Do you take your dog to a dog park? - German Shepherd Dog Forums
View Poll Results: Do you take your dog to the dog park?
Yes, we love to go 22 42.31%
no, we don't have one near , but i wish we could go 3 5.77%
no, there are too many risks involved 24 46.15%
no, she/he does not get along with other animal 3 5.77%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-10-2011, 08:48 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Talking Do you take your dog to a dog park?

i was just curious on how many owners actually take their animals to the park.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, Mar 19, 2011

Prince vom Gildaf "Charles" August 16, 2012
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-10-2011, 08:52 PM
Crowned Member

I can't pick an option. I have gone in the past and saw too many things from other dogs and stupid owners I didn't want near my dog. I do sometimes still go but only when the park is empty.

**ETA**
Also, Sage gets along with other dogs but he never cared for playing with strange dogs at the park. He wanted to play with me.

-Brandi

6-5-09

Last edited by sagelfn; 06-10-2011 at 08:55 PM.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-10-2011, 08:54 PM
Master Member

I used to take Shadow, but there were too many people in there who didn't control their dogs. Shadow was attacked on two different occasions and that was enough for me.

Di

Shadow - GSD
Apache - Bernese Mtn / Australian Shep X
and gone but NEVER forgotten:
Smokey Joe - GSD/Rott X
Jake - Westie-Poo
Mandy - Peke-a-Poo
Denae - Akita/Malamute/GSD
T.J - Great Pyranees
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-10-2011, 08:54 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagelfn View Post
I can't pick an option. I have gone in the past and saw too many things from other dogs and stupid owners I didn't want near my dog. I do sometimes still go but only when the park is empty.
Same here, there should be an option: Yes, we go occasionally. Not everyone who goes to a dog park loves it.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-10-2011, 09:10 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaddyD View Post
Same here, there should be an option: Yes, we go occasionally. Not everyone who goes to a dog park loves it.
I guess we're in this group as well. We go, rarely, and usually when there are fewer people or when we know there will tend to be people at our park that have control of their dogs.

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours faithful and true~ to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. ~unknown
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-10-2011, 10:06 PM
Knighted Member

Absolutely not.

Bringing my animals to meet with strange animals and people of unknown health and temperament is not my piece of cake.

And for those who own 'dangerous dogs' - it's for your dogs own good you don't take them to a dog park.

Sparkles, Lilith, Eve, Candy, Dahlia, Juno, Tonks.

Jaeger, Ben, Goose, Dirk, LingLing, Bentley, Elliot, Batman.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-10-2011, 10:18 PM

I took Raven as a puppy but stopped when she matured and stopped enjoying it. I've never taken Kaiser. We do go hiking off leash with a group of dogs and they all get along but the dynamics of a dog park are too risky for me. I need my dogs to remain dog friendly and can't risk it.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-10-2011, 10:21 PM
Master Member

It's WAY worse than taking a 2 year old to a McDonalds playplace!!! People that have ill behaved kids are as bad as ill behaved/uncontrolled dogs. I will go if there is no one else there, or just 1 or 2, but anymore than that, not even worth it. ( I had a kid about 2 years older violently shove my 2 year old down the steps...long story short, his dad said "he's just being a kid"'. Yeah a kid with an a* for a parent maybe I should come knock your a* out...just being a parent...) They left. Darn. Same things with dogs, but with a developing pups temperment at stake, I will not take the chance at all. Humans (even little ones) learn that some people just stink, dogs don't quite get it like that...
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-10-2011, 10:21 PM
Crowned Member

No I don't. I would love to utilize the private one that just opened, they have an agility course, pond and dock for diving and lots of open land. It is pricey($365 annually) and not busy ever.
I think it would be great to schedule private use, they may get more people as members if we could have it to ourselves(or training group) for blocks of time.
There are a few public dog parks around, but I wouldn't use them as I don't care to socialize my dogs with strange ones.
The water feature is the only draw...not many dog friendly beaches around anymore.

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-10-2011, 10:27 PM
Crowned Member

Yes we go once in a while. The park I really like to go to (but don't get there often due to the distance) is 44 acres with prairie/grasslands surrounding the paths and fields, and a pond in a separately fenced area from the main park and when we go often the only other dogs we see are off in the distance. The also have separately fenced training enclosures.
We also sometimes go to the dog beach because dogs aren't allowed on the city beaches here, only on the dog beaches. To be allowed on the dog beach you have to get a special Dog Friendly Area permit tag(same one for the city dog parks) which you need to get from a vet and requires a health certificate, fecal check and vaccines (or titers).

Jubal/Tesla (Beauceron) 3/14/14
Bianca HIC CGC TT (GSD) 4/24/04-10/23/12

Last edited by Chicagocanine; 06-10-2011 at 10:31 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page