Spaying Indra - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-04-2011, 01:13 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Spaying Indra

I am still debating whether or not I should spay Indra. I just don't know if I should or shouldn't. It would make life much easier for me if I simply did it, however I could never show her which I intended to do.

But maybe I should have just done and over with it. She's an awesome working dog and do I really have to breed her? Just because somebody else wants me to?

What would you do in my position?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-04-2011, 01:23 PM
Knighted Member

I dunno much about your situation but I totally regret spaying my last dog... And so did her breeder. I even cancelled the appointment twice because I just couldn't do it... Then I forced myself to because the vet said it was "best"
post #3 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-04-2011, 01:23 PM
Crowned Member

If you made an agreement to breed her with whomever you acquired her from, then, unless there is a reason you should not, such as a disqualifying conformation fault or temperament fault, then you have an obligation to do so.

Otherwise, it is completely up to you.

The one annoying thing about having intact bitches, is that it interferes with training and trialing in AKC.

I think that spaying for convenience is fine, but I would prefer people wait until they have reached their full size, 18 months for females minimum. But that is certainly a matter of opinion.

Heidi Ho, Odie
Joy-Joy, Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Ramona the Pest, Kojak -- who loves you baby?
Tiny Tinnie, Susie's Uzzi, Kaiah -- The Baby Monster.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-04-2011, 01:29 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax's Mom View Post
I dunno much about your situation but I totally regret spaying my last dog... And so did her breeder. I even cancelled the appointment twice because I just couldn't do it... Then I forced myself to because the vet said it was "best"
I regreted it with Zenzy but that was because of a medical condition. She would have died if we did not do it and she was never the same dog. That is the only reason why I wouldn't do it.

However, with two intact males in the house, it ought to be interesting. I really hope we move before she is completely going into heat because I can either put her outside, or the two males outside, since I plan to put an outdoor kennel into the garage.
post #5 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-04-2011, 02:00 PM
Crowned Member

I think that you should make the decision that you feel best with-this is not a decision that I would ask other people on this board to make for me
post #6 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-04-2011, 02:07 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Nah, they are not supposed to make it for me. I just want to see what other people think. The decision will be mine, if I don't spay her now, I can always spay her later but if I do spay her, I can't reverse that. So it's a final decision and I'd like to see peoples opinion on that and if they ever regretted spaying their dog, just like Jax's Mom already said.

I am also curious as of why they regretted it.
post #7 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-04-2011, 02:10 PM
Crowned Member

I neutered my boy, I dont regret it.

Lauren

Sinister ~ black male GSD 3.11.09
post #8 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-04-2011, 02:13 PM
Crowned Member

If you intended to show her, then I'd wait until I reached that goal. If (for what ever reason) things have changed and you are no longer going to show her, then no harm no foul, I'd get her spayed.

Hondo Von Dopplet L Bauernhof "Hondo"- GSD
Lilie's Tug McGraw "Tug" - Golden Retriever
Maggie - Mini Dachshund (Rescue)
Lonestar Pivo - Texas Blue Lacy
Ashe - Barn Cat
Katie / APHA
post #9 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-04-2011, 02:20 PM
Administrator & Alpha Bitch of the Wild Bunch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.K View Post
do I really have to breed her?
No dog HAS to be bred. Unless there is some sort of contractual obligation to another party, the decision is entirely yours. What other people want doesn't matter.

Unless absolutely sure that she is breed worthy, and absolutely sure that YOU want to be a breeder and take on all that entails, spay her.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-04-2011, 02:23 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Wild View Post
No dog HAS to be bred. Unless there is some sort of contractual obligation to another party, the decision is entirely yours. What other people want doesn't matter.

Unless absolutely sure that she is breed worthy, and absolutely sure that YOU want to be a breeder and take on all that entails, spay her.
I like this comment

Lauren

Sinister ~ black male GSD 3.11.09
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page