Is it safe to let your dog eat a knuckle bone? - German Shepherd Dog Forums
View Poll Results: Have you had a bad experience due to your dog eating a bone?
Yes 17 24.29%
No 53 75.71%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-17-2011, 06:09 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Question Is it safe to let your dog eat a knuckle bone?

I went to the store and bought each of my dogs a big beef knuckle bone. My question is, once they get all of the meat off of it, is it safe to let them eat the actual bone? I stopped giving them raw hide because it gave them an upset stomach. But I just want to know if this is safe.

*US Army Mom*

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-17-2011, 06:10 PM

Depends on who you ask. I don't do it because Jag got choked on one of the bone pieces when he chewed it up.

Nick

Jag.. Jukk Last Van Hauser GSD, K-9
Sable..Dutch Shepherd, Explosives Detection Dog
Arko.. Bane VanDerHaus Bildtunderschrift GSD
post #3 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-17-2011, 06:12 PM
Zombie Queen Moderator

And I had a dog crack his molar on one.........

I wish you could buy shoulder blades. My dogs have some of those from af riends farm and they were ice.

Nancy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog

- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-17-2011, 06:13 PM
Elite Member

Should be ok as long as their under supervision! Nero eats fresh lamb bones after we have had a sunday roast, He loves them after he has taken the meat of them he will crack open the bone to get at the marrowbone juices inside! We take away the sharp small pieces!!
post #5 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-17-2011, 06:15 PM

Usually lamb bones are much softer and not as brittle.

Nick

post #6 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-17-2011, 06:25 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

One more detail, the bones aren't raw, I bought them at the pet store. I know that raw bones are safer, but bought them one and I suppose because they aren't used to eating raw meat, it gave them the runs. I had a very bad experience once with them eating a ham bone, and having a hard time passing it, now I am wary of bones but decided to try this knuckle bone. I haven't gave it to them yet though, I wanted to hear some opinions on it first.
Also Brutus, my german shepherd, is still at the vets (he underwent emergency surgery) and I wanted to give him a treat tomorrow to welcome him home.

*US Army Mom*

Last edited by Germanshepherdlova; 04-17-2011 at 06:28 PM.
post #7 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-17-2011, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germanshepherdlova View Post
One more detail, the bones aren't raw, I bought them at the pet store. I know that raw bones are safer, but bought them one and I suppose because they aren't used to eating raw meat, it gave them the runs. I had a very bad experience once with them eating a ham bone, and having a hard time passing it, now I am wary of bones but decided to try this knuckle bone. I haven't gave it to them yet though, I wanted to hear some opinions on it first.
I would recommend against it, but that is just me and based on my experiences. One which included a late night trip to the vet and a lot of $$ later.

Nick

post #8 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-17-2011, 06:39 PM
Knighted Member

I get them free from the butcher... They just hand them over when I ask for "dog bones"... Every once in a while they get the runs or throw up if they eat too much but for the most part they seem to enjoy them.
post #9 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-17-2011, 06:45 PM
Knighted Member

I'm wondering if our local butcher will gives us bones, sell them or what not. <3 I should check it out next time I'm in the area. 30 mins away! LOL!
post #10 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-17-2011, 07:18 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Bebe
I have had dogs as small as a Papillion to as large as a St. Bernard and the vets say no bones. Period.

Then I get my GSD and find the breeder gives her dogs 1/2 chicken in the summer when they don't like to eat as well. She said an uncooked chicken bone is ok but not a cooked bone.

I have given other dogs (not GSD) and they got sick from the tiny pieces they got off the bone. My vet wanted to shoot me.

So, no bones for us.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page