Bratty or serious? - German Shepherd Dog Forums
View Poll Results: What kind of behavior do you prefer?
Bratty all the way! Eat my socks! 6 15.38%
Serious, refined, calm. A regal GSD. 10 25.64%
A little bit of both. 23 58.97%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-23-2011, 06:42 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Send a message via AIM to Tbarrios333
Bratty or serious?

Take your pick!

This kind of goes along with the high drive vs low.

Having Denali and Buzz has helped me realize a few things. 1. I LOVE high drives. 2. I love bratty behavior!

Denali is serious and calm. Denali is my love bug, cuddle monster, and refined queen. She will cuddle with you forever and calmly ask to be pet. She is generally aloof with strangers (which I love) and never goes into zoomy mode unless the puppy amps her up.
She will nicely ask you to play with her by placing the ball in your lap or next to you on the couch, then stare until you throw it.

The puppy is SUCH a brat. While I don't encourage it, she back talks me all the time. If there's something she doesn't like, she'll let you know!
I love it when she steals my socks and runs away, tail wagging, happy as can be.
The puppy is more like the spoiled little princess (and I admit she gets away with a lot more than Denali ever did!).
She is calming down now, but I love the brattiness.

What about you?

Owned by Nini and McKinley.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-23-2011, 10:19 PM
cta
Master Member

well...after raising my dog for the past 14 months, i have come to realize he is a BRAT! go ahead, eat my socks? ha..yeah...he has actually eaten my socks...it wasn't pretty . i remember the first time he grabbed a sock and nudged the back door open and starting romping around the yard with it. he looked like a bucking bronco, having the time of his life and there i was chasing him around the yard like a huge idiot begging him to drop it. all the while i saw the sock going further and further into his mouth...kind of like how a snake eats its prey...it just goes in a little bit at a time until it's gone. i was horrified. lol...those were the days. he has since calmed down A LOT...that was when he was a baby...but he still has his goonie days here and there. i always joke that he's actually a monkey dressed up in a dog suit

Chobahn 3/26/10
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"If a dog will not come to you after having looked you in the face, you should go home and examine your conscience." -Woodrow Wilson
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-23-2011, 11:37 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Send a message via AIM to Tbarrios333
cta

Owned by Nini and McKinley.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-24-2011, 02:31 PM
cta
Master Member

hmmm...i also didn't mention how he used to grab things...bathroom rugs, more socks kitchen towels and basically anything we didn't want him to have...and RUN circles around the dining room table. he was such a stinker he would get close enough to us but the second we would make a move on him, BOOM!!!! off he went running laps around the table and probably laughing to himself all the while. just when we thought he couldn't get anything, he would find something somewhere to grab (we were pretty diligent about puppy proofing, but i guess he outsmarted us). lol omg i sometimes wonder how we survived the puppy days.

Chobahn 3/26/10
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"If a dog will not come to you after having looked you in the face, you should go home and examine your conscience." -Woodrow Wilson

Last edited by cta; 07-24-2011 at 02:33 PM.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-25-2011, 12:45 PM
Crowned Member

I think it has more to do with threshold than drive. Not all high drive dogs are chasing and biting everything that moves or exceptionally pushy type dogs.

I prefer the more "serious" type I guess, but not a dog lacking in drive. A dog that has a higher threshold for both prey and defense. A good, clear on/off switch.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-25-2011, 02:36 PM
Banned

Maggie is like a lot of kids: a street angel. At home she can be a brat but on the street everyone compliments how well trained she is ( I never her trained her, that's just how she is). But in the house and in the yard she's a NUT. So I guess she is both: calm in public but a brat at home.... although at 2 she is starting to calm down a little at home.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-25-2011, 03:36 PM
Elite Member

Serious side: I love it when Sasha is laying there, just looking geourgous. I love the fact that she can be calm, but as soon as I want to play it's game one. I love that she loves to train. I love that she's all about her mamma

Bratty Side: I love when I get frustrated with her and go on a rant, speaking to her like she obviously understands me, and then all the sudden I get back talk and can't keep a straight face. If I didn't know better I would swear she rolls her eyes at me sometimes...that or suddenly she thinks something on the ceiling is really interesting. I love that I love when she gets excited and snaps at the air in my direction, but then feels bad if I happen to be moving my hand toward her and teeth and hand collide and I get kisses

Basically I love it all. The good and the bratty...most of the time ;-D

~Sasha~{GSD}~ 3ish~Gotcha day January, 29, 2011
~Monte~{Golden Retriever}~ (RIP)~ 1997-2009

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-02-2011, 12:14 PM
Banned

I think there needs to be a mix a not super bratty or super serous.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page