NILIF Poll - German Shepherd Dog Forums
View Poll Results: NILIF, what best describes how you do or don't use it
I start each puppy out using NILIF 17 31.48%
I have used NILIF when one of my dogs has an issue, then use it with all dogs. 3 5.56%
I use NILIF when necessary with an individual dog 9 16.67%
There are parts of NILIF that I use with my dogs. 18 33.33%
I do not use NILIF, though some of our regular training or management might be similar. 7 12.96%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-04-2011, 04:34 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

NILIF Poll

After hijacking a thread, some of us were wondering how many people use NILIF.

Heidi Ho, Odie
Joy-Joy, Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Ramona the Pest, Kojak -- who loves you baby?
Tiny Tinnie, Susie's Uzzi, Kaiah -- The Baby Monster.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-04-2011, 04:41 PM
Crowned Member

Thanks Selzer! I use strict NILIF on puppies until the rules are established, then relax a bit on the strictness, at about a year old.

Leah
Niko: American Showline GSD 5 years old
Rosa: American Muppet Dog (GSD/Border Collie mix) 5 years old
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-04-2011, 04:45 PM
Crowned Member

Mine is a bit of several of those options, but I chose "I use parts of NILIF" because it seemed the best fit.

I start all puppies off with pretty strict NILIF. They do have toys in the xpen when inside for free time, etc. Things like not bolting out the door in front of me, having to sit for a treat/toy, having to sit, wait, and make eye contact for all meals, etc.

I don't enforce it with adults all the time, though will routinely do things to ensure they are stll aware "NILIF" and make them sit, wait, eye contact for food or toy, etc.

But I don't know or utilize all the principles of it, I have toys laying around at all times that they can play with whenever they want - they don't have to do anything to earn them. Most days I just toss the food to them in a bowl after the early months of training, etc.

My dogs are all very respectful and obedient. I don't enfoce it unless an issue comes up, which is rare.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-04-2011, 04:58 PM
Crowned Member

I choose that I start it with all puppies.

I do the same as the previous two posters, basically. Start out strong to ensure boundaries/rules are known, and then relax a little as they become compliant regularly. Now I only ask for sits with each dog at random times, it's not for every walk/feeding/door/fetch game.

Danielle, owner of...
Fraggle Rock Collars & ...
Fraggle Vom Richcreek CGC CA
Red Dog's Reconnaissance Man CGC CL1-R CL1-H CL1-F CL1-S USJ
General Patton Vom Winter Storm
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-04-2011, 05:02 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

I chose the last as I really do not know, nor have ever used it. But I do take puppies through a lot of classes during their first year, so they do get a good idea of what they need to do, we bond and trust each other through training, and they learn that listening to me is a good idea.

Heidi Ho, Odie
Joy-Joy, Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Ramona the Pest, Kojak -- who loves you baby?
Tiny Tinnie, Susie's Uzzi, Kaiah -- The Baby Monster.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-04-2011, 05:09 PM
Crowned Member

I swear I should start wearing my glasses when reading the boards.

I selected: I have used NILIF when one of my dogs has an issue, then use it with all dogs.

And I should have selected: I use NILIF when necessary with an individual dog

I've only used it a few times with my problem children (and it has always worked pretty good!)

Gayle, Faith, Ledgie, Scooby
At the Bridge: Andy, Abbey, Tasha, Tex, Echo, Yukon, JR, Too, Niki, Bo, Ringer, Kelly, Honey, Mac, Slider & Bruiser
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-04-2011, 05:12 PM
Crowned Member

I selected that I used parts of NILIF as well.

I may not use it 100% , but I use it as a tool. When there are changes in the home, or something that has caused stress through out dogdom, I'll bring it in 100% for a little while. I think it helps bring back something that is normal to them, something they understand. Something they can count on. It helps stablize dogdom.

When I have company, and I can tell that Hondo makes them nervous, I'll give them treats to provide to Hondo. In my mind, just feeding the dog doesn't help take the edge of for the human. It might for the dog, but to the human having a large dog stare them in the eye while they hand feed them a treat might be a little intimidating. But, having the human tell the dog to sit, and receive a response from the dog gives the human a feeling of control. It helps bridge that gap.

I don't make any of my dogs work for their meals. However, if I am preparing their meals, and they have the zoomies, they will sit and wait. If they are jumping on the door to be let in, they have to sit and wait. And nobody begs at my house. That is a no-no.

Everymorning before I go to work, everyone gets a treat. They are being treated because I'm leaving. They don't work for it. Every night before I get into bed, everyone gets a treat. They don't work for it. They are being treated because it's the end of the day, quiet time. So in fact, the treats aren't exactly free - but they don't have to do anything physical to get them.

I don't think NILIF has to be black and white.

Hondo Von Dopplet L Bauernhof "Hondo"- GSD
Lilie's Tug McGraw "Tug" - Golden Retriever
Maggie - Mini Dachshund (Rescue)
Lonestar Pivo - Texas Blue Lacy
Ashe - Barn Cat
Katie / APHA
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-04-2011, 06:42 PM

I chose "There are parts that I use on my dogs". I had never heard of NILIF until I started poking around this forum but the little that I have read about it fits some things that I do with my dogs. I set the rules and boundaries early so, for the most part, the pooches know what they can and cannot do.

Candie
And my Girls.....
Dallas - ACD mix, 11 yrs
Willow - GSD, 5 yrs, CGC
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-04-2011, 06:56 PM
Crowned Member

I guess I do a combo of the last two. I don't actively think I do NILIF, but rather just expect a certain set of behaviors from my dogs. Elsa has earned certain things by having manners...she gets to get on the furniture, etc. Some stuff is totally against NILIF in the sense that I regularly use her jumping on me to get ramped up for training...on the other hand she is NOT allowed to do it to people she encounters out and about and she is a very polite dog overall, so I haven't really had to enforce it too much.

However, with fosters it's a totally different ballgame. They usually get tethered to me and I rule a bit with an iron fist. But I don't think of those as my dogs and they are generally not dogs that I am worried about integrating into the house for a long-term basis, but rather trying to make them as "adoptable" as soon as possible.

J, mom to:
- Elsa - "Da Pookins"
- Medo - "The Beast From The East"
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-04-2011, 07:22 PM
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

I leave toys out too, or most of them at least - I reserve some, like tug toys, that they can only use with the humans. And the "no attention on demand" thing is only for pushy behaviors that I want to extinguish, otherwise I don't worry about it.

-Debbie-
Cava 1/6/18
Keefer 8/25/05-4/24/19 ~ The sweetest boy
Halo 11/9/08-6/17/18 ~ You left pawprints on our hearts
Dena 9/12/04-10/4/08 ~ Forever would have been too short
Cassidy 6/8/00-10/4/04
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page