Breed Standard (Yes or No) - German Shepherd Dog Forums
View Poll Results: Which option best represents your opinion?
There SHOULD be a breed standard and breeders should breed to it (not intentionally breed outside it) 43 59.72%
There SHOULD be a breed standard, but breeders should be "allowed" to breed specialized GSDs 6 8.33%
There SHOULD be a breed standard, but it should be different than it currently is (You pick which one) 5 6.94%
There SHOULD be a breed standard, but rules are made to be broken 1 1.39%
There SHOULD be a breed standard, but there needs to be different versions for different types or lines 15 20.83%
There SHOULD be a breed standard, but we shouldn’t talk about it on the forum so no one will be offended if their dog doesn’t fit the standard 0 0%
There SHOULD NOT be a breed standard 0 0%
Other 2 2.78%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 43 (permalink) Old 07-06-2011, 04:01 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Breed Standard (Yes or No)

It seems like every time the breed standard is mentioned in a thread, someone inevitably gets very upset and defensive. This amazes me. I have never read a post where someone said that a non-standard GSD was not worthy of love. I have only read people saying that BREEDING should be done according to standard.

The repeated defensiveness makes me wonder if people are just not understanding what is being said, or if they just disagree with there being a breed standard. This poll is to satisfy my curiousity.

Please vote for the choice that best represents your viewpoint or choose "Other" and explain below.

Last edited by Ruthie; 07-06-2011 at 04:07 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 (permalink) Old 07-06-2011, 04:11 PM
Crowned Member

I am an "other."

I think that there should be a breed standard and people should do their best to stay within it, but if they have a dog that is exceptional in many ways, and only a minor variance, like 1/2 inch over or under standard height, one should not throw out the baby with the bath water.

Of course there are standards, and each can be interpreted many ways. We will not ever all agree on how it should be interpreted.

Heidi Ho, Odie
Joy-Joy, Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Ramona the Pest, Kojak -- who loves you baby?
Tiny Tinnie, Susie's Uzzi, Kaiah -- The Baby Monster.
post #3 of 43 (permalink) Old 07-06-2011, 04:34 PM
Knighted Member

I think because this is a GSD forum passions run high. Doesn't matter whether the subject is breed standard, rescue, or dogs that bite.

In the real world outside the forum, the world of puppy mills, pet store dogs, some BYB's, a friend or relative who has a couple of dogs and want one litter, humane society dogs, rescue dogs nobody cares about this stuff.

Most people want a dog for their family. They don't know about or care about breed standards.

I think there should be a breed standard

Last edited by Jack's Dad; 07-06-2011 at 04:43 PM. Reason: forgot to answer poll
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 43 (permalink) Old 07-06-2011, 04:39 PM
vat
Knighted Member

Boy this is a tricky one. I chose There SHOULD be a breed standard, but there needs to be different versions for different types or lines. Because not everyone wants a really really high drive dog but there are those that do.

Valerie

Shewana's Maximum Velocity (aka Max)
Shewana's Hot-Spice (aka Callan)

Kaycee 11/97-5/10
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Rio 10/08-2/10
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Handle every stressful situation like a dog. If you can't eat it or play with it, pee on it and walk away.
post #5 of 43 (permalink) Old 07-06-2011, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vat View Post
Because not everyone wants a really really high drive dog but there are those that do.
Not that I am an expert on the breed standard but I don't think a really really high drive is part of the standard. The GSD should be able to do many different things with drives and a temperament within standard including sport or being a pet.
post #6 of 43 (permalink) Old 07-06-2011, 05:16 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by selzer View Post
I am an "other."
I think that there should be a breed standard and people should do their best to stay within it, but if they have a dog that is exceptional in many ways, and only a minor variance, like 1/2 inch over or under standard height, one should not throw out the baby with the bath water.
Of course no dog is perfect. Every dog has faults, but ideally, we would choose a breeding partner that is strong where our dog is weak. So for example if your dog is 1/2 inch over the standard, but outstanding in every other aspect, you would breed to an equally outstanding bitch whose lines run toward the smaller size within standard.
post #7 of 43 (permalink) Old 07-06-2011, 05:23 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vat View Post
Boy this is a tricky one. I chose There SHOULD be a breed standard, but there needs to be different versions for different types or lines. Because not everyone wants a really really high drive dog but there are those that do.
I don't think the standard mentions "really really high drive".

If you want two different standards, you would have to split the GSD into two different breeds, like they did with American/English Cockers, American/English Foxhounds, and so on.
post #8 of 43 (permalink) Old 07-06-2011, 05:37 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
There SHOULD be a breed standard and breeders should breed to it (not intentionally breed outside it)
I voted for the above.

I don't think I need to explain my take on this any further.

G Wild Winds Zephyr of Cognac BH, HIC, NTD, ITD, CGN, TT
Wild Winds Archangel Raphael HIC, TT
XX z Weberhaus
post #9 of 43 (permalink) Old 07-06-2011, 05:42 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freestep View Post
Of course no dog is perfect. Every dog has faults, but ideally, we would choose a breeding partner that is strong where our dog is weak. So for example if your dog is 1/2 inch over the standard, but outstanding in every other aspect, you would breed to an equally outstanding bitch whose lines run toward the smaller size within standard.
There is a danger in this.

What I do is, where my dog is weak, I try to breed to a dog who is correct. So I would not breed an over-angulated dog to an under angulated dog. You would breed a dog with less angulation to a dog with proper angulation.

I would not try to breed a bitch that is 1/2 inch too large to a dog on the lower end of the height range, I would breed to a dog who is as average as possible, but I think that I would be more likely to pick the right dog for the bitch, and check the height on the dog and if it falls within the ideal range, 24-26 inches (I know the German Standard is in centimeters and it is a little smaller), than it is a go.

If you take a large bitch and breed her to a large dog, you might be breeding for over-sized dogs. If you have an awesome 29 inch dog, and you breed it to a 22 inch bitch, that just does not give me a warm fuzzy feeling. What I have done is bred a 24.5 inch bitch to a 25.5 inch dog with good results.

Heidi Ho, Odie
Joy-Joy, Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Ramona the Pest, Kojak -- who loves you baby?
Tiny Tinnie, Susie's Uzzi, Kaiah -- The Baby Monster.
post #10 of 43 (permalink) Old 07-06-2011, 05:49 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by selzer View Post
There is a danger in this.

What I do is, where my dog is weak, I try to breed to a dog who is correct. So I would not breed an over-angulated dog to an under angulated dog. You would breed a dog with less angulation to a dog with proper angulation.
Right. You wouldn't want to breed a bitch with an overbite to a male with an underbite, either... it just doesn't work that way.

Quote:
If you have an awesome 29 inch dog, and you breed it to a 22 inch bitch, that just does not give me a warm fuzzy feeling. What I have done is bred a 24.5 inch bitch to a 25.5 inch dog with good results.
I guess what I meant to say is, if my dog were too tall, I'd want a bitch whose bloodlines do not have a tendency to go oversize (or undersize), but right within the standard. If some of the dogs in the pedigree are on the smaller end of the standard, that would be just fine, but I'd have a bit of concern if many of the dogs were at the upper end of the standard.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page