Do you prefer a high drive puppy...or one more laid back? - German Shepherd Dog Forums
View Poll Results: Do you prefer a high drive puppy, or one more laid back?
High drive. 49 45.37%
Laid back and calm. 49 45.37%
Makes no difference to me. 10 9.26%
Voters: 108. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 64 (permalink) Old 06-10-2011, 06:13 PM Thread Starter

Do you prefer a high drive puppy...or one more laid back?

I have my new puppy Ninja, she is almost 14 weeks now. She is awesome. She is more laid back, except her playing spurts with our other two dogs. We bring her to the dog park almost every day...and she relaxes instead of going wild. She will walk up to strangers to be pet, survey the area, then come back and lay by our feet. It's truly just her personality. Do you prefer a dog more laid back? Or do you prefer the (what seem to be sought after in some cases) high drive puppies? Also, which do YOU think is better for training? I find this interesting....when I was little we had a VERY high drive puppy that looked exactly like Ninja (black GSD). She was extremely smart, but didn't listen all the time because of being so high drive. Ninja on the other hand seems to be picking it up faster, and seems like she will be a little more loyal and dependable than the previous dog from when I was a young one. I would like to hear YOUR opinions. I know every dog is different and has their own personality, so PLEASE don't think I am completely throwing any type of dog into a certain category as far as brains, trainability, etc. goes. I'm just going by my own experiences here, and would like to know your experiences.

Kiba - German Shepherd/Border Collie Mix 10/2008
Scout - Basenji/Pitbull Mix 10/29/2009
Ninja - GSD 3/4/2011
Sino - German Shepherd/Blue Lacy Mix - RIP

Last edited by Sarah Rose; 06-10-2011 at 06:15 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 64 (permalink) Old 06-10-2011, 06:19 PM
Master Member

I like them somewhere in between
post #3 of 64 (permalink) Old 06-10-2011, 06:25 PM
Master Member

High drive for me, I love the challenge Even when she comes at me with some serious attitude, I love her for it.

~ Cayla

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 64 (permalink) Old 06-10-2011, 06:41 PM
Knighted Member

Depends on the purpose... Laid back dogs are comfier on the couch, high drive ones are fun to train... I enjoy both training and laying on the couch so I'm torn.
post #5 of 64 (permalink) Old 06-10-2011, 06:51 PM
Crowned Member

I prefer a dog with a bit higher drive as long as it is balanced and has an off switch.
My golden/border x was lower drive and she was boring...

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #6 of 64 (permalink) Old 06-10-2011, 06:53 PM

Laid back. I never intended to enter into any type of competition with my dog.
post #7 of 64 (permalink) Old 06-10-2011, 06:58 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by onyx'girl View Post
I prefer a dog with a bit higher drive as long as it is balanced and has an off switch.
IMO what a GSD should be. I think if you want a couch potato you should get a different breed dog.

To the OP, I know this isn't the thread for it but I would stop taking your puppy to the dog park. Lots of threads here and info out there on the risks.

-Brandi

6-5-09

post #8 of 64 (permalink) Old 06-10-2011, 07:09 PM
Crowned Member

Well I'm one of those who doesn't consider drive and energy to be one in the same. There are plently of high drive dogs out there who could be called "couch potatoes" but will work like heck if you give them the chance, training, and outlet. And then there are low drive dogs who are hyper active, with no off switch. I agree with the above statement that even a high drive dog should have an "off switch."

Personally speaking, I MUCH prefer high drive because it is so much easier and more fun to train the dog. They are more engaged, happy, and want to learn.
post #9 of 64 (permalink) Old 06-10-2011, 07:10 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagelfn View Post
IMO what a GSD should be. I think if you want a couch potato you should get a different breed dog.

To the OP, I know this isn't the thread for it but I would stop taking your puppy to the dog park. Lots of threads here and info out there on the risks.
I appreciate your concern and opinion.
We have had a puppy that didn't get the socialization it needed (dog park especially) at the proper age. It was a recipe for disaster, and did indeed become a disaster. I am not too familiar with the risks you are talking about. I watch her closely and she has all her shots, etc. You will never find her in an area by herself, as I follow her everywhere and monitor everything that happens around her. It is paying off, as she is becoming extremely well balanced and friendly with people, which is MY goal and what I would like from her. I do not want to deal with what we dealt with with that last dog. He would literally try to attack children, dogs, and would attack us. Not in a high drive sense, but....he wanted to draw blood. This is a story for another thread, which I have deliberately chosen to not create.
Dog parks, for me, are there for socialization. Pretty soon I will start other activies with her, so we will not need to rely only on the dog park (starting off with simple puppy obedience, and it will proceed from there).
I have heard about the dog fights that result in a dog killing another dog in the dog parks in my area. I have also heard about kennel cough going around etc in our area at the dog parks. I personally feel you can't hide in your own house forever. You NEED to take some risks to get the full advantage from life and all it has to offer.
Everyone has their own opinion though, and thanks for sharing!

Kiba - German Shepherd/Border Collie Mix 10/2008
Scout - Basenji/Pitbull Mix 10/29/2009
Ninja - GSD 3/4/2011
Sino - German Shepherd/Blue Lacy Mix - RIP
post #10 of 64 (permalink) Old 06-10-2011, 07:17 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah Rose View Post
I appreciate your concern and opinion.
We have had a puppy that didn't get the socialization it needed (dog park especially) at the proper age. It was a recipe for disaster, and did indeed become a disaster. I am not too familiar with the risks you are talking about. I watch her closely and she has all her shots, etc. You will never find her in an area by herself, as I follow her everywhere and monitor everything that happens around her. It is paying off, as she is becoming extremely well balanced and friendly with people, which is MY goal and what I would like from her. I do not want to deal with what we dealt with with that last dog. He would literally try to attack children, dogs, and would attack us. Not in a high drive sense, but....he wanted to draw blood. This is a story for another thread, which I have deliberately chosen to not create.
Dog parks, for me, are there for socialization. Pretty soon I will start other activies with her, so we will not need to rely only on the dog park (starting off with simple puppy obedience, and it will proceed from there).
I have heard about the dog fights that result in a dog killing another dog in the dog parks in my area. I have also heard about kennel cough going around etc in our area at the dog parks. I personally feel you can't hide in your own house forever. You NEED to take some risks to get the full advantage from life and all it has to offer.
Everyone has their own opinion though, and thanks for sharing!
I don't think the lack of socialization is the reason for your last dogs temperament. It was poor nerves/genetics, not the fact that it didn't go to a dog park.
Of course you don't isolate the dog, but a dog of good genetics will be neutral to other dogs and not try to literally try to attack children, dogs, and would attack us

You'll see at maturity your dog will probably not be a good dog park candidate. Lucky for you both if I am wrong!
GSD's have a different play style than other breeds and will end up getting blamed for the scraps that occur(they love to growl and nip while playing, looks like aggression, but it is just the way they play) Other dogs or their owners may read it differently.
Maybe now is the time to get involved in a training group, agility, herding, competitive obedience foundation can all be started at a young age.

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page