Puppy-Yes or No?? - German Shepherd Dog Forums
View Poll Results: Do You Get Your Dogs As Puppies Or As Adults?
Puppies!! I love baby dogs!! 47 74.60%
It really does not matter to me...Any will do. 10 15.87%
Adults!! Puppies are too hyper for me!! 6 9.52%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-21-2011, 09:01 PM Thread Starter

Puppy-Yes or No??

Do you GSD owners prefer to get your dogs as puppies or all ready full-grown?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
lucy82

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-21-2011, 09:04 PM
Crowned Member

i guess it depends. My first purebred GSD was an adult. may as well have been a puppy though lol. I'm okay with either as long as i'm able to get a puppy/adult that compliments us and we them. I prefer puppies because i have complete control over their upbringing and i dont have to try and fix any problems someone else may have caused but then with a puppy, if there's a problem its my fault lol. ups and downs.

Shasta GSD 5/5/10 CGC, ITD, TC
"Dax" Thor z vom Weberhaus BCAT CAX2 CGCA ETD HCT NCO-1 PKD-T RATI RATN RA TC TKA 3/18/2013
"Hades" Guilty vom Blutfeuer 10/26/2018
Zena GSD 6/1/03-2/16/2016
Riley GSD/BC 1/10/05-2/1/2013
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-21-2011, 09:10 PM
Elite Member

We have always had "teenaged" rescues. We've been fortunate that our dogs have always been able to adapt and did well in obedience classes.

I do love that puppy smell though. Someday I will have the time for puppy-hood.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-21-2011, 09:20 PM
Elite Member

I have never got an adult GSD. I LOVE the puppy stage, as far as looks, but I love knowing what they will be like grown up even more. If that makes sense.

Megan

Amadeus 1/13/2003-10/20/2010 RIP
Glock 1/25/2011
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-21-2011, 09:28 PM
Banned

i perfer a pup because i don't want to inherit
any problems. i like a well trained highly socialized
dog. when i get a pup i know i'm going to have that.
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-21-2011, 09:48 PM
Crowned Member

I went back and forth when planning to get a dog on whether to get a puppy or adult. I eventually decided to get an adult because I had just lost my two senior dogs and I thought a puppy might be too much of a shock after two well-trained seniors. I had been planning to get a 1-2 year old dog but I ended up getting Bianca instead who was 4 1/2. My previous dogs were adult rescues (stray rescue mostly) and they were great dogs. I am planning to get a puppy next time, though.

Jubal/Tesla (Beauceron) 3/14/14
Bianca HIC CGC TT (GSD) 4/24/04-10/23/12
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-21-2011, 09:52 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarlettsmom View Post
We have always had "teenaged" rescues. We've been fortunate that our dogs have always been able to adapt and did well in obedience classes.

I do love that puppy smell though. Someday I will have the time for puppy-hood.
I've rescued two adults...one between 2 and 3 and the other between 3 and 5. I think your "time for puppy hood" comment is right on the money. When I hear some of the horror stories (some funnier than others!), I just cringe.

I might think about a puppy in two years when I retire from the Air Force, but that depends on whether I get a real job, or just mess around on-line.

Todd

Abby - Adopted 11 July 2011

Heidi - RIP (3 May 2011)
Run free little girl, you gave me the best seven years of my life.
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-21-2011, 10:51 PM
Knighted Member

Send a message via AIM to Tbarrios333
I'm torn. I love the puppies because it's easier for me to bond and develop a trusting relationship with a puppy. However, it takes me a really long time to get to a point where I say "I'm ready for a puppy again!" In fact, I didn't even say that with Buzz. It just kind of happened.
Puppies are a lot of work, but then again adults are a lot of work as well when they first get home. Maybe not as much, but still!
Next time, I will probably go through a reputable breeder, but I'm leaning more towards a GSD rescue and an older dog.

Owned by Nini and McKinley.
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-21-2011, 10:54 PM
Crowned Member

I love, love, love puppies! Though the 4 I've raised have been really easy and not destructive.
We rescued a stray adult border collie that would not even come in the house, he had to be carried inside. After he trusted us, he was so bonded to us and his "bro" Stomper(in the beginning they fought). I wish I'd had BlackJack at puppyhood.

I adopted Kacie at 21 months old, and wish I could have shared in her puppyhood(vetting included) Shout out to Kacie on her 6th birthday today!!!!!
I also fostered a young male that was still a bit of pup, and I'm sure most of his 'issues' were related to environment and not his genetics. Too bad he was dealt a bad hand during his foundation.
I would love to be a foster to pups(or be a service dog raiser),
though I am a bit too lenient, so may not be the right person to raise a pup for that type work ethic.....though I've had more problems with the ones that came to live with us as adults vs ones that we raised from puppyhood(for the record only one was from a good breeder with good pedigree, genetics)

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18

Last edited by onyx'girl; 07-21-2011 at 11:02 PM.
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-21-2011, 10:54 PM
Crowned Member

I have only gotten two dogs as adults -- Jasmine who was just a temporary lodger for about two years before my brother got her back; and Odessa. All the rest were puppies. I do love them all. But there is something special about watching puppy antics.

Heidi Ho, Odie
Joy-Joy, Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Ramona the Pest, Kojak -- who loves you baby?
Tiny Tinnie, Susie's Uzzi, Kaiah -- The Baby Monster.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page