Does it matter to you?.... - German Shepherd Dog Forums
View Poll Results: Does it matter to you?
Yes, it is important to me, I believe my dog would stand his/her ground against an attacker or intruder. 9 25.00%
Yes, my dog barks well, and that is enough for me. 13 36.11%
Yes it is important, but I don't really care how my dog would react. 0 0%
Maybe, I have never really thought about it. 0 0%
No, if my dog barks and intercepts a bad guy great! if not...oh well. 7 19.44%
Not at all....my dog is my pet and companion, it is my job to protect him/her. 7 19.44%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-03-2011, 07:38 AM Thread Starter

Does it matter to you?....

.....if your dog barks at potential threats that enter your property?... or if your dog barks at a potential threat approaching your car...would your dog react towards a person threatening you?

Some dogs bark and do their job, some are more serious and would probably react. I have had Shepherds on both ends of the scale....some may freak out at the prospect of a threat, some bark, and that is probably all they would do faced with the reality of an imposter, and some in all seriousness make you feel safe, those of you that have had one of these dogs would know what I mean.

I am not talking about trained personal protection dogs or anything of the like, just our pets...I simply mean genetically speaking the dog is civil, suspicious and level headed, the kind of dog that does not trust easy and is aloof. Does it matter to you?....maybe ppl that have had home invasions or been attacked on the street, it might matter to them....or maybe some ppl never really think about it, and just the presence of their dog would probably be enough. Interested in your thoughts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-03-2011, 07:57 AM
Banned

my last GSD was protective with a little
help from training. the dog i have now is a cuddle
bear (because of the way he was trained and socialized). i don't depend on or expect any type of protection from him. i protect him.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-03-2011, 08:07 AM

I can't really 'vote' because none of the above really apply to me.

In the car, Masi is quiet as a church mouse, but a stranger touching the car or trying to get in it, all bets are off.

Stranger comes to my house, again, quiet, alert, watchful, will react off my que, and has never had a problem letting a stranger IN when I am present.

Out in public, again, alert/watchful/I would say suspicious of strangers, I've never been in a situation where I've need 'protection' so I couldn't say how she'd react to a threat, but I think I know.

I would say Masi is a very 'possessive' dog of me. Protective? Again haven't been in the situation to test that out. I know I've had strangers to her, come at me flailing arms /loud/boisterous and she has "gone" off on them (barking)..Perceived threat? Maybe.

Do I expect her to protect me? No, I protect her

Diane
Ozzie vom Kleinen Hain
Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
Tranquillo's Kizzy
Jakoda's Kholee
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
"Angel" Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge

Last edited by JakodaCD OA; 08-03-2011 at 08:08 AM. Reason: edit
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-03-2011, 08:17 AM
Crowned Member

Our last gsd was a great protector and Stosh is turning out to be one as well. We live out in the country in a glass house and my husband travels most of the time. Just having a big dog as a deterrent is enough for me, being my constant companion was more important- so I got exactly what I wanted. I
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-03-2011, 08:53 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stosh View Post
Our last gsd was a great protector and Stosh is turning out to be one as well. We live out in the country in a glass house and my husband travels most of the time. Just having a big dog as a deterrent is enough for me, being my constant companion was more important- so I got exactly what I wanted. I
I bet you never throw stones........I'm so sorry, I couldn't resist.

Hondo Von Dopplet L Bauernhof "Hondo"- GSD
Lilie's Tug McGraw "Tug" - Golden Retriever
Maggie - Mini Dachshund (Rescue)
Lonestar Pivo - Texas Blue Lacy
Ashe - Barn Cat
Katie / APHA
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-03-2011, 09:25 AM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakodaCD OA View Post
I can't really 'vote' because none of the above really apply to me.

In the car, Masi is quiet as a church mouse, but a stranger touching the car or trying to get in it, all bets are off.

Stranger comes to my house, again, quiet, alert, watchful, will react off my que, and has never had a problem letting a stranger IN when I am present.

Out in public, again, alert/watchful/I would say suspicious of strangers, I've never been in a situation where I've need 'protection' so I couldn't say how she'd react to a threat, but I think I know.

I would say Masi is a very 'possessive' dog of me. Protective? Again haven't been in the situation to test that out. I know I've had strangers to her, come at me flailing arms /loud/boisterous and she has "gone" off on them (barking)..Perceived threat? Maybe.

Do I expect her to protect me? No, I protect her
Otto is very similar to Masi. Alerts if theres a stranger outside. Ok when I invite friends and family in. I'm sure how he would react if a strage man or woman came in a caught if off guard ( may not be a nice "hello" I can imagine). He is ok but is constantly scanning and watching. I notice he does this more when our family is out in public. He does have fun and let loose though. I see Otto as my protector but I know one thing I would do any thing to protect him. I have had a time were Otto did protect me from a stranger. He is our family shepherd for sure!

Otto Blk GSD 02/23/10
Circe Blk Sable GSD 06/22/08
My fur babies!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by DanielleOttoMom; 08-03-2011 at 09:27 AM.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-03-2011, 09:29 AM
Banned

when you live in a glass house you can
throw stones but don't throw them at
your house.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stosh View Post
We live out in the country in a glass house and my husband travels most of the time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilie View Post
I bet you never throw stones........I'm so sorry, I couldn't resist.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-03-2011, 09:40 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiedad View Post
when you live in a glass house you can
throw stones but don't throw them at
your house.
True. But I admit, I throw like a girl. I'd take out my own house.

Hondo Von Dopplet L Bauernhof "Hondo"- GSD
Lilie's Tug McGraw "Tug" - Golden Retriever
Maggie - Mini Dachshund (Rescue)
Lonestar Pivo - Texas Blue Lacy
Ashe - Barn Cat
Katie / APHA
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-03-2011, 09:50 AM
Elite Member

Interesting question. We did not get any of our GSD's with protection in mind. Now that we have three we don't feel a need to lock our doors. Anyone entering when we are not there is on their own. Clover, who is gentle as can be and very approachable in public makes a big fuss when anyone comes to the door. So much so it is sometimes annoying. Patton on the other hand never barks, but if he is not comfortable with someone, he is a biter, enough so that we have to be very careful of his contacts with others. We of course did not know this when we took him in but quickly learned when he bit the neighbor. It was a "protective" bite but he did break skin so now has a history.

If a situation arose where protection was an issue I think Clover would rise to the occasion, Max would follow her lead trying to figure out what he should do and Patton would be truly dangerous to whomever might be "attacking" (especially if someone were to attack my wife).

Clover - GSD 9 yr old Rescue
R.I.P. Spats, Sophie, Emmie, Pooh Bear, Rogue, Max and Patton

Remember, if someone has a problem with you.........it is in fact their problem.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-03-2011, 11:08 AM
Banned

From what we have seen of Baron, (current 3.5yo male). YES - he would bite if someone attacked us. No question. OTOH, he is usually very friendly and even pesty with most people he comes into contact with.

Our long ago dog (pure BYB female) actually proved she would protect but in a reasonable controlled manner. Also proved herself on the ScH field - pretty surprising for a pet BYB dog!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page