Who goes bike riding with their dogs? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-28-2011, 11:56 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Who goes bike riding with their dogs?

It's so much fun to bike ride with Indra. So much energy, she's a puller.

Who else is bikeriding with their dog?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-28-2011, 12:05 PM
Banned

I have considered it but if Abby saw a squirrel ......
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-28-2011, 12:13 PM
Knighted Member

I started riding the bike with my dogs back in 2006. Believe it or not all 3 are pretty good together. Since the ticks are so bad, I have been staying out of the trails and walking the roads instead. As soon as we get a frost we'll be back on the trails with the bike, give my poor knee a break.

Carolyn
Lakota - WGSD 1/13/10
Wolfen - WGSD 12/31/14
Bull -WGSD 2-10-10
💔
Apache - Shiloh Shepherd 12/15/02 - 6/9/15
Kiya - Shiloh Shepherd 5/15/04 -12/19/25

Last edited by kiya; 11-29-2012 at 10:16 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-28-2011, 12:17 PM
Elite Member

Sasha loves it when we go bike riding! It's the only time she gets to jog since her mamma can't jog or run. Now that it's finally getting cool I anticipate a daily bike ride will be happening.

PaddyD: You may be surprised. Sasha is always really interested in other critters when we walk, but so far (knock on wood) she doesn't seem phased by them when we're riding. I use a prong when we bike ride to give me a little bit better control of getting her attention if need be, but so far I've never had to. When we first started she did try to cut in front of the bike once or twice, but I now use a shorter leash and all is fine

~Sasha~{GSD}~ 3ish~Gotcha day January, 29, 2011
~Monte~{Golden Retriever}~ (RIP)~ 1997-2009

post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-28-2011, 12:27 PM
Elite Member

I don't....but just mentioned to my husband I would love to. Our GSD is old and arthritic, so he much prefers to leisurely walk through the neighborhood. We have a 6 month (70lb) GSD/English Mastiff that we adopted through a rescue (huge foster failure ) that I would love to train w/a bike. Any suggestions on how to start?
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-28-2011, 12:30 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysweetkaos View Post
I don't....but just mentioned to my husband I would love to. Our GSD is old and arthritic, so he much prefers to leisurely walk through the neighborhood. We have a 6 month (70lb) GSD/English Mastiff that we adopted through a rescue (huge foster failure ) that I would love to train w/a bike. Any suggestions on how to start?
With Sasha I started with just walking her while holding onto the bike for a little bit (as she was a little apprehensive about the bike). Then I rode it around my place only at first, so that it was some place she was used to, and she just took to it and now we can ride anywhere. Well...anywhere there aren't big hills...one of us, the non-furry part of this duo, is a little out of shape

post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-28-2011, 12:45 PM
Elite Member

What age did you start?
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-28-2011, 12:48 PM
Elite Member

Well I didn't get Sasha as a pup, so she was two when we started, but she had had no real training, other than the crate training her foster parents worked on with her, so it was kind of like having a larger, maybe slightly less crazy, puppy.

post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-28-2011, 12:55 PM
Elite Member

Thank you for the info. I look forward to trying him out. I would like to get him familiar with the bike now while he is still on the smaller side But to avoid injury we will have to take it real easy until he is older.....although I am a bit out of practice so it is probably better to start real slow!!
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-28-2011, 12:55 PM
Knighted Member

I do and I love it, and so does she. Use a springer bike attachment and yes it does work if the dog darts after a rabbit. I'm getting better at scouting the area and give a leave it command.

We do 3 - 5 km, mostly on pavement. I keep the speed anywhere between 10 km and 15 km/hour always ensuring she is at a trott and comfortable. If my husband joins me and he is too far out in front she will speed up and will actually pull the bike. This could be handy, but I discourage it and tell her "slow".

I've done rail trails with her and that was 5 km. Now the cooler weather is here I think she could do more and will be doing this in a few weekends from now. There is a 20km endurance test for dogs (forget name). I've read the rules and they travel at 10 km/hour, but you have to hold the leash. After 6 Km you take a 15 min rest, another 5 or 6 km, another 15 min rest. I'll work up to this.

The big fear that I have will doing this with the springer is that if we are attacked by an offleash dog, she is attached to the bike and she will defend herself. This is why I like going with my husband so he can ride just slightly ahead and block any dog who may lunge or try to approach. I also have her hooked up to the springer with a clip that I could quickly unhook. I even bought a woman's geeky low entry bike so I could dismount faster if I needed to do this.

Biking with my dog is my favourite activity.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page