Cesar Millan thoughts on Michael Vick - German Shepherd Dog Forums
View Poll Results: What do you think of Michael Vick advocating for the Dog Fighting Prohibition Act?
A good first step, but he has a long way to go 19 44.19%
He is truly remorseful and deserves our forgiveness 2 4.65%
Impossible to forgive him for what he did 19 44.19%
I am on the fence 3 6.98%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 41 (permalink) Old 07-28-2011, 01:56 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Cesar Millan thoughts on Michael Vick

Just today Cesar released a blog post about his thoughts on Michael Vick. It's an interesting read. One thing that I found very interesting is how Cesar compares our inability to forgive/forget human errors to our ability to forgive/forget dogs' errors while we rehabilitate them. Do you think there is validity to comparing the application of our emotions across species?

I know there are a million threads on BOTH Michael Vick and Cesar Millan, but I haven't seen a thread with Cesar's thoughts on Vick... The poll is just a fun extra.

Read Cesar's thoughts here: A Second Chance for Michael Vick? | www.cesarsway.com

He also took a poll which I thought would be fun to do here:

Willy
RATCHX3 High Jinks vom Neuanfang - Gotchya Day: 1/23/2013 DN, SG, SR, CA
Inspire Spark to Ignition! (Ignite) Gotchya Day: 10/8/2016
C-ATCH Pimg - RATO, UJJ (x2), DJX, HIT, CA, CGC, High in Games, Reserve High in Standard- CPE Nationals 2014

Last edited by wildo; 07-28-2011 at 01:59 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 (permalink) Old 07-28-2011, 02:06 PM

I chose " a good first step, but a long way to go". I truly think that anyone can change, and deserves the opportunity to do so. However, my problem is the severity of his actions. It wasn't JUST dog fighting (which is horrendous all by itself), but his other actions, like drowing and electrocuting dogs that lost, that make his actions harder to ever forgive.
post #3 of 41 (permalink) Old 07-28-2011, 02:13 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

This thread's intention:

To discuss Cesar's thoughts on Vick. The intention of the thread is not to discuss the poll. As stated, the poll was just for fun. We have a bazillion threads on "should we forgive Vick."

(No offense, whisperwill- I should have stated this when I created the thread. I forgot.)

Willy
C-ATCH Pimg - RATO, UJJ (x2), DJX, HIT, CA, CGC, High in Games, Reserve High in Standard- CPE Nationals 2014
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 41 (permalink) Old 07-28-2011, 02:14 PM
Elite Member

Send a message via Skype™ to CookieTN
I chose the "good first step, but a long way to go" option. I agree with Mr. Milan on this one. People can change, I'm willing to give the benefit of a doubt.
Hopefully I'm staying on topic?

As for comparing it to forgiving dogs, dogs are much more innocent than humans and easier to forgive. At least to me they are. They don't really have an understanding of right and wrong. Humans do, and often they choose to do wrong anyways.

~Tiffany
"We represent a generation that wants to turn back a nation"~from 'Looking for Angels' by Skillet
Rest in peace, Cookie
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(1998-2011)

Last edited by CookieTN; 07-28-2011 at 02:23 PM.
post #5 of 41 (permalink) Old 07-28-2011, 02:15 PM
Crowned Member

I chose "Impossible To Forgive Him For What He Did" I couldn't possibly forgive someone that not only killed dogs but tortured them in such terrible ways.

He is a monster, a sick individual and I dont think he should be free to walk amongst us.

He said he didn't know he was doing anything wrong, so organizing this dog fight, finding a secure location, telling people to keep their mouths shut and not spill the beans about the location and what was going on, he didn't think anything was wrong there? I dont believe it and I dont buy it, if you think that it is ok to torture ANYTHING, then you are a sick freak and you should be put away.

oops! Sorry.

I HIGHLY disagree with Cesar. HIGHLY Disagree.

Lauren

Sinister ~ black male GSD 3.11.09
post #6 of 41 (permalink) Old 07-28-2011, 02:19 PM
Crowned Member

I agree with Cesar that Vick should be forgiven. We should forgive him, we should move on, we should commend him for his new stance against dog fighting. . . . and he should never be allowed to own a dog.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- 6 years

At the Bridge:
Cash Adopted 2007 - 7/28/2010

Rocky 4/19/2002 - 1/16/2015 to DM
post #7 of 41 (permalink) Old 07-28-2011, 02:23 PM
Crowned Member

Publicity stunt for both parties.

Hondo Von Dopplet L Bauernhof "Hondo"- GSD
Lilie's Tug McGraw "Tug" - Golden Retriever
Maggie - Mini Dachshund (Rescue)
Lonestar Pivo - Texas Blue Lacy
Ashe - Barn Cat
Katie / APHA
post #8 of 41 (permalink) Old 07-28-2011, 02:28 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilie View Post
Publicity stunt for both parties.
ohhhhhhhh.... now that's interesting! For Vick, I wouldn't necessarily disagree.

But wouldn't you say (whether you like him or not) that Cesar has a LOT to lose by issuing public support for Vick, if in fact it's ever proven that Vick hasn't changed a bit?

For the present, sure- it might be good publicity for Cesar, but it could most certainly backfire down the road. That's a *risky* publicity stunt, don't you think?

Willy
post #9 of 41 (permalink) Old 07-28-2011, 02:34 PM
Crowned Member

True Willy. But there are a lot more people jumping on the 'Dog Whisperer' ban wagon. Lots of 'trainers' throwing their hat into the ring. New programs, books etc. Bad publicity is still publicity.

If Vick fails or is found to be a fraud then Cesar can come across as shocked and dismayed, hurt by mankind. A book can be written...etc...etc...Those who follow Cesar follow him hook line and sinker.

Hondo Von Dopplet L Bauernhof "Hondo"- GSD
Lilie's Tug McGraw "Tug" - Golden Retriever
Maggie - Mini Dachshund (Rescue)
Lonestar Pivo - Texas Blue Lacy
Ashe - Barn Cat
Katie / APHA
post #10 of 41 (permalink) Old 07-28-2011, 02:37 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildo View Post
Just today Cesar released a blog post about his thoughts on Michael Vick. It's an interesting read. One thing that I found very interesting is how Cesar compares our inability to forgive/forget human errors to our ability to forgive/forget dogs' errors while we rehabilitate them. Do you think there is validity to comparing the application of our emotions across species?

I know there are a million threads on BOTH Michael Vick and Cesar Millan, but I haven't seen a thread with Cesar's thoughts on Vick... The poll is just a fun extra.

Read Cesar's thoughts here: A Second Chance for Michael Vick? | www.cesarsway.com

He also took a poll which I thought would be fun to do here:
Forgetting and trusting ADULTS who make mistakes (especially big ones) should be harder because they have the ability to reason and make choices foreseeing the consequences. This part of the brain is not developed in children, and I don't know if it really exists in dogs, and if it does I'm sure not to the extent of a human adult. I don't think they are the same. When Vick decided to fight dogs he knew what the consequences to the dogs would be, and chose to do it anyway. Could he be truly sorry? Maybe so; I really don't know. I would say that someone who behaves in such a way deserves any skepticism he gets until there has been a long standing change in his behavioral pattern. When dogs fight it is reactionary; it is not a thought out thing, it is a reaction to something (valid or invalid). So if a dog bites a person he does not say to himself "Hmm...now if I bit this person's arm he will need approximately 12 stitches and may never trust dogs again" The dog sees a perceived threat and uses the tools it has to deal with the situation. So I do not believe you can compare the two.

~Sasha~{GSD}~ 3ish~Gotcha day January, 29, 2011
~Monte~{Golden Retriever}~ (RIP)~ 1997-2009

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page