Exercise, training & work...where do you fall? - German Shepherd Dog Forums
View Poll Results: What is your work situation & how much do you train your dog?
I am single & I work full-time,dog gets 1+ hours of non-yard exercise daily 6 8.22%
I am single & I work part-time,dog gets 1+ hours of non-yard exercise daily 4 5.48%
I am single & I don't work,dog gets 1+ hours of non-yard exercise daily 4 5.48%
I am single & I work full-time,dog gets <1 hours of non-yard exercise daily 2 2.74%
I am single & I work part-time,dog gets <1 hour of non-yard exercise daily 1 1.37%
In relationship, both work full-time,dog gets 1+ hours of non-yard exercise daily 10 13.70%
In relationship, both work part-time,dog gets 1+ hours of non-yard exercise daily 4 5.48%
In relationship, work f/t and p/t,dog gets 1+ hours of non-yard exercise daily 6 8.22%
In relationship, someone stays home f/t, dog gets 1+ hours of non-yard exercise daily 10 13.70%
In relationship, both work full-time,dog gets <1 hours of non-yard exercise daily 10 13.70%
In relationship, work f/t and p/t,dog gets <1 hours of non-yard exercise daily 2 2.74%
I'm a student/other, dog gets 1+ hours of non-yard exercise daily 9 12.33%
'm a student/other, dog gets <1 hours of non-yard exercise daily 1 1.37%
My dog gets <1 hour of non-yard exercise daily but 1+ on weekends 4 5.48%
My dog only gets exercised in my yard/on my property during the week 1 1.37%
Other 7 9.59%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-30-2011, 05:41 PM Thread Starter

Exercise, training & work...where do you fall?

Just curious with all of the different threads on daily exercise & training. I know I won't cover all the options, so if you are "other", please specify.

Regen, rescue female GSD born 4/09, adopted 4/30/2010.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
aka "Osa," WGSL GSD female born 7/08, brought home 12/24/10.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-30-2011, 06:22 PM
Administrator & LOTR Addict

You forgot the poll. Do you mean our exercising or the dogs exercising? Please clarify your question.

Lisa Clark

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena IPO1 KKL CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) IPO2 TR3 KKL B/HOT, Jarka (up and coming) BHOT, and gone but not forgotten,
Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-30-2011, 06:32 PM Thread Starter

Hee hee, oops! I just put exercise on there, too many options with training, too

Regen, rescue female GSD born 4/09, adopted 4/30/2010.

aka "Osa," WGSL GSD female born 7/08, brought home 12/24/10.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-31-2011, 12:39 AM
Elite Member

I answered the first one. I am single, I work full-time and I work on something with Madix for at least an hour every day. I don't have a yard, I live in an apartment so I either take him to the park and we play fetch, work on fast downs/sits, play with the flirt pole and work on obedience. In the house I work on one-jump training, perch work, basic positioning and commands and new tricks. Plus, I have three training days a week - right now we have CGC class (again lol) on Mondays, Thursdays we have Flyball and Sundays are Schutzhund (and we go to open agility when we can with the local club). In March we will be having Rally on Mondays, Flyball Thursdays and Schutzhund Sundays. In May, Agility on one night (not sure which yet) and then Flyball and Schutzhund.
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-31-2011, 12:45 AM
Crowned Member

I am single.

I am a graduate student.

I work part time.

Stark participates in agility 1 hour per week.

Stark participates in schutzhund (on hiatus at the moment) 1-2 days per week; anywhere from 2 hours to 3 hours (time split up over the course of the day).

We have a formal nightly training group that meets at the local park or around the city which is anywhere from 1/2 hour to an hour (sometimes more with play in between or after).

We work on a lot of things in our apartment such as perch work, agility jumps/weaves, various commands and tricks.

We also work on other things on our nightly walk/play time at the local park or school yard (no yard, as I live in an apartment).

We also try to track 2-4 times per week (yes, even in the winter!).

We have just started working on rally patterns recently for an upcoming trial so that is done throughout the day for 5-10 minutes each session.

**Stark has more of a life than I do.**

G Wild Winds Zephyr of Cognac BH, HIC, NTD, ITD, CGN, TT
Wild Winds Archangel Raphael HIC, TT
XX z Weberhaus
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-31-2011, 09:02 AM

I'm a grad student, working with an assistantship at my school.

We go to an intermediate puppy class for an hour a week, and will probably move to agility or something once this one is finished.

We walk every day, 30-90 minutes, play in the dog park or the park across the street.

We spend time doing some obedience and tricks in the house, and a good game of tug/fetch.

I try to hit the dog park 3-5 times a week, and he gets to go to an all day day-care about once a week. Day care is a life saver during finals.

At worst - he gets 30 mins of outside play time, and about 30 mins inside time. (More than a day or two of this and I have a wound-up crazy dog! Which is why I discovered daycare for finals weeks.)
At best - we spend a full day doing things.

[FONT="Trebuchet MS"]-Heather

Whitman ARCH, RL1X, RL1 (AOE), RL2 (AOE), CL1, CL2, CL3 3/01/2010 GSDx
George 3/01/2008 Orange Tabby DSH cat
Sofia 3/01/2008 Black DSH cat
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-31-2011, 09:12 AM

Single (live alone and my family aren't dog people).

Work full time.

Grad school part time (one night a week - I did more one semester and decided I wasn't home with the dogs enough).

Dogs get a 45-60 min walk most days, more on weekends. Dog walker comes on days I have class or something after work. 30 min of training at home daily. Play time in the yard with each other (and me). Goal is class once a week for each dog (Kaiser starts Wed, need to wait on next set of classes for Raven). Socialization on weekends (either rescue events or trips out).
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-31-2011, 09:19 AM
Knighted Member

I marked other: In a relationship but we are both home 24/7.

Molly gets an hour to an hour and a half walk every morning, fetch for about half an hour in the yard, an hour to an hour and a half at the park every afternoon (just not in the last few weeks as she is recovering from surgery).

We start agility next week - an hour class a week.

Miss Molly Moo (aka The Piranha/The four legged Mouth) GSD 31/10
Raennik Hassan (Cooper) GSD 19/10/11
Paris Tabby Cat 15 years
Texas Tabby Cat 15 years
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-31-2011, 09:27 AM
Crowned Member

I'm of the belief that 'exercising' consists more than walking (jogging / running) with your dog. Even if we have adverse weather conditions, I make sure that I do something each day to stimulate my dogs, mentally and physically - even if it's just lightly tossing a ball in the house, or playing different house games with them.

Hondo Von Dopplet L Bauernhof "Hondo"- GSD
Lilie's Tug McGraw "Tug" - Golden Retriever
Maggie - Mini Dachshund (Rescue)
Lonestar Pivo - Texas Blue Lacy
Ashe - Barn Cat
Katie / APHA
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-31-2011, 09:40 AM
Crowned Member

Married. Hubby works full-time, I work part-time and go to school. Rocky gets less than 1hr of non-yard exercise per day, but check back with me when Kopper is 7 months old.

- 6 years

At the Bridge:
Cash Adopted 2007 - 7/28/2010

Rocky 4/19/2002 - 1/16/2015 to DM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page