Feelings and emotions - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-26-2011, 05:31 AM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Feelings and emotions

Do you believe that dogs can have feelings and emotions just like us human beings?

Nero looks at me with eyes of love, he thinks Im far to wonderful to criticise or judge

Lisa-marie

tally-breeze,Sable Gsd, (Nero) D.o.b 13/06/03
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-26-2011, 05:38 AM

There isn't a doubt in my mind that they do. My father's Beagle always watched me like a hawk and once when i hurt myself in the back yard barked and made all kinds of noise until my father came.

My darling Eva does too, just earlier today when I was stressing over a college paper she came up, licked my face and laid down next to me and I knew it was her trying to calm me down. Sometimes I think dog's know us better than we know ourselves.

Ken, father of:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, Blk & Red GSD pup, 2/1/2011

, Orange Tabby
Sam, Siamese mix
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-26-2011, 06:17 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLARKE-DUNCAN View Post
Do you believe that dogs can have feelings and emotions just like us human beings?

Absolutely

-Steph

GSD's
Allie, gotcha 7/2007

Forever our angels
Meeka, b. 10/31/94-11/25/06
Kelso, b. 9/3/2006-2/09/12
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-26-2011, 06:18 AM

This is a tough one scientifically, because there hasn't been any significant findings to prove either hypothesis. Many people, philosophers, and scientists do believe that animals, especially those with higher intelligence can feel certain emotions, but there is no hard data yet.

Of course, most pet owners would swear that their animals feel all sorts of emotions. Myself included.
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-26-2011, 11:07 AM
Master Member

I would say yes. Haven't you seen a dog that has lost someone they love? I have as I used to do fostering and rehab. Some of those dogs just loose the will to live. I have seen perfectly mild mannered dogs go into a frenzy when they see someone they didn't like (for whatever reason).

I am not sure about some emotions. Greed? Well maybe. Jellisy? again maybe. But Love, sadness, hate, happiness are all a yes no doubt. Why couldn't they have feelings?
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-26-2011, 11:16 AM
Crowned Member

Actually, Yes. There was a study that was on CNN a few weeks ago. I can't find it now but the one "emotion" they focused on in the article was jealousy.
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-26-2011, 11:58 AM
Crowned Member

Why dogs can sense fair play - CNN

Quote:
Why dogs can sense fair play

Dogs appear to experience a range of complex, unpleasant emotions such as jealousy and pride, scientists have discovered.
Until now, this type of behavior had only been shown in humans or chimpanzees, but researchers suspected that other species that live together could be sensitive to fair play -- or a lack of one.
"We are learning that dogs, horses, and perhaps many other species are far more emotionally complex than we ever realized," Paul Morris, a psychologist at the University of Portsmouth who studies animal emotions, told The Sunday Times.
Dogs appear to experience a range of complex, unpleasant emotions such as jealousy and pride, scientists have discovered.
Until now, this type of behavior had only been shown in humans or chimpanzees, but researchers suspected that other species that live together could be sensitive to fair play -- or a lack of one.
"We are learning that dogs, horses, and perhaps many other species are far more emotionally complex than we ever realized," Paul Morris, a psychologist at the University of Portsmouth who studies animal emotions, told The Sunday Times.

"They can suffer simple forms of many emotions we once thought only primates could experience."
Scientists noted that dogs hate to see their owners being affectionate to other dogs and can suffer if a new baby or partner arrives on the scene.
To test the theory, Friederike Range and colleagues at the University of Vienna in Austria asked 33 trained dogs to extend a paw to a human.
The animals performed the trick virtually all of the time whether they were given a reward or not -- when alone or with another dog.
But the dogs' enthusiasm waned when they saw other dogs being rewarded but received nothing themselves.
Dogs that were ignored extended their paws much less often, doing so in only 13 out of 30 trials. They also showed more stress, such as licking or scratching themselves.
"They are clearly unhappy with the unfair situation", Range told New Scientist magazine. She also suspects that this sensitivity might stretch beyond food to more abstract things like praise and attention.
"It might explain why some dogs react with 'new baby envy' when their owners have a child," she said.
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-26-2011, 12:00 PM
Crowned Member

just google

dog emotion studies

and you'll find a lot of info
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-26-2011, 12:15 PM
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

Here's a great book on that topic: http://www.amazon.com/Love-Dog-Understanding-Emotion-Friend/dp/0345477146

-Debbie-
Cava 1/6/18
Keefer 8/25/05-4/24/19 ~ The sweetest boy
Halo 11/9/08-6/17/18 ~ You left pawprints on our hearts
Dena 9/12/04-10/4/08 ~ Forever would have been too short
Cassidy 6/8/00-10/4/04
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-26-2011, 12:18 PM
Banned

It's no brainer that they have feelings and emotions. I don't even understand how anyone can believe that they don't have feelings and emotions.

Anger, Hurt, Hunger, Thirst, Happyness, Frustration, Depression, Fear, Grief... are those not feelings and emotions? And you can find all of these in dogs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page