German Shepherds Forum banner

Do you prefer male or female dogs?

Lucy82's Poll: Male or Female Dog?

6K views 33 replies 25 participants last post by  Chicagocanine 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Many people have a dog or two but they prefer boy or girl dogs over one other. My family has always preferred girl dogs. What do you prefer:boy or girl dogs?? Why??:confused:

#2 ·
I always preferred male dogs. Well, I have four sons, and I guess I felt more comfortable with males of any sort! I also think it made me feel like they were my protector.

However, I decided to try out getting a female this time around because the ones I have seen have been more nurturing and "maternal" to my little girl. I am SO glad I got a female. She is awesome!

#3 ·
Lucy, you keep posting in the Poll forum, but not including a poll in your post. If you just want to ask a question and have people answer in a post rather than set up a poll, you should be using another forum.

#4 · (Edited)
Lucy82's Poll: Male or Female Dog?

(Lucy82 to make a poll you start like normal but scroll way down on the page and there is a selection

Post a Poll
Yes, post a poll with this thread
Number of poll options: (Maximum: 200)

that you can start making up the poll....) Like I did for you above! :wub:

#6 ·
Isn't that the best poll ever! Sure exactly the way the OP would have worded it (not???) . I'm not prejudiced against males.... really :wild:

#8 ·
You forgot one.

Do you prefer dogs over people?

#9 ·
At my place, the cats lay down the rules for the rest of us. (Oh, was that a different question?)

No preference. I've adopted my first two dogs based on their personality, not their gender. I got a male GSD because I already had a dominant female in the house, and male/female combos are a better mix than female/female combos, especially taking my female's temperament into account.

So far, it has worked out beautifully.

#11 ·
Here too, the cats lay down the rules for all. :wild:

I can't decide whether to get a male or female dog first, but am slightly leaning toward female. Eventually I would like to have a male and a female.

#12 ·
The cat is the ruling queen in this household too. :D

In 23 years of living with dogs, I have had female-female combos and female-male combos but never male-male combos, except for foster situations. Other than anatomical differences I really haven't noticed much in the way of differences and don't have a preference one way or the other.

I have noticed, however, that female cats are MUCH smarter than male cats and that cats in general are very, very good at training everyone to do their bidding. :help:

#16 ·
I votes for mix of the two...

My dream dog was always a female german shepherd. I waited my whole life to get one and having lucy now has been worth every second of that wait.

She always seems to get along better with male dogs. Never really seems to care too much for other females. All of her best buddies are male dogs.

In a year or so, I plan on getting a male. Opposite sexes always seem to get along best. At least that's my experience with dogs.

#17 ·
The poll choices made me LOL. Too funny! I picked female, just because there are some things about male dogs that can be a little gross. You all know what I mean. :)

#18 ·
I've only had female dogs but when we get our next one, it will be a male just to head off any issues (hopefully).

Leah - that's why I have always had female dogs and usually cats! I had one male cat years ago and I got a nasty surprise one night when I looked at him :shock: :rofl:

#20 ·
I have both and probably always will but WAY prefer the girls personalities.

A good analogy of their differences is similiar to the differences between a 14 year old girl and a 14 year old boy. The girls are smarter and more mature....same for dog genders...only it last their lifetime.

#23 ·
I've had one of each, and I think it's like comparing apples and oranges. I loved my male dog, but Sasha is so much calmer and has a longer attention span. At the same time my boy was just so goofy you had to love him :p. I think my next dog will be a male, mostly because I'll probably end up getting him while I still have Sasha and am not sure about a female/female combo.

#31 ·
I have always liked working with and training females. I found male dogs annoying. Now I have a male mixed in with these girls and I adore him, but it required the right male. He is a lot like his mother in many of his personality traits, but different. He has brought some balance to the household of witches. :) Would I have another male? Maybe some time down the road. We shall see.

#32 ·
Females. My female gets along equally well with both genders. I don't think she knows she's a female. I also don't think she knows she's a German Shepherd.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.