) gsd
indy (Indy Bluestorm CD, GN, RN,CGC) BC
king bc mix
Rowdy (MyHearts Red Treasure) Australian Shepherd
post #9 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-04-2011, 10:48 AM
Crowned Member

I only checked Rally, Obedience and Conformation.

I used to do tracking with all my dogs, until I got infested with ticks one spring.

I also used to do agility with Doerak, but my two Belgians don't do agility for different reasons. Boaz will do agility as soon as I get in better shape. DOH! Well, at least we are in classes for it.
post #10 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-04-2011, 10:49 AM

Not as much as I want to be. Both mine have taken classes in K9 Nose Work (which isn't on your list) and my plans were to trial them but we're having to skip the next session because I'd have to miss half the classes which sets us back. I may also have to find somewhere else to train since the upper level classes are only offered Monday mornings.

I wanted to do others and keep K in Agility but there's never enough time and money.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page