Does your vet permit you to stay with your dog while he is being treated? - German Shepherd Dog Forums
View Poll Results: Would you let a vet treat your dog without u being present?
Yes, no big deal. 116 52.97%
No way! 103 47.03%
Voters: 219. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 234 (permalink) Old 05-19-2011, 12:45 AM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Does your vet permit you to stay with your dog while he is being treated?

Does your vet permit you to be with your dog during the examination and while he is treating your pet? At my vet's office, initially you are called into a small exam room with your dog and the vet will ask you why you are there and take a look at your dog. Then the vet will tell you to go back in the waiting room while they treat your dog, or do vaccines, weigh your dog, etc. You then return to the waiting room and then a vet tech will bring your dog out to you when they are done. I felt uncomfortable and was a bit surprised when I first went to this vet, but then I came to accept it as normal, but now I am wondering if I shouldn't be so trusting.

*US Army Mom*

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 234 (permalink) Old 05-19-2011, 12:50 AM
Knighted Member

Wow, I couldn't go to a vet that did that. It would make me feel too uncomfortable. I want to be there with my dogs and see what's being done to them. I have never heard of a vet that does something like that.

Jamie Lee~blk GSD~6/24/10
Lola~mastiff mix~2/10/08
Samson~minpin~1/29/06
Grover~terrier mix~1/28/11
Victor~GSD~(RIP)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 234 (permalink) Old 05-19-2011, 12:50 AM
Master Member

Sounds a little strange. Chances are there is nothing to worry about. But, I would certainly ask them why! You can tell them (politely) you would feel more comfortable if you could stay in the room. Do your dogs behave well at the vets?

Sydney(rescue)-Pit cross
Birbo(rescue)-GSD

Until we meet again . . .
Bear(rescue)-GSD, my soul mate.
Kai-(rescue)GSD, my forever baby.
Kobie-Pomeranian, my tiniest dog with the biggest heart.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 234 (permalink) Old 05-19-2011, 12:51 AM
Crowned Member

thats not something i would want to do. We've had several experiences where the vet took one of our pets back out of our sight and it caused more harm than good. Several members on the site have had issues because of that. I wouldnt trust a vet who doesnt allow you in the room with your pet during anything less than surgery. Riley used to be the perfect vet dog. Never growled, grumbled, snapped or anything until the ONE time we allowed the vet to take him back without us present. NEVER again. EVER! he's got to be muzzled going in and coming out because of that experience. No idea still to this day what exactly they did to him but he's not good at the vet anymore since. I refuse to ever allow a vet to take any of my animals back without me present. I will walk out (yes, without paying) and never go back if they tell me they have to take my dog back or me leave the room. I'll tell them why as i'm walking out the door too.

NOTE: Some dogs do better without their owner present for even annuals but thats rare. It usually stresses your pet more when you're NOT there while they're being handled by strangers.

Shasta GSD 5/5/10 CGC, ITD, TC
"Dax" Thor z vom Weberhaus BCAT CAX2 CGCA ETD HCT NCO-1 PKD-T RATI RATN RA TC TKA 3/18/2013
"Hades" Guilty vom Blutfeuer 10/26/2018
Zena GSD 6/1/03-2/16/2016
Riley GSD/BC 1/10/05-2/1/2013
post #5 of 234 (permalink) Old 05-19-2011, 12:53 AM

My vet is big on owner participation, so I've always been there for any exam, test, etc. I wouldn't be comfortable leaving my dog. And I see no reason why I couldn't be there
for anything, short of surgery,

I think it's whatever you feel comfortable doing.

~ Diane ~

CARLY ......... Ch. Lauremi's No Reservations (AKC GCh pointed, HIC)
SCARLET ..... Lauremi's Almost Wasn't (AKC pointed)
and absent friends... SAGE ~ Lauremi's Whim Z v Jakmar ~ AKC major ptd, HIC ~ 2010-2015
post #6 of 234 (permalink) Old 05-19-2011, 12:54 AM
Lin
Crowned Member

Send a message via AIM to Lin Send a message via Yahoo to Lin
I would not allow that... I want to know exactly whats going on and be there to help if blood is being drawn, and to make sure my dogs aren't accidentally given something I don't want them to have. It never fails that EVERY time I go to the vet, no matter what the reason is for, the vet tech goes "and vaccines" at the end of the reason I gave when I scheduled the appointment. NO. When I'm there for vaccines, I'll tell you. Once at a past vet they vaccinated my dogs without asking first only a month after they had received their boosters. I was LIVID.

The only times I haven't been right with my dogs was when they had to take Tessa for xrays, or when I've been at the ER vet/Logans ICU stay.

member in education and Service Dog Handler.
post #7 of 234 (permalink) Old 05-19-2011, 12:55 AM
Knighted Member

I won't go into the details as I'd just be repeating my self from the Parvo thread.
But, yep...and I've gone through three vets in two years due to the Alice seizure issues. I've got one now that not only agreed that the meds are too high, but actually has us help restrain the dog.
And, my dog apparently is a tramp and loves, loves, loves, his intern.
*literally gazes adoringly at him...while wagging her tail. *eye roll*

I don't think it's as not trusting the vet. Some dogs resource guard their owners and sometimes it's easier for the vet to just go bam bam, your done. Some people can't stand to hear their dog vocalize their displeasure at the vet....and we all pretty much know how big Drama Queens GSDs can be.
Even if I had to muzzle my dog...I'd still want to be there. I wouldn't feel like I have a good working relationship with the doctor if they did what your vet does.
post #8 of 234 (permalink) Old 05-19-2011, 12:58 AM

my current vet tries to take my dog into the back i tell him no he or she is where ever i go so far that has not caused any issues and you better believe i will walk out of a clinic if they tried to force me to leave the room or run off with my dog i used to work for a vet never ever leave your dog alone for a exam surgery is one thing but for normal stuff no way

Ashley
post #9 of 234 (permalink) Old 05-19-2011, 01:29 AM

As a vet tech, we usually tend to take the dogs out the back at my clinic to have their nails clipped/ blood taken/ anal glands expressed etc., if the owner requests to be with the animal we'll oblige them in a consult room provided teh dog stays calm, if its starts panicking, we'll take it out the back.
Our main reason is that dogs tend to behave in a more relaxed manner without the owner in the room, once they are are from their pack, they are less likely to try and draw assistance from their owner to get them away from the techs and vets that are trying to hold him still for whatever treatment required... at least I think that must be what be going on, either that or the dogs behave better because they are away from any anxiety or stress the owner might be giving off unwittingly (usually stressy dogs have owners that are worrying themselves if their dog is going to get distressed at being held by a stranger, or if it will try and bite the vet). When the vet is away from the owner he/ she can be more relaxed without the scrutiny and worries of the owner peering down at them while they are trying to do something that requires concentration like sticking a jugular vein in a trembling dog for example. I don't mean to make a generalisation for all owners, many are a great help at restraining their pet calmly, but its usually the ones that balk at their pet being taken out the back that are the ones that stress out the most). At my practice the animal that is taken out the back is surrounded by calm but firm energy which encourages them into submitting and allowing the vets to handle them better.
There are the techs/ vets that will scold a boisterous or hyperactive dog into submission (so they will sit still for their treatment), from my experience the staff I've worked with usually they are so accustomed to reading the body language of so many different dogs they can tell when a dog needs to be spoken to calmly and when they need to be told to behave in a firmer tone of voice, resulting in a calmer dog. Not sure if this has helped or hindered your trust in your vets/ vet techs, but this is my honest experience in the industry, I have been blessed to work with a team that genuinely care and try to help each patient with dedication.. can't speak for all the vets and techs out there obviously, but anyway theres my two bob worth:-)
post #10 of 234 (permalink) Old 05-19-2011, 01:32 AM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by atruepastime View Post
As a vet tech, we usually tend to take the dogs out the back at my clinic to have their nails clipped/ blood taken/ anal glands expressed etc., if the owner requests to be with the animal we'll oblige them in a consult room provided teh dog stays calm, if its starts panicking, we'll take it out the back.
Our main reason is that dogs tend to behave in a more relaxed manner without the owner in the room, once they are are from their pack, they are less likely to try and draw assistance from their owner to get them away from the techs and vets that are trying to hold him still for whatever treatment required... at least I think that must be what be going on, either that or the dogs behave better because they are away from any anxiety or stress the owner might be giving off unwittingly (usually stressy dogs have owners that are worrying themselves if their dog is going to get distressed at being held by a stranger, or if it will try and bite the vet). When the vet is away from the owner he/ she can be more relaxed without the scrutiny and worries of the owner peering down at them while they are trying to do something that requires concentration like sticking a jugular vein in a trembling dog for example. I don't mean to make a generalisation for all owners, many are a great help at restraining their pet calmly, but its usually the ones that balk at their pet being taken out the back that are the ones that stress out the most). At my practice the animal that is taken out the back is surrounded by calm but firm energy which encourages them into submitting and allowing the vets to handle them better.
There are the techs/ vets that will scold a boisterous or hyperactive dog into submission (so they will sit still for their treatment), from my experience the staff I've worked with usually they are so accustomed to reading the body language of so many different dogs they can tell when a dog needs to be spoken to calmly and when they need to be told to behave in a firmer tone of voice, resulting in a calmer dog. Not sure if this has helped or hindered your trust in your vets/ vet techs, but this is my honest experience in the industry, I have been blessed to work with a team that genuinely care and try to help each patient with dedication.. can't speak for all the vets and techs out there obviously, but anyway theres my two bob worth:-)
I 2nd this. That's how it works at my clinic. If you request it they will do it in the exam room, otherwise the pet is taken in the back because typically the dogs/cats are calmer away from their owners.

Chrissy

Pookie, Papillon 4/17/09
Kaiser, GSD 4/14/11
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page